Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum! So I've been having an issue where my car will shut off at random, and then lock up entirely. After a few minutes of waiting, I can restart the car but it is a very hard start and shakes the entire car.

I had the throttle body and housing replaced yesterday ($630) and now I'm back here having the same issues as before.

Battery is not the issue as its reading fully charged. No codes come up and I can't make this incident recur so that the auto shop can fix it or further investigate the issue.

At this point, it's putting mine and my son's lives in danger due to the issues we're facing with it and I can't get someone to dig around to find the issue.

Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
The 2.4L has MultiAir and it is an electro/hydraulic intake cam. If your oil level is low, the MultiAir will shut off the engine when it is starved for oil. There is a Customer Satisfaction Campaign to fix this problem and it's free at a dealer. You probably did not need to replace the throttle body. In the meantime, check the oil level and top up if it's low.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2.4L has MultiAir and it is an electro/hydraulic intake cam. If your oil level is low, the MultiAir will shut off the engine when it is starved for oil. There is a Customer Satisfaction Campaign to fix this problem and it's free at a dealer. You probably did not need to replace the throttle body. In the meantime, check the oil level and top up if it's low.
We've had the oil levels checked and that's not the issue. :(

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
Have you checked for fault codes? If so, please post the numbers.

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
If you do a google search for MultiAir random stalling, you will get a boat load of hits. In almost all cases, it's low oil. Please, if you know how, check the oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you do a google search for MultiAir random stalling, you will get a boat load of hits. In almost all cases, it's low oil. Please, if you know how, check the oil.
As I said before, which you seem to have overlooked, we HAVE checked the oil levels. They are normal.

We have checked all basic steps and couldn't find anything. No codes. No oil low. No loss of fuel.

I came here as a last ditch effort at figuring it out.

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
You might have a wire harness broken wire or rub through that makes a short when the engine moves. Look for any place where the harness is close to metal. Intermittent stalling can be difficult to diagnose because it isn't a part but rather wiring to a part.
The stalling for no reason is exactly what happens when the MultiAir isn't getting oil. That includes the hard, rough restart. If you read some of the threads with similar symptoms, it will sound very similar to yours. You might want to get the free fix just to eliminate that possibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts