Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this is perfect for this question. I know someone who has a 2000 Chevy Mailbu with just about 1000,000 or very little over; when they turn the heater on they smell gas. Dealership claimed they couldn’t figure it out. Where should I check first? Maybe the filters? I have no clue any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Happy Holidays!

·
Super Moderator
3,387 Posts
Any evap codes? Maybe plastic fuel line has a tiny crack.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn’t check with a reader. No CEL yet... I didn’t think anything would show up. I was thinking it was a leak somewhere.
Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
Open the hood and smell around the engine.. Does it smell like fuel?
Next start the engine, and put your head back in the engine bay, smell for fuel and look for spraying fuel.

If you dont smell or see fuel spraying..
Change the interior fresh air filter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I was going to check the air filter but they normally change their filter pretty regularly. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked and this car doesn’t have an air filter? Could that be right? That’s weird right?

·
Super Moderator
3,387 Posts
Older entry level cars did not have cabin air filters. One of my Neons maybe 5 years ago had a pinhole crack in the plastic fuel line between the metal line and the injector rail, and the only way I could find it was with the engine running. The gas dried up almost instantly. Replaced it with a junkyard line and it's been fine ever since. Rubber evap lines tend to get brittle with age and they just have vapor, not liquid fuel so check all those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts