Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2015 Dart SXT 2.4L that's hitting 200k miles. The maintnance schedule in the user manual ends at 150k miles so I'll be repeating the 100k maintenance items like spark plugs, air filters, serpentine belt. I've heard people also suggest a water pump, coolant flush and a timing chain. Are those items really necessary? I could probably do my own water pump but the timing chain seems to be outside my skill range and I don't want to pay too much for it. Also do you have any other suggestions for maintenance?

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
Timing chain is good until at least 250k miles. You will hear it but it is not likely to break. You can do it yourself, if you have ever done a timing belt, not really much different. The water pump is not driven by the timing chain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would follow the mileage interval. ie: Every 60k miles change some fluid or change belt. If they added every service change to the manual it would be a huge book. By 60K, 120K 180K miles things like coolant, trans fluid should be changed, brake fluid and what ever I didn't mention. While doing that you should be inspecting things like belts and anything else that maybe spinning. Belts should be free of cracks and voids, which may not beon the normal schedule. PMCS (Preventative Maintenance checks and services) should be done regularily regardless of the schedule due to deviation in product quality. Brake fluid should be checked also since its hydroscopic. With the exception being oil, I personally would check all the other fluids at 40 to 60K intervals. If you feel it needs it then change it. Better to error on the side of caution. Never done timing so I cant answer that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for suggestions. I'll skip the timing chain because I've never done it. I haven't changed coolant in 100k miles or more so I think I'll do water pump and coolant flush. How about the fuel injectors? replace or maybe just a cleaning? or leave them alone?

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
How about the fuel injectors? replace or maybe just a cleaning? or leave them alone?
The rule about "if is isn't broken, don't fix it" applies to fuel injectors. If you don't have a code or drivability problems, leave them alone. Trying to remove the connectors from them can make a problem you did not have. I have never replaced or cleaned an injector on any of my 20+ year old Neons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rule about "if is isn't broken, don't fix it" applies to fuel injectors. If you don't have a code or drivability problems, leave them alone. Trying to remove the connectors from them can make a problem you did not have. I have never replaced or cleaned an injector on any of my 20+ year old Neons.
So besides the things I mentioned what other maintenance I can do to take my Dart to 300k miles?

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
Tires, brakes, and anything else as needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts