Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my oil pressure sensor. After doing so, the car idles very rough. No power loss at speed, only when RPMs drop to idle (bout 750-800?).

I've got OBD2 codes P0017, P0300, and P0113.

I've done a brief check for vacuum leaks and can't find any. I can hear a slight crack or rattle when I cold start, but it goes away after the first start.

I'm thinking either plugs or coils?

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
What else did you disturb trying to locate the oil pressure sensor?

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM), 2.0L / Diagnosis and Testing

P0017-CRANKSHAFT-CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT - BANK 1 SENSOR

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs when the following conditions are met:

•During engine cranking.
•During engine running in closed loop operation.

Set Conditions:

•Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects an error when the Camshaft position is out of phase with the Crankshaft position by more than 10.0 degrees.

Default Actions:

•The MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

INCORRECT ENGINE OIL VISCOSITY OR OIL FILTER
ENGINE OIL AERATED OR CONTAMINATED
INSUFFICIENT OIL PRESSURE DUE TO A MECHANICAL FAILURE IN THE OILING SYSTEM
CAMSHAFT 1/1 PHASER
CAMSHAFT 1/1 OIL CONTROL VALVE
ERRATIC CAM POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR TONE WHEEL/PULSE RING
ERRATIC CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR TONE WHEEL/PULSE RING
TIMING SPROCKET ALIGNMENT
CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR 1
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM), 2.0L / Diagnosis and Testing

P0300-MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE

Theory of Operation

The misfire detection monitor software strategy in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is designed to detect an engine misfire. The PCM uses the Crankshaft (CKP) and Camshaft (CMP) sensors to determine when an engine misfire event is occurring and determine individual misfire events by monitoring the crankshaft rotational speed. A misfire is nothing more than a lack of combustion, which can be caused by poor fuel quality or metering, low compression, lack of spark or unmetered air or coolant entering the engine intake air system. On engines equipped with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), another possible cause is unwanted EGR flow. In the case of multiple cylinders misfiring or the PCM not determining the specific cylinder misfiring, P0300 Multiple Cylinder Misfire will set.

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•When the engine is running.
•After the adaptive numerator has been successfully updated.

Set Conditions:

•If the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the variation in crankshaft speed between each cylinder exceeds a calibrated value, based on engine rpm and load, a fault is set.

Default Actions:

Possible Causes

FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM
IGNITION COIL, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
FUEL INJECTOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
MAP SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
O2 SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

P0113-INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT HIGH

Theory of Operation

The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor is a variable resistor that functions as a normal two wire, 5 volt sensor. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) supplies the IAT Sensor with a 5 volt reference and a filtered ground (return) circuit. For the IAT Sensor diagnostic, the PCM internally monitors the voltage on the signal circuit, which is converted into a temperature reading. If the voltage reads above the high calibrated threshold, or below the low calibrated threshold, a circuit high or low fault is set.

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•With the ignition on.
•Battery voltage greater than 10.38 volts.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor input voltage is above 4.96 volts for 2.24 seconds.

Default Actions:

Possible Causes

IAT SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
IAT SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
IAT SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE (IAT) SENSOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the engine cover and that's it. Used a pivoting ratchet to remove and replace the sensor.

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
When you removed the engine cover, there is a connector that had to be disconnected. That is the IAT and if you fubared it trying to get it off that's the problem.

dart20IATconnector.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did remove that before taking off the cover, and it's reinstalled now. I'll do some tests tomorrow and see if it needs replaced, though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to necro an old post, but I did get this sorted.

It ended up being the VVT solenoid. It seemed like it was damaged from factory. Something happened just right for it to stop working and start spewing oil, which is how I ended up finding it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts