Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Dart has a P0128 code that goes off intermittently. If we reset it may not go off again for a week or 2. I know it is typically a thermostat or sensor. It appears to have good heat and the temp gauge comes up just shy of the half way mark. Some one stated we should try the sensor in that case. Can this be changed with out draining the entire system? Will changing it introduce too much air into the system?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Replacing the coolant temp sensor will require draining the coolant. I can't imagine trying to replace it with a full system. The location is in the middle of the engine so there is a lot of coolant higher than the sensor. It will gush out. Refilling the coolant should be done with a UView Airlift or similar tool. It's just too easy to trap air any other way. If it turns out that it was the thermostat after all, you will need to do it all over again. The clamps on the thermostat housing are special and require a CLIC clamp tool to remove and replace. Invest in the tools and an air compressor if you don't have one. It will pay for itself with just this one repair. I have read a dealer charged someone $800 to replace the thermostat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts