Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on what's wrong anyone?Ive got a 2013 Dart Rallye with a 2.0 engine and Auto Tranny. Owned it two years, has 111k as of today and recently I've decided to give it some pep as its its got the slowest pick up ever. Below is a time table of my additions. Recently when I accelerate no mater the speed I'm currently at 30, 40, 65, 75 if I go to press the accelerator too fast the car chokes as if its not getting air and the ETC (lightning symbol) flashes until I depress the pedal slightly then it picks up. Also If I accelerate gradually no problems. Any ideas what's going on.

02/20 - Ingen CAI - no issues​
06/21 - Sprint pedal booster - no issues and pickup was way better made car fun to drive.​
07/30/21 - MPX Header - Car picked up even better not 100% sure but tranny felt like it responded better as well.​
08/05/21 - o2 sensor - P0420 gave me a check engine light figured I damaged sensor when removing from OEM header and placing on new MPX one. code cleared after a day of driving ran great.​
08/06/21 - NGK Iridium plugs - didn't feel any difference - Coil packs replaced @100k - No Issues​
08/09/21 - 2x Flowmaster Resonators - car sounded like a damn scooter on drugs when going from 0-40 after that it sounded good and didn't drone Modern performance recommended I add the resonator to reduce the volume.​
08/15/21 - Issue started happening and also code P0420 came back no other codes.​
08/17/21 replaced same O2 sensor again as the code was exactly the same and same location. waiting to see if code clears but the choking is still happening.​

·
Premium Member
2013 Dart Limited 1.4T 6-Speed
274 Posts
If your catalytic converter is plugged (as P0420 would suggest), it will choke the engine when you put it under a load. I would check your cat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@XR4Tim Thanks for the input, do you think this is true even if its a new catalytic converter? As mentioned above I Installed the MPX header and it came with a cat as pictured below. Installed 7/30/21

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Check the wiring. If you have a bluetooth scanner and an app like Torque, you can see the sensor output.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM), 2.0L / Diagnosis and Testing

P0420-CATALYST EFFICIENCY (BANK 1)

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs when the following conditions are met:

•No other O2 Sensor circuit faults active.
•There are several different catalyst efficiency monitoring windows. Each specific window has several different enable conditions. The best opportunity for the catalyst efficiency monitor to run is:
◦Engine temperature above 70°C (158°F).
◦Engine speed between approximately 1000 rpm and 3000 rpm.
◦Vehicle speed between 20 mph and 85 mph, under moderate engine load.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects a failed catalyst if the final test ratio is greater than 0.65.

Default Actions:

•The MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

O2 SENSOR 1/1 RETURN CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
O2 SENSOR 1/2 RETURN CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
O2 SENSOR 1/1 RETURN CIRCUIT OPEN
O2 SENSOR 1/2 RETURN CIRCUIT OPEN
EXHAUST LEAK
ENGINE MECHANICAL CONDITION
AGING O2 SENSOR
CATALYTIC CONVERTER

·
Premium Member
2013 Dart Limited 1.4T 6-Speed
274 Posts
@XR4Tim Thanks for the input, do you think this is true even if its a new catalytic converter? As mentioned above I Installed the MPX header and it came with a cat as pictured below. Installed 7/30/21
View attachment 128068
It shouldn't be, but it is still possible, especially if the cat was damaged at all during the manufacturing or shipping process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Diagnostics on a different scanner came back as P0420 but this time the Upstream O2 sensor. swapped it out and code has not returned in 4 days of driving (175 miles).

Downside the car still chokes as mentioned above? Any more ideas?

I removed the Pedal Booster and performed a throttle relearn yesterday. wanted to check if it was creating an issue with the pedal accelerator drove around about 40 miles and still choking itself? and still no codes.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
You need to see what the O2 sensor is doing with a bluetooth scanner and an app like Torque. It will be a running graph. Are you using aftermarket O2 sensors? Mopars do not like Bosch sensors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@alpinegreenneon I ran the bluetooth scanner and both o2 sensors are running without any issues and they graph and numbers are slightly off by either +/- .01 I've still got no codes. I did take the Coil packs off and cleaned them up as well as made sure they were sitting right and its doing it less now but not sure if it really helped or if maybe just my imagination as I'm not trying to floor it for fear of messing something up.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Check your mounts. Excessive movement as you accelerate might be causing a momentary harness short.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Throttle body going out maybe?
There would be codes if it was the throttle air control.
P0121-THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR 1 PERFORMANCE
P0122-THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT LOW
P0123-THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT HIGH
P0221-THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR 2 CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
P0222-THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR 2 CIRCUIT LOW
P0223-THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR 2 CIRCUIT HIGH
P0506-IDLE SPEED PERFORMANCE LOWER THAN EXPECTED
P0507-IDLE SPEED PERFORMANCE HIGHER THAN EXPECTED
P2072-ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL SYSTEM - ICE BLOCKAGE
P2100-ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL MOTOR CIRCUIT/OPEN - BANK 1
P2101-ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL MOTOR PERFORMANCE - BANK 1
P2107-ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL MODULE PROCESSOR
P2110-ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL SYSTEM BANK 1- FORCED LIMITED RPM
P2111-ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL SYSTEM - UNABLE TO CLOSE - BANK 1
P2112-ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL SYSTEM - UNABLE TO OPEN - BANK 1
P2118-ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL MOTOR CURRENT PERFORMANCE - BANK 1
P2135-THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR 1/2 CORRELATION

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Issue Resolved IDK if it just stopped or if what I did worked. But I decided to replace the NGK Iridium plug since they're under warranty and even though there wasn't a misfire code when I removed them two looked pretty worn for only 3500 miles. Manufacturer recommends a gap of .047 but MP recommends .041-.042 I set mine to .042. This time around i used the manufacturer recommendation and ever since it stopped choking itself. I'm not expert but the problem has gone away. Maybe it was bad plugs, or the closer gap didn't sit well for my car, but it works fine now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts