Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shop says that I need to replace the Spark Plug Tubes in my 2014 Dart GT due to age and mileage (100K miles). I cannot find this part listed anywhere for my year and this 2.4L motor. Is he off base or am I just looking in the wrong places (Mopar parts shops online)?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Shop says that I need to replace the Spark Plug Tubes in my 2014 Dart GT due to age and mileage (100K miles). I cannot find this part listed anywhere for my year and this 2.4L motor. Is he off base or am I just looking in the wrong places (Mopar parts shops online)?
Just about every car has spark plug tube seals.

They are a little over an inch in size, made of rubber and surround the spark plug tubes. What they do is they stop oil from leaking into these tubes and if they are bad you'll pull either your spark plug wire or coil pack (in our case) where they would be dripping oil if bad.

Most valve cover gasket kits will include these seals so it's fairly cheap to come by, but if you truly think they are making shit up then you can check it yourself.

Pull the coil packs off and if ANY oil is on any one of them then it needs to be replaced. All it requires is a 10mm socket and that you disconnect the wire connected to it. Super simple.

Edit spark plug wire...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It's actually easy enough to replace the valve cover gasket and tube seals yourself.
See this thread:

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife's Dart has the original seals and i have changed the plugs twice; i did the 190K mile service yesterday afternoon, and it does not use enough oil between services to warrant adding any. Both times i changed the plugs i checked the boots real closely to be certain there was no oil, they were all clean too. Ours is a `14 Limited with the 2.4 of course. I change the oil every 10K and use Mobil1 0W-20 of course. I agree with the poster that points out you can easily check this yourself. It might be bogus, and if not you can get the seals with the valve cover gasket. Hope that tidbit helps you a little.
Mopars-Only

1 - 4 of 4 Posts