Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Dart back in May with 89k on it for 8k and since it has been my daily driver and has treated me well. It has took a 1500 mile road trip and pulled along fully loaded a lot better then I was expecting with having took that same trip with a couple other 4 cylinders and them not being as happy with it. The 2.0 does leave something to be desired but in the end I am glad for the fuel economy I am getting. I did replace the spark plugs, and noticed that #4 was the only one really way out of gap range and that #1 was the hardest to remove... Totally not use to seeing OEM spark plugs at nearly over 90k as I did the replace at 96k.

I ended up finding these forums as I searched for guides to upgrading to LED lighting in the car. This has been my current ongoing project. I already got the License Plate done with no errors, I got the lights for the switchbacks and reverse but waiting on the resistors for them as I am trying plug in play before wiring them in myself. Then I have LEDs in my front lights and waiting for the plug-in-play harness (had a bulb go out otherwise I would have waited to put them in) and going to see if that works. As well got the racetrack light to install as well. After this I am going to tackle the mirrors for blinker mirrors with defrost, from reading sounds like it is going to be a hell of a project.

·
Super Moderator
4,524 Posts
I bought a Dart back in May with 89k on it for 8k and since it has been my daily driver and has treated me well. It has took a 1500 mile road trip and pulled along fully loaded a lot better then I was expecting with having took that same trip with a couple other 4 cylinders and them not being as happy with it. The 2.0 does leave something to be desired but in the end I am glad for the fuel economy I am getting. I did replace the spark plugs, and noticed that #4 was the only one really way out of gap range and that #1 was the hardest to remove... Totally not use to seeing OEM spark plugs at nearly over 90k as I did the replace at 96k.

I ended up finding these forums as I searched for guides to upgrading to LED lighting in the car. This has been my current ongoing project. I already got the License Plate done with no errors, I got the lights for the switchbacks and reverse but waiting on the resistors for them as I am trying plug in play before wiring them in myself. Then I have LEDs in my front lights and waiting for the plug-in-play harness (had a bulb go out otherwise I would have waited to put them in) and going to see if that works. As well got the racetrack light to install as well. After this I am going to tackle the mirrors for blinker mirrors with defrost, from reading sounds like it is going to be a hell of a project.
Welcome to the forum! I am glad the Dart is treating you well! In terms of the LEDs, it sounds like you found my write up on the error resistor write up on how to use them. It has worked successfully for many Dart owners! Wiring them all up is really not too bad. They make connectors now that you don't even need to solder. I just picked these up for a project I did in my kitchen! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RMRCC3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All they require is a little heat and it will melt the solder in the center, and essentially give you a seal like shrink wrap. They worked great! And with heat, you could use a heat gun, it does not need to be heated with fire or soldering iron. A hair dryer might even work!

Yeah the turn signal I heard was a big issue. For a while it was impossible! That's what the turn signals were too. LED turn signals in the front were impossible until I was able to figure it out with my buddy. I am sure you found the thread but here is what I found on that topic in case you did not https://www.dodge-dart.org/threads/mopar-upgraded-turn-signal-mirrors.17078/page-2#post-287770

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had not saw the thread on the mirrors yet, guess I need to find a set with the wire harness then. Does AlfaODB have the sales code to add for the mirrors?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Had not saw the thread on the mirrors yet, guess I need to find a set with the wire harness then. Does AlfaODB have the sales code to add for the mirrors?
With alfaOBD, you do not enter sales codes. You need to look in the BCM/car configuration/options pull down menu and then select enable. A quick look in that menu, I did not see anything about turn signals in the mirrors. You may want to check the Ram forum thread about alfaOBD:

That thread is huge. If you don't find it there, check with Alexey, the developer.
[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While going to turn off my TPMS I think I saw an option for the mirrors, once I get them and have them wired I will test it out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added TFT cluster and Steering wheel swap to the project as found a leather steering wheel with the buttons for cheap enough to be better then going for leather wrap and the steering wheel cluster controls. No I am not going to do the radio swap, will end up going aftermarket when I do the radio.

·
Super Moderator
4,524 Posts
Added TFT cluster and Steering wheel swap to the project as found a leather steering wheel with the buttons for cheap enough to be better then going for leather wrap and the steering wheel cluster controls. No I am not going to do the radio swap, will end up going aftermarket when I do the radio.
Probably for the best. The Uconnect is nice, but it also is dated. You can get much better in aftermarket now, especially if you have the AlfaOBD to Proxy align it and remove any issues that would come from replacing the radio.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah definitely got AlfaODB, needed it for more then one thing so it was going to easily pay for itself.

@Cntrollerfanboy

Will this work once I get a male plug to use as a harness to not tap in to my wiring? My worry is that negative cable only on one side out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well speaker replacement is coming sooner then expected. Have a blown speaker driver rear and it is driving me crazy. Was first looking at speaker replacememnt solely but got head unit and all six speaker (going to 6 speaker setup) for the double the price of just the set due to a sale.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have come to the conclusion that using a harness for the switchbacks is not possible. Or I just have the wrong socket or plug for it... but two sockets and two plugs with no working DRL but works fine when plugged in normally... So needless to say I will be going to T-taps and hooking in to the stock wires. Thankfully was only a 24$ lesson.

·
Super Moderator
4,524 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that using a harness for the switchbacks is not possible. Or I just have the wrong socket or plug for it... but two sockets and two plugs with no working DRL but works fine when plugged in normally... So needless to say I will be going to T-taps and hooking in to the stock wires. Thankfully was only a 24$ lesson.
Yeah those online "canceler" harnesses will not work. You definitely need a very very VERY specific setup for this to work. If you can tackle the wiring, it is all right here for you to follow. It's not going to be as clean as a plug and play, but if you want LEDs, this works. https://www.dodge-dart.org/threads/led-front-turn-signals-possibly-figured-out-d.25130/page-2#post-400079

The main issue is it's not just the turn signals that are the issue in the system. It's also the park light, since they are the same lights. So the 50w 20 ohm resistor is the key to making them all happy. But only ONE of them is needed. Because each sides turn signal is monitored. It tells you if left or right is out. However, the park light is the same circuit to both sides. Along with the corner markers. So that's a lot of variation in lights that can be out to cause the error. We found that the resistor I just mentioned was perfect for LEDs that are not any special type of canbus LEDs already - since those usually have some resistance in them already. It's only needed to be installed on one side since the wires to each bulb go back to the same place. However, we found better success on the passanger side. Not really sure why.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I really did want to see if I could create a harness, was trying my best not to have to tap in to the stock wiring during all of this, but it did give me some practice for doing the wiring job so there is that. Did you also drop LEDs in the sidelights?

·
Super Moderator
4,524 Posts
Yeah I really did want to see if I could create a harness, was trying my best not to have to tap in to the stock wiring during all of this, but it did give me some practice for doing the wiring job so there is that. Did you also drop LEDs in the sidelights?
I left those as is. Everything else is LED, and those don't blink or no one will really notice them so I just left them. Plus adding a whiter light there kind of creates a canary yellow color in the corners vs the amber, which I did not like.

You can totally make your own harness though. I thought you meant one of those plug and play harnesses online. Those don't work. But if you make your own socket and connector that will essentially extend the old wiring, then you can tap into those wires vs the cars wires. As long as the socket has all the same wires, it should work. I had a friend do that as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, the sockets I have were a dud with DRLs tried wiring them every which way and could not get the DRLs working but the signals worked every time... I had two different male connectors and both did not work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts