Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else has this issue. It seems to bog down a lot, seems I have room in gas peddle but it bogs unless I press further for it to kick down a gear and then I have better aceleration. Been this way since day 1.
Change oil on a reg basis. Wondering if changing plugs out would help?

·
Super Moderator
4,770 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else has this issue. It seems to bog down a lot, seems I have room in gas peddle but it bogs unless I press further for it to kick down a gear and then I have better aceleration. Been this way since day 1.
Change oil on a reg basis. Wondering if changing plugs out would help?
2.0 is known for being a dog if it's paired with the auto. I had the manual with the 2.0 and never had any issues. The throttle response was just programmed terribly. I would suggest looking into a "Go Pedal" or something of the sort. Companies like Dart Madness, Modern Performance, Eurocompulsion have stuff like this. It essentially gives you back that room in the gas peddle. This has been verified by people like me who has a scan gauge and can see numbers coming from the OBDII port. Throttle position does not directly reflect input.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
When I was looking to buy a Dart back in 2013/2014 I first checked out a 2.4L, having heard the complaints about Darts being gutless. After my test drive I thought "that wasn't too bad...", at which point I asked to take a 2.0 Dart on a drive. Oh. My. God. At low RPM each time I pushed down on the gas pedal the car had to think about it for a moment, then finally wake up and realize that pushing down on the gas means GO. I realized that the 2.0 was where all the complaints about gutless Darts were coming from. The 2.4 ain't a rocket ship either, but it's leagues better than the 2.Slow.

·
Super Moderator
4,770 Posts
When I was looking to buy a Dart back in 2013/2014 I first checked out a 2.4L, having heard the complaints about Darts being gutless. After my test drive I thought "that wasn't too bad...", at which point I asked to take a 2.0 Dart on a drive. Oh. My. God. At low RPM each time I pushed down on the gas pedal the car had to think about it for a moment, then finally wake up and realize that pushing down on the gas means GO. I realized that the 2.0 was where all the complaints about gutless Darts were coming from. The 2.4 ain't a rocket ship either, but it's leagues better than the 2.Slow.
I had the 2.0 manual and never had an issue. That was because I think the throttle response was just a bit different since I knew I wasn't going to be moving until the clutch was let out. I also added some mods along the way which I believe helped give some better throttle response. I miss my 2.0 and the gas mileage. lol Although when I picked up my GT, I noticed right away stock that the throttle response was much faster. Then I added all the mods on that too and now it's great. For 2.0 autos I think a GoPedal would have made the car perfectly fine. Since the 2.0 was used primarily for the 2013 models before the 2.4 came out, I think that took a big hit on them. Whoever was in charge of putting the 2.4s in all the models was making a big mistake. I think they did that because people complained it was slow, but in reality it was the throttle response lacked. Just remap the throttle...boom fixed. Like i said, I never felt like my 2.0 manual was ever that bad, and the NA trans from Hyundai is actually really smooth and quick. By putting the 2.4s in, the Dart got an overall worse MPG score, and they started cutting weight in other places to try and regain that. No spare tire standard, smaller gas tank, removed some seat options, and probably some other stuff too.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I think by 2016, they must have improved throttle response on the 2.0. My 2.0 Darts have no bogging problem accelerating. There may be PCM updates which only a dealer can do.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Even the 2.4 has a slight lag on acceleration at low speed. I can only guess FCA programmed it in to improve EPA numbers. Nobody in their right mind would purposely make a car doggy at low speed, especially in such a competitive market.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts