Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got this little (81k) cutie for our daughter who drove it home 50miles no problems. Button the second day after 100miles ownership (service transmission) appeared on the dash along with the engine light and the trans. was shifting weird and without reverse, My daughter brought it to our local dealer the following day and they could not duplicate the problem so no repair was performed though they confirmed the P1C99-00 code and the TCM recall had been done, then told her to bring it back where we bought it.
So I drove it tonight (engine light still on) and found the car works great until it is well warmed up, 10 hwy miles into town then 1 mile driving through town (3 stop signs) then the service transmission message appeared at 25mph and yep shifting went to weird. Basically, the car will start off in 2nd, upshift to 3rd and then 6th (skip shift?) at what seem relatively normal intervals pending on throttle position or demand. Downshift also used only the same gears. Kickdown felt like both clutches may have been engaged so No further testing of this was performed. Reverse was also no longer available.
So I am suspecting an actuator, sensor, or valve body but without a schematic, I'll play havoc to find the issue unless anyone here can point me in the right direction maybe throw me a wiring diagram, maybe programming parameters? or just tell me what I don't want to hear.
I'll be driving the car to work in the morning for possible missed symptoms and also to use there shop to check it out further. 32deg here today if that helps any.
Thanks in advance and carpe diem !!

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM), C635 DDCT / Diagnosis and Testing

P1C99-00-GEAR SHIFT POSITION SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT

Theory of Operation

This diagnostic compares the output signal of the sensor to threshold values of normal operations. When the signal is out of range the diagnostic will be considered failing. The sensor is mounted next to the 1st - 3rd gear engagement actuator to detect a linear movement of the piston. For this purpose a permanent magnet is mounted on the piston which is moved over a complete travel stroke. The magnet position generates a saturation area in the internal ferromagnetic core of the sensor which is transformed to an output position signal. The sensor provides an output signal with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) at a fixed frequency and duty cycle proportional to the piston position of the actuator. The PWM duty cycle ranges between 10% and 90%.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•Ignition is on or the TCM control unit is in power-on state.
•The engine is not in cranking mode.
•Power supply is between 7 - 24 volts.
•Main Micro Processor (MMP) supply diagnostics have not failed.
•The Sensor Power Supply 1 (VS1) to the Gear Shift Position Sensor “A” has no electrical failure.

Set Conditions:

•PWM Duty Cycle Fixed Value:

◦The duty cycle value is continuously fixed between 4% and 6% (i.e. the magnet reference is lost).

•PWM Duty Cycle Check Range:

◦The duty cycle value is more than 90% or less than 10%, but not between 4% and 6% (PWM Duty Cycle Fixed Value).

Possible Causes

5 VOLT SUPPLY A CIRCUIT OPEN
1-3 POSITION SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
1-3 POSITION SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
1-3 POSITION SENSOR
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM)

·
Registered
3,016 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Have seen this with a low battery too. If that 2013 has the original battery, it's past-due for replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You both tremendously alpinegreenneon and Syleen thunder

I pulled 3 codes (P1C99 shift position sensor - P1CC1 actuator out of range - P1D6A unexpected neutral disengagement) then cleared them.
Then I drove the car 25miles through the twisty hills to my work and back with no problems at all and no engine light.
I then gave her the car, she drove it the same distance and schedule but less hilly. Her second drive to work the transmission went sluggish -no engine light-, she paddled it down into 5th and it was better but immediately approached a stop sign after which it shifted perfectly again (I hope it didn't stick into both gears as I suspected before).
It sure seems like the TCM is receiving a sporadic PWM signal from the position sensor and sending the actuator on an -unexpected- goose chase since {{"most" actuators will fail outright, mechanical failures don't return themselves as being perfect unless harmonics is involved (please not!!) and sensors can go in and out of consciousness for several reasons including contamination, a bad connection and/or an old battery}} You guys' input is appreciated hear too in case I'm missing something:/
Sorry but I forgot to mention one time it did not crank for her yet it started perfect for me 5 minutes later.
I will check for codes again in the morning as well as I will be taking her for a code setting drive having my local dealer on alert to arrival with the code/s set/idling in their parking lot (good luck right?). We hope they will have the ability (with your and factory technical support) to fix her because we think she is the coolest little heartbreaker out there.
Talk soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was a bad actuator and they updated to the TCM (not the recall, that was done 2 yrs ago), would have cost $4K if not for the powertrain warranty as I was told. I guess we got lucky here I hope others do as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts