Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Dart that I plan to do a 5.7 Hemi swap with. I have a few questions. The donor car is a 07 Dodge Magnum. First question is, with the understanding that they are both unibody cars, could I take the whole front subframe from the Magnum, and narrow it down enough to exchange with the stock Dart subframe, essentially transferring the engine mounts and everything from the Magnum, to the Dart, then just integrating the original suspension set up into it? Second question, once the engine is installed, would it be best to tuck the Dart's stock ecu back somewhere so all of the factory options still function (back up camera, lights, radio, tpms system, and so forth), and put in a stand alone fuel management and ignition system in to control the engine? Or is there an easier option? Third question is, how would I wire in the factory gauge cluster to the engine, (RPM, speedometer, Temperature, ect.)? Any info on what problems I might run into on the build would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
"Or is there an easier option? "

Yes, buy a working vehicle that already has a Hemi and drive it. If you are asking these questions about engine swaps, you have no idea what you are getting yourself into. It would require at least $20k in fabrication costs.

We can't even swap in another FWD engine into the Dart, such as the SRT4 engine. It's not easy and it is NOT cheap. That's why it hasn't been done and never will.

Just being honest with ya.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, well now that we got the pointless comment out of the way.. Can anyone give me any actual answers to my questions. Thanks

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Killraven was just being honest with you. If you're going to try shoving a 5.7 Hemi into a Dart you're in completely uncharted territory, as nobody I heard of has ever successfully managed an engine swap of any kind into a late-model PF Dart, let alone a huge V-8 that's not even designed to fit into a small transverse-engine FWD vehicle. Having said that, everybody admires a pioneer, and if you attempt it and actually manage to pull it off we'd love to see a build thread on it.

·
Super Moderator
4,770 Posts
Agree with the above. But I think I will fix your comment. Now that the only reasonable comment is out of the way.

Yeah sure, it could probably happen. But at the end of the day, you're going to have so much fabrication into the dart that it's going to cost more than the car or any parts in it + the magnum and any parts in it. Cool factor? 10/10. Possibility? That's up to you.

There is ONE person who attempted this...and I think it was scrapped. The concept, a twin turbo charged V8 Hemi into the dart, two door conversion. The project actually made some progress and was going to be a special SEMA build. He had the engine, and did the two door conversion successfully. Never installed the engine though and the body and frame were essentially rebuilt and custom made. This guy owned a shop in Canada and specialized in body frames, custom builds and such. Honestly I think he only didn't finish it due to not enough time.

If you think you can do it, then we are not trying to be dicks about it. We are telling you the honest truth. You're not going to find answers here for any of the above questions. Not until it's more specific. You need to dive into this and tell us what works and doesn't. Because no one knows. Again, uncharted territory as Delta said. If you have a full shop that you can do fabrication, body work, etc then there might be a chance to get the engine to fit. The other thing is electronics. The car's ECU will never run that engine. You'd be looking at all manual switches and wiring to the fuel system, ignition, and all the normal car features too unless you splice out what you can't use and leave what you can. That is going to be a nightmare. Example, Road Kill and Gas Monkey garage took old muscles and put the hellcat engine in it (before the HellCrate came out). The engines would not work, although everything was wired up, but the engine would not start due to a security lock out that only let it work with the stock dash and ignition. The Magnum 5.7 is older, but the Dart is newer. You would probably run into a similar issue like that. If this could work, you're more than likely looking at all aftermarket gauges to monitor, as the ECU simply won't know what the hell everything is on this engine. And even if a tune could map to it to read, there is also that issue...There is no one that really tunes this car anymore. Since the dart wasn't as hard hitting and profit driving as say the Hemi guys, not a lot of tuners tried to tackle the complex ECU encryption and any one that did isn't really into the tuning world for us anymore.

Some pictures and game plan of the project would be sweet, and if there is any Dart specific questions you have that we can help with (wiring, parts, specs, etc) then we are more than happy to help. Don't come here expecting us to give to a step by step on this build and expect to have it together in a few weeks. So if you got the money to burn, time to burn and a very high level of mechanical skill, then we wish you luck good sir.

·
Registered
729 Posts
This has never been done and it would be very hard to do since you'll also need to cut the firewall out. When the srt was still being tested before being scrapped they did have one car that never left the grounds that allegedly had a 5.7. You'd have better luck getting a 200s and swapping all those components and awd system over since it's at least the same platform.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To all you guys that are saying that it's going to be hard, and it's never been done before, that is the exact reason I chose this project. I'm not looking for a step by step guide. I was just putting my ideas here so that maybe someone with more programming and tuning experience could possibly help me out by answering some questions. I have no issue with fab work, I just don't know much about the tuning aspect once the engine and drivetrain is in. The subframe question I just figured I'd throw in just because I was already posting a question, so might as well see if someone had done something similar with two different unibody cars before. I guess I'll come back to this forum once I get to the tuning and programming part of the build.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You're gonna need a ton of reinforcement. For the chassis the most powerful engine is either teh 2.0t (cherokee) or the v6. You might get lucky by being bale to reuse interiors parts but you're gonna be better of hacking up the interior and custom building that then too since it's not gonna be in it's original position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't make us wait that long, come back once you got the engine and trans installed.
Haha ok, I'll let you guys know when then engine is installed. Still currently paying payments on the donor vehicle so have to finishing paying for it first 🤣

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
It's Déjà vu ...

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
... There is ONE person who attempted this...and I think it was scrapped. The concept, a twin turbo charged V8 Hemi into the dart, two door conversion. The project actually made some progress and was going to be a special SEMA build. He had the engine, and did the two door conversion successfully. Never installed the engine though and the body and frame were essentially rebuilt and custom made. This guy owned a shop in Canada and specialized in body frames, custom builds and such. Honestly I think he only didn't finish it due to not enough time ...
@Ground'd (Ash Bczican Pratt):

Ash Pratt - Dart Coupe (1).jpg Ash Pratt - Dart Coupe (2).jpg Ash Pratt - Dart Coupe (3).jpg Ash Pratt - Dart Coupe (4).jpg Ash Pratt - Dart Coupe (5).jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is very interesting. Going to be quite the undertaking. I wish you all of the luck. I would also look into maybe some sort of gasser style front end, to lift the car a bit to make clearance for the motor and steering and everything. That is if you can't get the clearance otherwise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts