Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here's some phenomenal news for those who are concerned about vehicle safety, the 2013 Dodge Dart has been named a 2012 Top Safety Pick by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. With its 10 standard-equipment air bags and one of the auto industry’s highest content-ratios of high-strength steel, the Dodge Dart scored the maximum possible rating in every IIHS Top Safety Pick test. The Dart leads the segment with more than 60 available safety and security features, and its 68% high-strength-steel ratio is among the highest in the industry.

Reid Bigland, Dodge-brand President and CEO and Head of U.S. Sales, says "We had high expectations for the Dart and our engineers delivered. Since its launch, the 2013 Dodge Dart has consistently outperformed in the area of fuel efficiency, technology, value for the money and now safety. It is truly a groundbreaking new car.” Top Safety Pick is the highest safety honor bestowed by the IIHS. “Winners afford buyers the best overall protection in four of the most common kinds of crashes, and help them avoid crashes altogether with electronic stability control,” says IIHS President Adrian Lund. Every 2013 Dodge Dart comes equipped with:

• Dual-stage, adaptive, venting air bags for the driver and front-seat passenger,
  • Front-seat-mounted pelvic and thorax air bags for driver and passenger,
  • Two rear-seat-mounted pelvic air bags,
  • Knee air bags for driver and front-seat passenger,
  • Two curtain air bags designed to protect front and rear passengers on both sides of the car

Equally important are Dart technologies that deliver accident-avoidance capability, such as:

• Electronic stability control (ESC)
  • Electronic roll mitigation
  • Traction control
  • Standard four-wheel, four-channel anti-lock disc brakes
  • Electronic brake-force distribution
  • Blind-spot monitoring
  • Rear cross-path detection

As a side bar, the Dodge Dart is the 12th Chrysler Group vehicle to earn 2012 Top Safety Pick designation. Folks, the 2013 Dodge Dart has racked up some very prestigious accomplishments, and this latest one is in our opinion the single most important achievement to have been bestowed upon it. It seems like every other day the Dart is being acknowledged by one group or another for a variety of reasons, and it really doesn't get any better than that. Congratulations Dodge Engineers on a job well done.

·
Mopar 13 Moderator
5,443 Posts
So expect even lower insurance rates now!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am so excited on many levels! Wallet than my life... this economy priorities. (mostly joking)

·
Mopar 13 Moderator
5,443 Posts
Here is the link to the ratings- IIHS-HLDI: Dodge Dart . It scored good (the best) in every category except that in the side hit, torso only scored an average. See the terrible picks of the poor cars too.

heres an awesome video of the car hitting straight on at 40mph,

·
Mopar 13 Moderator
5,443 Posts
I kinda posted this in the IIHS thread already. This 2 nd video though and with links to ratings.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm not understanding why the side airbags deployed. I was under the impression that they are directionally activated.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm not understanding why the side airbags deployed. I was under the impression that they are directionally activated.
Maybe they also activate in front collisions to cut down on the flying glass if the side windows break. They didn't in this case, but it would make sense to me.

·
Registered
715 Posts
In a frontal collision your body tends to hit the front airbag and then bounce to the side. You can see the paint smears on the curtain airbags in the frontal collision results.

They're definitely directionally activated though, in the side impact test the front airbags don't go off. Amazing technology to be that fast deploying airbags.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would be interested to see the results of one of their "small overlap" tests on the Dart.

Seems like it would do well, but some of those small overlap videos look scary. (Remind me never to drive a Lexus IS or Volkswagen CC!)

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is definitely some solid videos that can actually boost the reputation of the new Dart, the fact that when the overlap test was performed, the driver front cabin area was to the most part, pretty intact, goes to show that Dodge did officially improve their A Game in today's market, in the Safety part :big smile:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would be interested to see the results of one of their "small overlap" tests on the Dart.

Seems like it would do well, but some of those small overlap videos look scary. (Remind me never to drive a Lexus IS or Volkswagen CC!)
It actually tore the driver's door clean off one of the Mercedes sedans. It was in an article about this test on midsize luxury cars. I am shocked by how far forward the seat belts let the dummy travel. The LIZ's dummy should have been stopped by the shoulder strap before hitting the A pillar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts