Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2014 dodge dart 2.4 6 speed M-transmission.

Just ran it to 22k miles. I started noticing my first and second gear would stress rev and sometimes not even accelerate. I also notice my RPM not acting normal when i release the clutch. its been about 4 days now and it got worse. I could smell something burning but i am guessing that's the clutch. I'm taking my car to the dealership to have it checked out but before i do. i want some information on the parts or what it might be. I know how dealerships are so i would like to know before going in.

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
Sounds like the clutch going out. If that's the case, you might be paying for it. Warranty doesn't cover wear items, unless there is a failure in the part well before it should be worn.

·
Super Moderator
4,743 Posts
Sounds like the clutch going out. If that's the case, you might be paying for it. Warranty doesn't cover wear items, unless there is a failure in the part well before it should be worn.
What she said ^ Sounds like your clutch is slipping which they will put on you. If you are a rough driver and hard on the clutch that might be the issue. If you are just learning that might also be it. One thing with these cars is people find it hard not to ride the clutch out in most gears because the transmission doesn't seem to like it. I've driven a couple other manuals and to get this car smooth (which isn't all the time either) you really need to play with that clutch and engagement point.

This isn't the first story of a factory clutch going out at around your mileage, also with no abuse. Or little abuse. I honestly don't think these clutches are that great and if the dealer tells you yea it's your clutch then sadly that's your option. There are some upgraded clutches but I think they are only for the turbos. I believe they are working on it for the 2.4 engines. I sure hope so because I'm at 18k and I am not exactly nice to the clutch sometimes :wink: I have a feeling mine will go out eventually, and I am going to try and do it myself.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have almost 30K miles on my 14 GT with manual. I usually drive with enthusiasm and spirit so I am not that easy on my clutch either. I know an early replacement is the side effect of my driving style but I have fun. I don't have any where to try to do the replacement myself. My only hope is to find an independent repair shop to not get stuck with the high dealer cost and labor.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
What she said ^ Sounds like your clutch is slipping which they will put on you. If you are a rough driver and hard on the clutch that might be the issue. If you are just learning that might also be it. One thing with these cars is people find it hard not to ride the clutch out in most gears because the transmission doesn't seem to like it. I've driven a couple other manuals and to get this car smooth (which isn't all the time either) you really need to play with that clutch and engagement point.

This isn't the first story of a factory clutch going out at around your mileage, also with no abuse. Or little abuse. I honestly don't think these clutches are that great and if the dealer tells you yea it's your clutch then sadly that's your option. There are some upgraded clutches but I think they are only for the turbos. I believe they are working on it for the 2.4 engines. I sure hope so because I'm at 18k and I am not exactly nice to the clutch sometimes :wink: I have a feeling mine will go out eventually, and I am going to try and do it myself.
i agree, ive never had to feather the clutch like i do on this dart. also agree with finding an aftermarket clutch if you have to replace yours, doesnt make sense to put the same OEM clutch back in the car after it has already prematurely failed you. hopefully there are aftermarket options for 2.4 now.

·
Super Moderator
4,743 Posts
i agree, ive never had to feather the clutch like i do on this dart. also agree with finding an aftermarket clutch if you have to replace yours, doesnt make sense to put the same OEM clutch back in the car after it has already prematurely failed you. hopefully there are aftermarket options for 2.4 now.
MPX just came out with a lightweight flywheel, clutch, and even have replacement slave cylinders because they know people (13 model year) are going to have them go out lol

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
MPX just came out with a lightweight flywheel, clutch, and even have replacement slave cylinders because they know people (13 model year) are going to have them go out lol
master, or slave cylinders? or are they one in the same in the dart?

im happy that MPx offers clutch parts, now just need them to offer more upgrades at the shifter box, cables, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts