Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

*picture does not represent the 2013 Dodge Dart Aero*

We got our hands on the full spec sheet of the Dodge Dart Aero for those who may be interested in the gas sipping vehicle. The Aero will come with everything that is included in the Dodge Dart SE trim, but will offer selected standard equipment over the SE. Some of the specs have already been mentioned, but here is a comprehensive list of standard equipment and options.

Powertrain:

• 1.4 Multi Air Turbo
  • 6 speed manual or 6 speed automatic ( DDCT )

Select Standard Equipment Over the SE:

• 16" Aero wheel covers
  • Under-Body Aero Kit
  • Aluminum Suspension Components
  • Active Grille Shutters
  • Ultra Low Rolling Resistance Tires
  • Tire-Inflator Kit
  • Body Color Mirrors and Handles
  • Air Conditioning w/ Micron Filter
  • Power Locks
  • Keyless Entry
  • EVIC Screen
  • Trip Computer
  • Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel w/ Audio Controls
  • Speed Control
  • Automatic Headlamps

Optional Equipment:

• Uconnect 8.4 and 8.4N
  • TFT Display
  • Voice Command
  • 17" aluminum wheels

Colors:

all 12 colors will be available

Interiors:

Black w/ Black Denim Cloth

For those who may be wondering about pricing and availability, that will have to wait for another day, there was no mention of either. By a show of hands who is thinking of picking one of these up?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Yeah that's kind of lame that a LOWER trim than the Rallye can get it but not the Rallye. I kind of think you might be able to plug and play the TFT cluster if all the processing for the display is attached to it. Oh well. I kind of like the analog instruments anyways.

·
Registered
753 Posts
What parts are they replacing the steel with aluminium? I'm clearly not picking up this model as I have mine, I am just curious. When I saw it was expected to get pretty much the same as the 1.4L I didn't think the package was worth it. It is interesting that the TFT is available. Also noted it comes with a tire inflation kit. Something I've carried for years anyway.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just don't see the point in getting the Aero. Why would you spend evtra money to get one mile per gallon. I'd be willing to bet you'd be hard pressed to break even on the evtra cost of the car. Get the trim level you wand and enjoy the car, the enviornment will be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
Yeah that's kind of lame that a LOWER trim than the Rallye can get it but not the Rallye. I kind of think you might be able to plug and play the TFT cluster if all the processing for the display is attached to it. Oh well. I kind of like the analog instruments anyways.
The issue is that you need different steering wheel buttons too for the TFT...

So the "Tire-Inflator Kit" mean NO spare tire ?? just a air pump and a can of tire slime ??
Correct.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The issue is that you need different steering wheel buttons too for the TFT...
I think the Rallye has those back of the steering wheel controls with premium audio. I need to look when I'm not on my phone to be sure.
It does, but it does not have all the controls on the front part of the steering wheel.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Motor vehicle

We changed out the steering wheel in my Liberty Sport when we added cruise control to it. It wasn't hard and I don't think it was that expensive but it also didn't have radio and uconnect controls. The computer had to be told by the dealer the vehicle had cruise otherwise it worked intermittently.

·
Registered
104 Posts
In my honest opinion, I am a little disappointed in the specifications listed. It just doesn't have anything worth buying over any other trim level with a 1.4T/6M. If I suspect that the Aero trim will come in at a price point about the same as the Rallye, which for the extra MPG...is not worth the limited different options you get.

Since math is fun, let's do a little math.

Rallye: $22,670 (and the price I suspect the Aero will come in at) - with 1.4T/6M, 8.4N
SXT: $21,670 - 1.4T/6M, 8.4N

So there is a $1,000 MSRP difference between the SXT and the Rallye (assume same Aero STARTING price).

The 1.4T/6M on a non-aero is rated at 39mpg. The Aero trim with 1.4T/6M is to be rated at 41mpg. Obviously, that is 2mpg difference. If you assume you run a tank almost dry, using exactly 15 gallons on each trip; that means you will get an extra 30miles per trip. That means you are saving, .76 gallons of fuel on each full tank.

Let's continue...

If you assume that both cars will only use premium, at $3.899/g (what I filled up my SRT6 with a couple days ago in TX). That means that you will save approximately $2.96 per full tank of gas.

In order to make it worth buying the Aero, using the assumptions above that means you would have to spend $1001, since there is $1000 assumed difference in MSRP. To get to $1001, that is 338 full tanks of gas....or 207,870 miles in your Dart Aero, just to give the Aero trim marginally better value than the SXT with similar options.

So the question is, do you realistically expect to put over 207,000 miles on your Dart? If the answer is yes, then sure, maybe the Aero might be a good choice...if it is any less, then to me the Aero isn't the best option for trim level on your new dart.

Just my $0.02, using several assumptions...any questions?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I believe that is usually how it works out. I've done the same math comparing hybirds, the Chevy Volt, etc. and the gas savings usually don't cover the additional costs of the car until you get past 4+ years. I think they make sense if you want to reduce carbon footprint, reliance on foreign oil, etc. but from a purely wallet impact you usually hope to break even at best.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
It does, but it does not have all the controls on the front part of the steering wheel.
View attachment 1577
View attachment 1578

We changed out the steering wheel in my Liberty Sport when we added cruise control to it. It wasn't hard and I don't think it was that expensive but it also didn't have radio and uconnect controls. The computer had to be told by the dealer the vehicle had cruise otherwise it worked intermittently.
Exactly.

You only need two more buttons, but I doubt it would be as easy as plugging in the new steering wheel. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

In my honest opinion, I am a little disappointed in the specifications listed. It just doesn't have anything worth buying over any other trim level with a 1.4T/6M. If I suspect that the Aero trim will come in at a price point about the same as the Rallye, which for the extra MPG...is not worth the limited different options you get.

Since math is fun, let's do a little math.

Rallye: $22,670 (and the price I suspect the Aero will come in at) - with 1.4T/6M, 8.4N
SXT: $21,670 - 1.4T/6M, 8.4N

So there is a $1,000 MSRP difference between the SXT and the Rallye (assume same Aero STARTING price).

The 1.4T/6M on a non-aero is rated at 39mpg. The Aero trim with 1.4T/6M is to be rated at 41mpg. Obviously, that is 2mpg difference. If you assume you run a tank almost dry, using exactly 15 gallons on each trip; that means you will get an extra 30miles per trip. That means you are saving, .76 gallons of fuel on each full tank.

Let's continue...

If you assume that both cars will only use premium, at $3.899/g (what I filled up my SRT6 with a couple days ago in TX). That means that you will save approximately $2.96 per full tank of gas.

In order to make it worth buying the Aero, using the assumptions above that means you would have to spend $1001, since there is $1000 assumed difference in MSRP. To get to $1001, that is 338 full tanks of gas....or 207,870 miles in your Dart Aero, just to give the Aero trim marginally better value than the SXT with similar options.

So the question is, do you realistically expect to put over 207,000 miles on your Dart? If the answer is yes, then sure, maybe the Aero might be a good choice...if it is any less, then to me the Aero isn't the best option for trim level on your new dart.

Just my $0.02, using several assumptions...any questions?
Chrysler just has to offer a car like this so they can brag about it. Its the same with all hybrids, by the time you do the math, they don't make much sense.

I believe that is usually how it works out. I've done the same math comparing hybirds, the Chevy Volt, etc. and the gas savings usually don't cover the additional costs of the car until you get past 4+ years. I think they make sense if you want to reduce carbon footprint, reliance on foreign oil, etc. but from a purely wallet impact you usually hope to break even at best.
But you have to recognize that the battery packs in them are not good for the environment at all.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I heard the Aero isn't going to have a 15 gallon tank, it is coming with a smaller tank to save weight.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I heard the Aero isn't going to have a 15 gallon tank, it is coming with a smaller tank to save weight.
I think you're right, I heard the same thing...either way, the math still works out about the same...it is still based on gallons of gas, not necessary tank fill ups...the numbers just get skewed higher a little bit in terms of fill-ups.

338 fill-ups @ 15gallons = 422.5 fill-ups @ 12gallons

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree. That is always how it works out. Most of the manufacturers are just putting them out there to help with CAFE standards. The non-Aero dart already helps Chrysler with that, the Aero will just help it that much more, with so little changes to the R&D.

...especially since I believe CAFE standards are based on the production cars in the line-up, not based on the quantity sold of each production car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Actually, the only reason they are putting it out is because in agreement with their bailout, they agreed to make a car that could get 40mpg. And I'm sure so they could run commercials that say it can get up to 41mpg to surpass the elantra and what not.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Actually, the only reason they are putting it out is because in agreement with their bailout, they agreed to make a car that could get 40mpg. And I'm sure so they could run commercials that say it can get up to 41mpg to surpass the elantra and what not.
And that's fine if there is benefit for Chrysler and I'm sure there will be people that buy it but I agree for most of us here it doesn't make a lot of sense. For me you have to sacrifice too much for just a couple of MPG.

·
Mopar 13 Moderator
5,445 Posts
I'm just waiting till 2025 when all cars have to get some 55 mpg! I would love that! Thanks Obama!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
FIAT gets 5% more of Chrysler if they top the 40 mpg mark within a certain time frame.

I'm just waiting till 2025 when all cars have to get some 55 mpg! I would love that! Thanks Obama!
They practically already have those. They're diesel cars, available long before that clown got into office.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.