Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read the forum post about using the Airlift system when refilling the coolant system on a thermostat change. So we were going to have the have a dealer do the job since we do not have this equipment. A friend who worked at the dealership told my son (his car) that their mechanics don't use that system they just burp it the old way. This made me skeptical so I contacted a private garage about the job. He was a little cheaper but when I inquired about the refill he also stated they just burp the system. My son also had a 3rd person tell him that is what they do. So anyone have any experience with this and the Dodge Dart?? Not sure how many garages I should contact and even if they say they will are they really doing this the way it is stated to be done?

·
Super Moderator
3,657 Posts
The 2013 FSM and possibly others described two methods to refill the cooling system. My 2016 FSM only has the UView Airlift procedure. Even that 2013 version says the UView method is preferred.
This is the link to the thread that described both procedures:
I have a UView Airlift tool that I got for $40 on an eBay auction. I have only used it on my Neons and not on my Darts. It was so easy and fast that I cannot imagine ever using the burp method again. Why would I want to keep topping up days later as air purges itself when I can get it right the first time and not be concerned that I have trapped air which can cause an overheating episode.The only reason I could imagine someone wanting to do it the old fashioned way is because that's the way they always did it before. Pretty sure the factory used the UView.

Reactions: stugny

·
Registered
36 Posts
We replaced the upper hose on my son's 2013 2.0 a couple weeks ago that was leaking. I just ran it with the cap off with just enough antifreeze in the overflow to see the level. Watched it rise and fall as the t stat opened and closed, topped it off, and called it good to go.

·
Super Moderator
3,657 Posts
The most critical part of the cooling system is the head. As you drain a cooling system, it's the first part of the engine that drains. It's also the last part to fill. It all depends on how much you drain. Draining just enough to replace an upper hose might not drain enough to trap a significant amount of air. Draining enough to replace a thermostat would be risky in my opinion.
Over the 50+ years that I have been the exclusive mechanic for my vehicles, I have invested in lots of special tools. In almost all cases, it still cost me less to buy the tools than to pay someone to do the repair. Almost every vehicle manufacturer is now recommending using a vacuum filling of their cooling systems especially those with pressurized reservoirs. Look at the you tube videos about UView Airlift type tools if you are not convinced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have looked at them and I tend to agree with you. Small investment in comparison and doing it ourselves at least we know it is being done properly. I guess I was second guessing myself listening to the garage mechanics.

·
Super Moderator
3,657 Posts
One more thing, the coolant is OAT and it is a 150,000 mile or 10 year coolant. Mixing with something else especially something that is not OAT can change the properties of the coolant. Here is a link:

If you want to not risk using the wrong coolant, get the Mopar OAT.

Reactions: stugny

·
Registered
195 Posts
For anyone who needs to know- If the level is the same hot as cold it needs to burp.

I am understanding of the at home DIYer doing what they can get away with. It is a shame there is so many "professionals" that refuse to accept new technology. The vaccum fill is a lot faster and finds leaks during the process than the fill and run method. It is what is done at the factories for brakes and cooling systems for a reason. The $120 I paid for mine new would pay for itself in a day or two at a shop with decent volume.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
If you own multiple vehicles then the Airlift tool makes a lot more sense. I need to replace the coolant in my Jeep soon and the Dart won't be too far behind in another year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts