Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2013 Dodge Dart SXT Multiair last February. The car has a salvage title because a tree landed on the right front side causing the insurance to declare it totaled. So my problem is that when I bought it he told me the car has a Tigershark engine in it. I was sure he said 2.4 L. But on the back of the car it says 2.4 L SXT Multiair but the engine cover says 2.0 VVT. I need a part for my car and when I went to order it, they said the SXT doesn’t come with 2.4 L. I don’t know if he put the 2.4 on the trunk or what. Like it was originally a 2.0 but he wanted to sell it quick so he thought it would help him to add the 2.4 on the back. I’m so confused. I’m not sure if he put a new engine in it that’s a 2.0 or if the engine is a 2.4. I hope I’m making sense. The engine cover says 2.0 but the back of the car says 2.4. The car needs an oil pressure sensor but I don’t know what the engine size is. What can I look at in the engine to tell if it’s 2.0 or 2.4? I’m not a girl that knows much about engines or cars at all. I barely know how to explain the situation but any answers to what it is would be great. Sorry if this is confusing.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I bought a 2013 Dodge Dart SXT Multiair last February. The car has a salvage title because a tree landed on the right front side causing the insurance to declare it totaled. So my problem is that when I bought it he told me the car has a Tigershark engine in it. I was sure he said 2.4 L. But on the back of the car it says 2.4 L SXT Multiair but the engine cover says 2.0 VVT. I need a part for my car and when I went to order it, they said the SXT doesn’t come with 2.4 L. I don’t know if he put the 2.4 on the trunk or what. Like it was originally a 2.0 but he wanted to sell it quick so he thought it would help him to add the 2.4 on the back. I’m so confused. I’m not sure if he put a new engine in it that’s a 2.0 or if the engine is a 2.4. I hope I’m making sense. The engine cover says 2.0 but the back of the car says 2.4. The car needs an oil pressure sensor but I don’t know what the engine size is. What can I look at in the engine to tell if it’s 2.0 or 2.4? I’m not a girl that knows much about engines or cars at all. I barely know how to explain the situation but any answers to what it is would be great. Sorry if this is confusing.
Have you tried running the VIN number?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
It's likely the 2.0L engine if the engine cover says 2.0VVT. It's not an easy swap to replace the engine. It's much easier to replace a trunk lid. Later years the SXT could have had a 2.4 on the trunk lid. Does your engine sound noisy at idle or is it quiet. The 2.0 is quiet and the 2.4 almost sounds like a diesel. You could try to get the build sheet for your VIN. Use this link:

Reactions: 57ChryslerDart

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I bought a 2013 Dodge Dart SXT Multiair last February. The car has a salvage title because a tree landed on the right front side causing the insurance to declare it totaled. So my problem is that when I bought it he told me the car has a Tigershark engine in it. I was sure he said 2.4L. But on the back of the car it says 2.4L SXT Multiair but the engine cover says 2.0 VVT. I need a part for my car and when I went to order it, they said the SXT doesn’t come with 2.4L. I don’t know if he put the 2.4 on the trunk or what. Like it was originally a 2.0 but he wanted to sell it quick so he thought it would help him to add the 2.4 on the back. I’m so confused. I’m not sure if he put a new engine in it that’s a 2.0 or if the engine is a 2.4. I hope I’m making sense. The engine cover says 2.0 but the back of the car says 2.4. The car needs an oil pressure sensor but I don’t know what the engine size is. What can I look at in the engine to tell if it’s 2.0 or 2.4? I’m not a girl that knows much about engines or cars at all. I barely know how to explain the situation but any answers to what it is would be great. Sorry if this is confusing.
@Ronnierae709 -

Just an FYI ...

For the 2013 Model Year, the Dodge Dart SXT, SXT-RALLYE, & SXT-Special Edition models were ONLY available with the following powertrain combinations:
  • 2.0L Tigershark™ engine / Fiat Powertrain Technologies (FPT) C635 6-speed Manual transmission
  • 2.0L Tigershark™ engine / Hyundai 6F24 6-sp Powertech Automatic transmission (with AutoStick® feature)
  • 1.4L MultiAir® Turbo engine / FPT C635 6-sp Manual transmission
  • 1.4L MultiAir® Turbo engine / FPT C635 6-sp Dual Dry Clutch Transmission (DDCT) Automatic transmission (with AutoStick® feature)
... and the only 2013 model year Dodge Dart available with the 2.4L Tigershark™ MultiAir II® engine [with either the FPT C635 6-sp Manual transmission or the Hyundai 6F24 6-sp Powertech Automatic transmission (with AutoStick® feature)] was the GT model (which was released late in the 2013 model year).

Starting with the 2014 Model Year, the Dodge Dart SXT, SXT-RALLYE, & SXT-RALLYE-Blacktop models were ONLY available with the following powertrain combinations:
  • 2.4L Tigershark™ MultiAir II® engine / 6sp Manual transmission
  • 2.4L Tigershark™ MultiAir II® engine / 6sp Powertech Automatic transmission (with AutoStick® feature)
... and did indeed come with a "SXT 2.4L MULTIAIR" badge on the trunk lid:

So, it's possible that your (salvage title) Dodge Dart is actually a 2014 Model Year SXT that was originally purchased in Calendar Year 2013 ... and that its original 2.4L Tigershark™ MultiAir II® engine was somehow damaged by the fallen tree and was swapped with a 2.0L Tigershark™ engine:

-> -> ->

... but I tend to agree with @alpinegreenneon ... it's more likely that the fallen tree damaged the trunk lid and it was replaced with a trunk lid from a 2014-2016 Model Year Dodge Dart SXT.

I would assume the Parts "Counterperson" ran the Vehicle Identification Number of your Dart and determined that it was indeed a
2013 Model Year ... i.e., he or she was correct in telling you that a 2013 SXT didn't come with the 2.4L Tigershark™ MultiAir II® engine.

NOTE: It's also quite possible your
2013 Dodge Dart is not even an "SXT" model ... as the 2013 "SE" & "LIMITED" models also came with the 2.0L Tigershark™ engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's likely the 2.0L engine if the engine cover says 2.0VVT. It's not an easy swap to replace the engine. It's much easier to replace a trunk lid. Later years the SXT could have had a 2.4 on the trunk lid. Does your engine sound noisy at idle or is it quiet. The 2.0 is quiet and the 2.4 almost sounds like a diesel. You could try to get the build sheet for your VIN. Use this link:
Yes it is quiet. I never thought that they could have changed the trunk lid. Now I’m wondering about that. They said the tree hit the front passenger side but maybe they didn’t want to tell me they had to replace the trunk lid too.

Thank you for the link. I’ll go to that now.
@Ronnierae709 -

Just an FYI ...

For the 2013 model year, the Dodge Dart SXT, SXT-RALLYE, & SXT-Special Edition models were ONLY available with the following powertrain combinations:
  • 2.0L Tigershark™ engine / Fiat Powertrain Technologies (FPT) C635 6-speed Manual transmission
  • 2.0L Tigershark™ engine / Hyundai 6F24 6-sp Powertech Automatic transmission (with AutoStick® feature)
  • 1.4L MultiAir® Turbo engine / FPT C635 6-sp Dual Dry Clutch Transmission (DDCT) Automatic transmission (with AutoStick® feature)
... and the only 2013 model year Dodge Dart available with the 2.4L Tigershark™ MultiAir II® engine [with either the FPT C635 6-sp Manual transmission or the Hyundai 6F24 6-sp Powertech Automatic transmission (with AutoStick® feature)] was the GT model (which was released late in the 2013 model year).

Starting with the 2014 model year, the Dodge Dart SXT, SXT-RALLYE, & SXT-RALLYE-Blacktop models were ONLY available with the following powertrain combinations:
  • 2.4L Tigershark™ MultiAir II® engine / 6sp Powertech Automatic transmission (with AutoStick® feature)
... and did indeed come with a "2.4L SXT Multiair" badge on the trunk lid:

So with that all said, it's possible that your (salvage title) Dodge Dart is actually a 2014 Model Year SXT that was originally purchased in Calendar Year 2013 ... and that its original 2.4L Tigershark™ MultiAir II® engine was somehow damaged by the fallen tree and was swapped with a 2.0L Tigershark™ engine:

... but I tend to agree with @alpinegreenneon ... it's more likely that the fallen tree damaged the trunk lid and it was replaced with a trunk lid from a 2014-2016 Dodge Dart SXT.

I assume the Parts "Counterperson" ran the Vehicle Identification Number of your Dart and determined that it was indeed a
2013 model year ... i.e., he or she was correct in telling you that a 2013 SXT didn't come with the 2.4L Tigershark™ MultiAir II® engine.

2013 Dodge Dart is not even an "SXT" model ... as the 2013 "SE" & "LIMITED" models also came with the 2.0L Tigershark™ engine.
@Ronnierae709 -

Just an FYI ...

For the 2013 model year, the Dodge Dart SXT, SXT-RALLYE, & SXT-Special Edition models were ONLY available with the following powertrain combinations:

Starting with the 2014 model year, the Dodge Dart SXT, SXT-RALLYE, & SXT-RALLYE-Blacktop models were ONLY available with the following powertrain combinations:
... and did indeed come with a "2.4L SXT Multiair" badge on the trunk lid:

So with that all said, it's possible that your (salvage title) Dodge Dart is actually a 2014 Model Year SXT that was originally purchased in Calendar Year 2013 ... and that its original 2.4L Tigershark™ MultiAir II® engine was somehow damaged by the fallen tree and was swapped with a 2.0L Tigershark™ engine:

... but I tend to agree with @alpinegreenneon ... it's more likely that the fallen tree damaged the trunk lid and it was replaced with a trunk lid from a 2014-2016 Dodge Dart SXT.

I would assume the Parts "Counterperson" ran the Vehicle Identification Number of your Dart and determined that it was indeed a
2013 model year ... i.e., he or she was correct in telling you that a 2013 SXT didn't come with the 2.4L Tigershark™ MultiAir II® engine.

Thank you. That’s very helpful. I got my book out of the glovebox and surprisingly the sell sticker was folded inside the back of the book. So it’s a 2.0L L4 DOHC Turbo SXT Dart with Rallye appearance group Special Edition group whatever all that means. Rallye special edition Tigershark no Multiair like it says on the trunk. I don’t even know what all that means.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Thank you. That’s very helpful. I got my book out of the glovebox and surprisingly the sell sticker was folded inside the back of the book. So it’s a 2.0L L4 DOHC Turbo SXT Dart with Rallye appearance group Special Edition group whatever all that means. Rallye special edition Tigershark no Multiair like it says on the trunk. I don’t even know what all that means.
@Ronnierae709 -

Just another FYI ...

Your 2013 Dodge Dart SXT-RALLYE's Tigershark™ engine is a 2.0L {2.0 Liter} DOHC {Dual OverHead Camshaft} I4 {Inline 4-cylinder} gasoline engine which features dual VVT {Variable Valve Timing} ... but does NOT have a Turbo {Turbocharger}.

Now you know more about your Dart than most Dodge salespeople :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Ronnierae709 -

Just another FYI ...

Your 2013 Dodge Dart SXT-RALLYE's Tigershark™ engine is a 2.0L {2.0 Liter} DOHC {Dual OverHead Camshaft} I4 {Inline 4-cylinder} gasoline engine which features dual VVT {Variable Valve Timing} ... but does NOT have a Turbo {Turbocharger}.

😂 yes I do! Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Ronnierae709 -

Just another FYI ...

I wondered about the turbo part. It’s online as that when I look up the vin but I can’t find it anywhere else. Just the 2.0 SXT DOHC Rallye Special Edition. That’s on the dealer sticker that was on the vehicle when it was sold. I really appreciate all that information. I’d love to know all there is to know about my car. I’m glad you know so much about it. If I have anymore questions in the future, I’ll come back here to find you. 😆

1 - 9 of 9 Posts