Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a '14 Dart with the 2.0 engine. The engine cover rubbed a hole in the A/C line so I had to replace it. It's a dealer only item and took 5 days to come in. Any time I've had an A/C line unhooked for an extended length of time I've found it good insurance to go ahead and replace the receiver drier when I go back together. Anyway, where is it located? I not new to home maecanal jobs but darned if I can find it on this car.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
24 - Heating and Air Conditioning / Plumbing / DRIER, A/C Receiver / Description
DESCRIPTION

The A/C receiver/drier (3) is mounted to the left side of the A/C condenser (2) and is on the high-side of the A/C system. The A/C receiver/drier helps remove moisture from the refrigerant, filters the refrigerant, stores any unnecessary refrigerant and retains any refrigerant vapor that may leave the A/C condenser, until it becomes a liquid.
The A/C receiver/drier is integral to the A/C condenser and must be replaced with the condenser as an assembly.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If you are doing this yourself, run your vacuum for several hours or even overnight. The vacuum should boil off any moisture. I do this all the time on my Neons and don't replace the receiver drier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alpinegreenneon for the info and picture. I was kind of perplexed about the accumulator/dryer being integrated with the condenser because I had already picked a replacement up at my local NAPA store. So I decided to take a look see. I pulled down the lower bumper to radiator air deflector (held in place with plastic push clips) to gain easy access. I could see that the dryer was not integrated to the condenser but was held in place with a T-40 torx head screw, (the aftermarket dryer, on the left in the pic, came with a 12 millimeter headed bolt). Since I already had a new dryer I decided to go ahead and replace it. It took all of about 15 minutes start to finish. Tools needed are a T-40 torx screwdriver a plastic clip pry tool a 12 millimeter socket, extension, and ratchet, a metal pick and the cap off a quart jug of rear-end lube. The accumulator/dryer has a male and female port that mate up with a male and female port on the condenser. Each male port has 2 O-rings. Use the metal pick to carefully remove the old O-rings from the condenser. Use a little 134-a refrigerant oil to lube the O-rings then put the large end of the rear end lube cap over the male port on the condenser and you will be able to easily push the O-rings into potion on the male port. You will find that the clearance between the transmission oil lines and dryer is a little tight but with a some encouragement the dryer will pass by them. Don’t forget to put a little refrigerant oil on the accumulator/dryer O-rings also. I noticed that I failed to get the socket, extension and ratchet in the picture but y’all get the idea.
ac2.JPG
ac1.JPG
ac3.JPG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts