Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has my dart in AZ (I'm in UT) and says the battery died. He's not mechanically inclined so needs help changing it. Went to a shop to have them do it and he was told the dealership has to do it. This can't be right can it? I mean it's just a battery or is there something a little different in this battery install? I can't drive 700 miles to change a battery but I don't want him to get taken either. Is this install just like any other battery install?

·
Super Moderator
3,467 Posts
It should be like any battery install unless something is missing. There may be a code thrown while the battery is disconnected but it should go away itself. The positive terminal has a fuse block, maybe that threw them. There are 2 terminal nuts that just need to be loosened not removed and a nut for the hold down bracket. Here is link for a how to:

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
It should be like any battery install unless something is missing. There may be a code thrown while the battery is disconnected but it should go away itself. The positive terminal has a fuse block, maybe that threw them. There are 2 terminal nuts that just need to be loosened not removed and a nut for the hold down bracket. Here is link for a how to:
I replaced my battery in the dark in -25 weather. It took about 10 minutes. It doesn't throw a code on 2013 Darts, just on 2014 and up models. It's just a battery with a funny-looking positive terminal, there's nothing special about it, and any shop that isn't confident in changing it probably should pack up their wrenches and shut it down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The positive terminal is large and complex, but it has a ten millimeter socket size bolt that sits vertically in that terminal. Loosen that bolt a few turns and lift the entire terminal assembly off the post. Reinstall is the reverse of the removal, it is that simple. My wife's `14 Dart has over 200K miles now, changed the battery twice with no issues and no codes. It is a great car all told, but i guess one needs a little common mechanical sense to maintain it properly. The shop that figures they cannot swap out the battery is correct, it sounds like they cannot do that simple task. Run from that place and find yourself a socket set and swap the battery out very easily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My son has my dart in AZ (I'm in UT) and says the battery died. He's not mechanically inclined so needs help changing it. Went to a shop to have them do it and he was told the dealership has to do it. This can't be right can it? I mean it's just a battery or is there something a little different in this battery install? I can't drive 700 miles to change a battery but I don't want him to get taken either. Is this install just like any other battery install?
Ok, so I have a 2013 Dart Limited 2.0
I've had to change the battery once so far since I owned it. The only difference is that if you don't buy a Mopar battery the component that set on the positive battery terminal won't seat just perfectly. So I had to turn the component till I could get it to fit just right. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT ONLY A DEALERSHIP CAN DO! I hope this helped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had the same problem a few years ago. Sams Club has a real good price and it was December in the Chicago area freezing cold. They would sell the battery but refused to install it; I believe for the same reason as it could flash a code. Went to a Merlin shop. Paid a little more, but had no issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts