Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this car from somebody a couple weeks ago, he said he never noticed, but idk how, but I have a oil leak, looks like the vacuum pump. Looks like the gasket, was replaced, but I do not see a o-ring. Dodge told me it only takes the gasket. But I would think it took a o-ring also. Where does the o-ring go?

·
Registered
2013 Dart 1.4
4 Posts
The 1.4 uses a gasket and the 2.0/2.4 uses an o ring. When I had this issue I replaced the gasket but it didn't stop the leaking so I replaced the entire pump along with another new gasket and the oil leak stopped.

Also the black box on top of the engine is the air oil separator. That uses an oring that tends to fail and cause oil leaks. The oil will run down on the cylinder head and spark plug hole and down near or on the vacuum pump. Worth checking that and replacing and having a spare o ring on hand. Part # 4893446AB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The o ring is good on the separator and the gasket looks brand new on the pump. I'm thinking whoever replaced it before the guy I got it from already replaced it. But I realized someone forgot to hook up a small hose that goes to the coolant to some connector on the passenger side. But now I don't see no leak near the pump as bad. Could it be the big coolant hose behind the vacuum pump that could have a slight leak in it do to the clamp? Just asking not 100% sure.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The o ring is good on the separator and the gasket looks brand new on the pump. I'm thinking whoever replaced it before the guy I got it from already replaced it. But I realized someone forgot to hook up a small hose that goes to the coolant to some connector on the passenger side. But now I don't see no leak near the pump as bad. Could it be the big coolant hose behind the vacuum pump that could have a slight leak in it do to the clamp? Just asking not 100% sure.
When I did my timing belt. I tried to reuse my vacuum pump gasket because it looked fine. It ended up leaking still. But it would drop down onto the exhaust and cause smoke when I'd come to stops. I think the only o-ring would possibly be on the sensor at the top, but you would see oil all over it if it was leaking from there.

·
Administrator
5,730 Posts
A coolant leak will leave a dry residue as it evaporates from engine heat and not look oily.
There have been a few members with vacuum pump oil leaks that did not easily resolve. If you are sure it's oil, replace the gasket and use a torque wrench on the bolts torque to15 ft lbs. If you still get a persistant leak, you could use a thin bead of rtv. Rtv must be applied to clean surfaces and torqued while wet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I checked today, oil is coming from the pump, but how would I know if I just need to apply that rtv gasket or if the pump itself is bad?

·
Administrator
5,730 Posts
You should be able to see a crack if there is one.

·
Administrator
5,730 Posts
Both sides since you don't really know which side is leaking. Do a thin bead, you don't need a lot.

·
Administrator
5,730 Posts
Do not plug that hole. That is to supply oil to the vacuum pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts