Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After many years of customers complaining, Chrysler has finally addressed the oil consumption issue on this engine.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
"According to a customer rep, the oil is being sucked into the cylinders during deceleration; the solution was to change the software to prevent vacuum from being created in the cylinders at critical times"

That's hard for me to accept as the reason for oil consumption. It clearly gets worse as the years go by and mileage goes up. I still say it's bad/cheap rings installed on the pistons.

I use AutoStick all the time to drop down to 3rd gear around 4k rpms and engine brake. I do it almost daily so I would expect mine to eat oil like crazy, but it's still 1 qt every 3k miles or so. Not perfect but not horrible consumption either.

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
"According to a customer rep, the oil is being sucked into the cylinders during deceleration; the solution was to change the software to prevent vacuum from being created in the cylinders at critical times"

That's hard for me to accept as the reason for oil consumption. It clearly gets worse as the years go by and mileage goes up. I still say it's bad/cheap rings installed on the pistons.

I use AutoStick all the time to drop down to 3rd gear around 4k rpms and engine brake. I do it almost daily so I would expect mine to eat oil like crazy, but it's still 1 qt every 3k miles or so. Not perfect but not horrible consumption either.
It's probably fairly complex software. Note the "at critical times" in the rep's response, meaning that a vacuum state might exist at other times. If it was bad piston rings, you would think somebody would have torn an affected engine down and proven it by now, since it's not like this is a rare engine or a rare problem. It's one of their main engine offerings for North America. There's also a link in one of the comments that this fix will probably be rolled out to other vehicles with this engine. Since pretty much every Dart with a 2.4L is out of warranty, we'll see how magnanimous they are.

Even if it is cheap rings, this could still solve the problem, because it might the combination of marginal rings and too much vacuum that is causing oil to get sucked into the engine. Reduce the cylinder vacuum and you reduce the ability of oil to be forced past the rings. Still, it's embarrassing that they didn't figure this out in R&D, especially since the engine took almost 6 months longer to go into production than was planned.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Just received this notice in the mail. The W20 customer satisfaction notice is available for the darts already. I'll make an appointment to get this performed as soon as possible and report back if it solves the issue or not. Also hoping there's no negative side effects for this reprogram.

·
Super Moderator
5,143 Posts
I would think twice about getting your PCM flashed especially if you are not burning oil. They are probably tweaking the MultiAir to lower the vacuum. Possibly a band aid fix to get through the warranty and bad publicity. High vacuum during deceleration is normal and is not a problem if the piston rings are tight.

Reactions: Davidmk5

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got this recall repair done yesterday on my 2014 Dart. I love this car, and I'm really hoping this solves the issue. Kinda tired of checking oil at every fill up, as previous advice from the Dodge dealer was "It's how these engines are. Just check the oil every time you get gas and you shouldn't have a problem"...good advice...in 1961.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I just received my notice. Trying to decide if I want to do this since I never had the issue. I would also need to throw my OEM ECU back in to do this. I wish the notice explained the fix in greater detail.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I got this recall repair done yesterday on my 2014 Dart. I love this car, and I'm really hoping this solves the issue. Kinda tired of checking oil at every fill up, as previous advice from the Dodge dealer was "It's how these engines are. Just check the oil every time you get gas and you shouldn't have a problem"...good advice...in 1961.
Can you keep us updated with your results after you put some miles on your car?

·
Registered
2013 Dart Rallye 1.4L
11 Posts
According to a Youtube video I just watched, a livestream on WatchJRGo titled " Live With A Mopar Master Tech // Ask Us Anything @Tyler Potter ". A viewer asked about the recall for the Fiat 500 oil consumption fix by updating the software. According to the Mopar Master tech, the update fixes an issue with the intake valves remaining closed while coasting the car, causing a vacuum pulling oil into the cylinders past the piston rings. I'm not sure how the car can continue to run with all intake valves closed until you are no longer coasting, but this is how he explained it. The software fix would allow the intake valves to continue opening. Skip to 20:45 in the video to get to it. He asks about mods, but the oil issue is brought up.

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
According to a Youtube video I just watched, a livestream on WatchJRGo titled " Live With A Mopar Master Tech // Ask Us Anything @Tyler Potter ". A viewer asked about the recall for the Fiat 500 oil consumption fix by updating the software. According to the Mopar Master tech, the update fixes an issue with the intake valves remaining closed while coasting the car, causing a vacuum pulling oil into the cylinders past the piston rings. I'm not sure how the car can continue to run with all intake valves closed until you are no longer coasting, but this is how he explained it. The software fix would allow the intake valves to continue opening. Skip to 20:45 in the video to get to it. He asks about mods, but the oil issue is brought up.
Specific the 2.4L engine, the MultiAir system can fully control the timing, lift, and duration of the intake valves opening, including not lifting them at all. Likely the real culprit is a flawed basic design that does not causes the piston rings to provide marginal performance, but this fix should actually help with the issue.

Note that this isn't a recall, which is a mandatory fix to a safety issue, and shouldn't be referred to as such. This is a customer service campaign to address a flaw that technically they don't have to even acknowledge, much less correct out of warranty. If the software fix doesn't solve the issue, they don't have to do anything more. As to why this will never be a recall issue when even they note that it causes the engine to stall, the owner's manual recommends checking the oil level regularly, and even suggests at every fuel stop. That language alone mitigates any safety issues related to oil consumption. Maintaining proper fluid levels in a vehicle, and being aware of the manufacturer's written recommendations, has long been acknowledged as being the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I just got the notice today. Like the rest of you I'm on the fence about getting it done. My oil consumption isn't bad, but I always thought having to dump a fresh quart in at least once between oil changes was unacceptable on a fairly new car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just recieved mine this week as well. I bought my Dart brand new in 2014 and had a new motor put in at 14k miles due to oil consumption. Although it has been "better" since the first motor that went through a qt every 1k miles.... the new motor has now been a consistent .25 to .50 a quart every 500 miles (I just turned 116k). It's been a nightmare dealing with this car since day one but besides putting a new motor in my new car 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️it's been knock on wood a great car otherwise. I did however get Chrysler to give me free oil changes until 100k but it's been alot of extra oil checking and adding in-between! I've got nothing to lose at this point so it's worth a shot. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get it done sometime soon. I will definitely report back!
update I have a appointment tomorrow!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Browsing the internet, Ive found the same complaint with the ford 5.0 and maybe some other cars. The fix was to update the sw on the pcm. I wonder if fca really investigated this, or if they are just throwing something up against the wall to see if it works.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Since oil consumption continues to get worse with age, and the "fix" corrects the problem if you are getting a qt every 2k miles, I wonder if that implies that the continued "unfixed" oil usage has been causing damage causing the oil usage to continue to get worse.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts