Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas how long this engine will last?
currently at 70k, no leaks, no smoke

my daughter is the original owner of a gt with the 2.4l and it’s always needed oil added between regular changes. It’s been to the dealer for both recalls and they haven’t found anything

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
Should last a long time unless it really starts to drink the oil. Only way to fix it is to replace the engine from what i know
This is true. It depends on how much oil is needed. I usually go about 7500 miles on my oil change intervals, and I am usually only about 1 quart low or I only get about 4 out. So really not even needing oil in between. If you're needing more than 2 quarts of oil or more than 1 in a shorter oil change interval, then you probably have an oil consumption issue. It won't be leaking, it's going to be burned in the engine, but probably not enough at a time to give you the burning oil smoke. You are over the oil consumption mileage that really makes it plausible to even qualify for an engine replacement. Reason being, after 50k, you need to burn 1 quart every 750 miles which is absolutely unheard of. Before that it's like 1 quart every 2k or 3k or something which is a little more attainable with an engine burning oil

Long story short, if you're dumping in oil all the time, you probably are burning too much oil and it needs a new engine, however unless the dealer doesn't follow the TSB for oil consumption, it's probably not going to happen. In terms of engine life. I really am not sure on how that will effect the long term life of the engine. Mine has 85k on it, and still runs great. As long as you keep up on the consumption, you should be good. Also I would suggest getting an oil catch can if you plan on keeping it because that will further avoid oil getting burned off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts