Dodge Dart Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ive only gone about 250 miles since oil change and I wont check the oil level until after at least 500 miles. But, I do notice that the transmission shifts better. When Im climbing a hill getting on to the freeway, it stays in the lower gear longer (the way I think it is supposed to to) so I have plenty of power to get up to speed, (before I might have had to manually downshift which is a pia). It also seems to have more power in each gear, especially 5th and 6th (auto trans).
It does make me wonder though. there is no dipstick for trans fluid on these cars. I wonder if, unless it is really low, the dealers dont tell you the trans fluid is low and only fill it when it is really low. Thats almost how it has acted. One reason I say that is when Ive complained about the oil lever being too low, Ive had them look at the oil dipstick right in front of me. It would say "down a quart". And these guys actually had the balls to tell me it was reading full. Even when I argued with them. Im 72 years old and know how to read a dipstick.

·
Super Moderator
5,143 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 2.4l multi air in my 200c and jeep compass, did some looking and there are 4 sizes of pistons for this motor an 88.5mm 88.25 88, 87.5 now I'm no mechanic but how much would you bet the wrong size for put in the motors. I read a report from fca that 1qt every 1,000mi is normal consumption and 1qt every 500mi is normal for vehicles over 60,000mi...

·
Registered
58 Posts
That report you read was put out in 2015 for dodge to cover their ass. It is not normal for any brand new car to use that much oil. And it is not normallll for any car to use a qt of oil over 60k miles. They were saying that because they dont want to fix all those cars with mfg defects.

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
That report you read was put out in 2015 for dodge to cover their ass. It is not normal for any brand new car to use that much oil. And it is not normallll for any car to use a qt of oil over 60k miles. They were saying that because they dont want to fix all those cars with mfg defects.
What FCA put out in 2015 was up to 1 quart per 2000 miles up to just over 60K miles (it was a very exact mileage figure) and after that up to 1 quart per 750 miles is normal. I don't know if it was new or just a little-known spec. Every automaker has similar standards for abnormal oil consumption. How else would they be able to measure the results of an oil consumption test? And FCA has replaced a fair number of 2.4L Tigershark engines for excessive oil consumption. It took them a remarkably long time to figure out what was going on, and how to at least mitigate it. You'd think they would have figured out the whole software thing in 2014/2015, when they were getting more reports than expect of excessive oil consumption. It defies explanation that it took until 2021 for them to figure out this fix.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What FCA put out in 2015 was up to 1 quart per 2000 miles up to just over 60K miles (it was a very exact mileage figure) and after that up to 1 quart per 750 miles is normal. I don't know if it was new or just a little-known spec. Every automaker has similar standards for abnormal oil consumption. How else would they be able to measure the results of an oil consumption test? And FCA has replaced a fair number of 2.4L Tigershark engines for excessive oil consumption. It took them a remarkably long time to figure out what was going on, and how to at least mitigate it. You'd think they would have figured out the whole software thing in 2014/2015, when they were getting more reports than expect of excessive oil consumption. It defies explanation that it took until 2021 for them to figure out this fix.
The paper I have is dated 2015 and is specific to that engine. They have replaced some motors because they exceeded even those excessive amounts of oil. Those figures are normal for this car, but not normal for any car. It is normal because of an engineering flaw and was not disclosed to customers, anywhere. The standards you are talking about are a way for the factories to cover their ass for just a few cars that have problems. Ive owned about 15 brand new cars in my lifetime and not ONE has ever used ANY oil until at least over 150k miles. And the only one that did start then was maybe a quarter of a qt in 5000 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
The paper I have is dated 2015 and is specific to that engine. They have replaced some motors because they exceeded even those excessive amounts of oil. Those figures are normal for this car, but not normal for any car. It is normal because of an engineering flaw and was not disclosed to customers, anywhere. The standards you are talking about are a way for the factories to cover their ass for just a few cars that have problems. Ive owned about 15 brand new cars in my lifetime and not ONE has ever used ANY oil until at least over 150k miles. And the only one that did start then was maybe a quarter of a qt in 5000 miles.
Oil consumption in even brand new cars has become a major source of complaints in the last 10-15 years. Do you think the huge simultaneous increases in horsepower and fuel economy were free? No, many cars consume oil because of engineering choices (relaxed engine tolerance and 0W-16 oil) and customers demanding almost maintenance-free vehicles. Have you looked at the recommended service intervals on performance luxury vehicles from the likes of Mercedes and BMW? They're in the 12 month/10K mile range. That's for basic maintenance like oil changes. For other more advanced stuff, they don't really say. People who buy these cars generally don't want to know this stuff, I guess. That's why nobody with any sense buys a used modern MB or BMW. They're almost all poorly maintained even if the owner is diligent about following the manufacturer's recommendations.

People just don't realize the importance of diligent maintenance. The Toyota Corolla is renown for its long-term reliability, however this is very much contingent on diligent maintenance. If you routinely delay oil changes on its engine, carbon deposits will start to build up on the piston rings, causing them to harden and lose their ability to seal the combustion chamber from the rest of the engine. That it starts to consume oil is only the most obvious symptom. Much worse is that fuel is leaking into the crankcase and destroying the oil's lubricating properties. Once you've reached this point, you need a new engine. It turns out that some of the engines used in the Corolla are very sensitive to this issue (from what I've read about them and seen on YouTube), so even if the engineers have done their best to build an engine to last and the automaker wants to sell a car that is known for good long-term reliability, they will be foiled by a "minimal maintenance" consumer attitude.

All that said, I don't know why you think automakers feel a need to "cover their ass" when it comes to oil consumption. They really don't need to do that. The courts have their back in this regard, regarding oil consumption as normal, and allowing the automaker to determine just how much oil consumption is normal, on the theory that as the engine designer they are the subject expert. It only becomes an issue if the automaker has themselves deemed that a defect exists and tried to cover up that fact. That's why Subaru was successfully sued for excessive oil consumption (they knew there were defectively built engines) and Audi was not (they noted the possibility of high oil consumption in the vehicle's owner's manual). Even then, the penalty was an extended warranty for people with defective engines and the cash value of a few quarts of oil.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It is not normal for a brand new car to use oil. And the paper, that came out after the fact (they have a newer one that is even worst) is to cover their ass. And, btw, the dart is by no figment of the imagination, a high performance car. And if so many cars were having this problem, especially at this extreme, the complaints would be massive, and would be all over the media. And, btw, I know a lot of people who, in just the last couple of years, have purchased brand new cars of many mfg's. And not one has had a problem with their brand new car using oil.

Also, I am, and always have been, one who always maintains my car. I always change the oil at between 3k and 4k miles. Way sooner than dodge tells you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
UPDATE
I've had the update for 6k miles and my car had been consistently using .5 quart every 1000 miles. I'm beyond excited to report it has consumed zero oil since the update! It does coast alot better when letting off the throttle but other then that no difference that I've noticed.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts