Dodge Dart Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mine is at 63% at 3 months and 1800 miles. The dealer sent me an e-mail saying it's time for an oil change. I got the BIG owners manual and it says to go buy the monitor, I do not want to void the warranty by going over the mileage. I've been reading that an oil change at the dealer is about $63, is that right?
Wait til the monitor says what!? I think that just shows %, I wouldn't wait til 0%

My dealer bugged the shit out of me, 2 voicemails and 2 emails. It's at 4 months just about 2k mi.

I asked a while ago about my first being sooner. One guy said it's got break-in oil, not to do it early.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mine is at 63% at 3 months and 1800 miles. The dealer sent me an e-mail saying it's time for an oil change. I got the BIG owners manual and it says to go buy the monitor, I do not want to void the warranty by going over the mileage. I've been reading that an oil change at the dealer is about $63, is that right?
You dealer wants to make money so they will say change it every 2000 or 3000 miles. Dodge who has to pay for repairs if the motor goes bad says to go by the monitor and they could say anything they want. At some point it will say change oil ( I have not gotten there yet I'm at 16% at 6300miles) at that point have it changed. But don't go over 10k or a year as stated in the manual and you are fine.

You dealer will love you if you have it changed twice as much as needed. It won't hurt anything but I would rather take my wife out to dinner for $63 vs have the oil changed for no reason.

The old number of 3000 miles was based on old oil technology and the worse case. The computer reads cycles , temps , engine speeds ect and based on historical data says you have x% of oil life lift. If you drive all stop and go with 3 mile trips then it will probbaly be close to every 3k. If you drive all highway 1000 mile trips it will be close to 10k.

Sent from my iPhone using DodgeDart

·
Registered
273 Posts
Even with our engines using thin oil to do all the work internally, you're saying do an oil change every 7-10k miles?
I'm from Michigan where it was -11 this year and engine temp is around 200+ for me during summer.
I could see stretching it in a area with even climate, but that oil is being tortured.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Even with our engines using thin oil to do all the work internally, you're saying do an oil change every 7-10k miles?
I'm from Michigan where it was -11 this year and engine temp is around 200+ for me during summer.
I could see stretching it in a area with even climate, but that oil is being tortured.
You would think so, but 0W-20 has such crazy shear resistance that it can go that long and still be perfectly fine. If you haven't, take some time and check out Bob is the Oil Guy.com. Good information on there about 0W-20. Even after 10k on it, it will still probably have some life left in it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Even with our engines using thin oil to do all the work internally, you're saying do an oil change every 7-10k miles? I'm from Michigan where it was -11 this year and engine temp is around 200+ for me during summer. I could see stretching it in a area with even climate, but that oil is being tortured.
I'm not saying it. The people much smarter than you or I who designed the engine and wrote the manual are saying it. Have you studied the specs of the oil to see what the max sustained operating temp or duration of the oil is? Or is it a just a feeling that -11 to 200 deg would torture the oil?

I'm a airline pilot and the oil in the jet engine works at 1600 + degrees all day long and has a min operating temp of -30. I'm sure that's not the same oil that's in the dart but it is possible for oil to deal with temps that are high and I am sure the 0w-20 of today is not the same as the 10w-30 of 30 years ago when it was recommended to change oil every 3000 miles.

I had a MINI that used synthetic and had a computer oil life indicator. It would sometimes go 15,000 miles between changes and my engine had not issues. There were people on the mini forum that also knew more than the engineered and said you had to change it every 3000 miles.

Bottom line is that I see no reason why dodge would design an oil life indicator or owners manual that gave false info when they have to cover the engine for 100,000 miles.

It's like people that burn 93 octane gas in the 2.4 because they think it's better. There is not reason for it other that the gas company calling it premium vs regular giving the impression it's better. If a person has extra money and like the warm and fuzzy of 3000 mile oil changes go ahead it won't hurt anything but people should not feel they are being bad car owners by doing what dodge says to do.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was thinking of doing an oil change at 500 miles. I know engines as they break in get little specks of metal in the oil and i'm not really comfortable driving it for 1000's of miles before changing it. after this first initial change though i'll just go by the oil life indicator.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I change the oil when the car says to. I have been doing that with every car I have had with this type of system which was 1997.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not saying it. The people much smarter than you or I who designed the engine and wrote the manual are saying it. Have you studied the specs of the oil to see what the max sustained operating temp or duration of the oil is? Or is it a just a feeling that -11 to 200 deg would torture the oil?

I'm a airline pilot and the oil in the jet engine works at 1600 + degrees all day long and has a min operating temp of -30. I'm sure that's not the same oil that's in the dart but it is possible for oil to deal with temps that are high and I am sure the 0w-20 of today is not the same as the 10w-30 of 30 years ago when it was recommended to change oil every 3000 miles.

I had a MINI that used synthetic and had a computer oil life indicator. It would sometimes go 15,000 miles between changes and my engine had not issues. There were people on the mini forum that also knew more than the engineered and said you had to change it every 3000 miles.

Bottom line is that I see no reason why dodge would design an oil life indicator or owners manual that gave false info when they have to cover the engine for 100,000 miles.

It's like people that burn 93 octane gas in the 2.4 because they think it's better. There is not reason for it other that the gas company calling it premium vs regular giving the impression it's better. If a person has extra money and like the warm and fuzzy of 3000 mile oil changes go ahead it won't hurt anything but people should not feel they are being bad car owners by doing what dodge says to do.

Interesting you bring up turbine oil. When I was a line mechanic with a major (I also worked engine overhaul for a engine manufacturer), we never drained and replaced engine oil on an overnight or a B check. Only the oil screens were pulled and checked. The only oil that was drained and replaced was the starter oil. When oil type was replace for the engines, we didn't drain and change it then either. It was refill replace only. As you point out, turbine oil is a different animal. Now that I am in the oil industry and have learned more about automotive engine oil, I have no problems with running engine oil until the car says to change it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For those using Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20, were you able to find a jug of it with the PurePlus technology labeling? Every store I go to seems to have that labeling on everything EXCEPT the 0W-20. I'm wondering if this is just a labeling thing, or if the product is actually different. The stuff I've been finding looks like this:

Motor oil Water Liqueur Fluid Liquid

and everything else looks like this:

Motor oil Product Fluid Lubricant

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldn't trust oil life monitors to save my life, or my car's life for that matter. Oil change interval should be based on the oil itself. Conventional oil is usually ready to be changed around 3k and synthetic around 5k. Check your half-lives!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I wouldn't trust oil life monitors to save my life, or my car's life for that matter. Oil change interval should be based on the oil itself. Conventional oil is usually ready to be changed around 3k and synthetic around 5k. Check your half-lives!
Boy that's not true. No conventional oil needs to be changed at 3k miles. Even back into the 80's the recommend drain intervals from the manufactuers was 6k-7.5k and with the improvement in oils 10k is no issue. The only people recommending and perpetuating 3k mile oil changes are the fast change places that have a financial gain by getting folks in as often as possible.

Synthetic oils are good up to 25k miles and there are 100's of independent tests that show that.

As far as oil life monitors, it's a 20 year old proven technology, there is no reason not to trust them.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts