Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to get the coolant from somewhere else other than Mopar/dealerships? Are there equivalents to it?

The coolant seems to be specific and special but can someone correct me if I'm wrong? At my dealership, the coolant is CAD $70 bucks for crying out loud and they don't even stock the premix anymore, only the concentrate.

The coolant in question is the Mopar OAT 50/50 prediluted mix. Part number is 68163849AB

I was looking at my local canadian tire and saw Prestone Premixed that quotes "Compatible with any anti-freeze/ coolant – regardless of colour – for use in all makes and models of cars and light duty trucks". But I see no mention of OAT.

The more I google and search, the more confusing this is getting as I get results that either state the exact Mopar coolant I specified or get unrelated answers.

So I'm basically asking if there are cheaper alternatives or brands and if possible, what makes this coolant so special?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Is it possible to get the coolant from somewhere else other than Mopar/dealerships? Are there equivalents to it?

The coolant seems to be specific and special but can someone correct me if I'm wrong? At my dealership, the coolant is CAD $70 bucks for crying out loud and they don't even stock the premix anymore, only the concentrate.

The coolant in question is the Mopar OAT 50/50 prediluted mix. Part number is 68163849AB

I was looking at my local canadian tire and saw Prestone Premixed that quotes "Compatible with any anti-freeze/ coolant – regardless of colour – for use in all makes and models of cars and light duty trucks". But I see no mention of OAT.

The more I google and search, the more confusing this is getting as I get results that either state the exact Mopar coolant I specified or get unrelated answers.

So I'm basically asking if there are cheaper alternatives or brands and if possible, what makes this coolant so special?
WOW $ 70 CAD is crazy. I never bothered to look, but looking at AutoZone, the pre-mixed one they claim is compatible is still 19.99. I buy the non diluted antifreeze from the dealer for $25.00 then buy a gallon of distilled water at the supermarket and do my 50/50 that way, now I got two bottles for basically 26 bucks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crazy is correct. I even looked on amazon.ca because its on there for some reason, and the mopar stuff is 70 bucks too.

But at my local Canadian Tire, a jug of 50/50 coolant that's supposedly compatible with the 1.4l dart (at least when you filter results for a specific vehicle it's what comes up) and the price is only 20 bucks.

So hopefully it's understandable why I'm asking lol.

But I may have to go the route of mixing with distilled water. It's just the price is still ludicrous. The lady quoted me for like 40 bucks or something so Im waiting to buy it. Was hoping for some clarity if there's anything really special about the coolant the Dart uses and if I could just use another alternative

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wanted to give an update in case this question ever comes up again.

I found a perfect alternative for a fraction of the price. The Mopar premix costing me $70 CAD, I can get 3 of these jugs and still pay less.

Found these at my local Canadian Tire. They didn't always have these there but its a blessing to see it exist.

Hopefully the pictures are clear.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,290 Posts
Not all OAT is equal. It needs to say:
MS-12106 or MS-90032

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. In my manual it doesn't state that specifically.

So what's the difference between the 2?

·
Super Moderator
3,290 Posts
Google Mopar Chemicals.Catalog pdf

See this link:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So here's what it says in the manual. It doesn't state anything specific.

I don't doubt that not all OAT coolants are the same.

But may I ask where Dodge mentions that it has to be either of the specific MS numbers you mentioned? Because one would assume it would be in the manual at the very least. And as far as I can tell, the coolant I pictured above is an equivalent product.

Unless someone can tell me why it is not.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,290 Posts
The Mopar coolant is good for 100K miles or 10 years, twice what you bought is rated for. That is what the owners manual specifies.
I have three vehicles that use the Mopar coolant. I have a gallon of the concentrate on hand. I did not pay $70 but found it online for much less.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point I guess.

Obviously not recommended, but I unfortunately will be sticking to this product for top off until I can find a suitable alternative. Because 70 bucks for a jug is reodiculous and the concentrated is not much cheaper.

Part of me feels this is just some kind of money making scheme. My Dart will be a Guinea Pig.

Will definitely update if anything goes wrong due to the mixing of the two.

Thanks for you help. Very much appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
3,290 Posts
I thought others researched this and the Prestone with Cor-Guard was compatible and worked fine?

Factory OAT Coolant Equivalent thread
Prestone does not specify that it can last 10 years or 100k miles. If you do some googling, it gets really confusing when they start talking about inhibitors that are specific to each manufacturer. Times have changed since all coolant used to be the same. If you remember anything from high school chemistry, dissimilar metals in the presence of a liquid causes oxidation or corrosion. That's what the inhibitors are all about. Those inhibitors can break down or get used up and that's why coolant eventually needs to be replaced. If FCA says their OAT can last 10 years, do you really want to risk using something else that may not be compatible? Of course the aftermarket coolant manufacturers want you to buy their stuff and will claim it's compatible. Maybe 95% compatible but if it works for so many vehicles, is that good enough?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I did a lot more reading from various forums and the conclusion is that all OAT coolants are perfectly compatible with each other.

The main key points to look at are:
1: OAT uses phosphates NOT silicates
2: Distilled water only if mixing yourself
3: All companies want you to buy their crap
4: All coolants should be flushed at set intervals (for example 3-5 years) no matter what is stated as not every vehicle is driven in the same manner

If anything, it seems the safest bet and rule of thumb is to stick with a brand your fond of and flush your system and only use said brand if you want to avoid "mixing" chemicals.

Just as long as it's an OAT coolant as it is primarily the industry standard now and Chrysler was the last one to adopt it.

You don't have to take my word for it. Through extra digging on coolants themselves will reveal a lot. The problem is I (and I'm assuming many others) thought the Dart used some special or even proprietary coolant. This happens to not be the case at all. Mopar just wants you to use their marked up costs like any other manufacturer wants you to use theirs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts