Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I bought a 14 Dart Rallye a couple years ago and have noticed that I seem to be going through an extra 1.5 qt if oil between changes.
I've had the other half start the car to check for smoke but there never seems to be any. I also have not seen the occasional puff that you would normally see when burning oil but, the oil seems to be vanishing .

No leaks anywhere under the vehicle and there's no oil anywhere i can find.

As I'm to understand it. The multi air system is extremely complex.
Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.
Daniel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello all, I bought a 14 Dart Rallye a couple years ago and have noticed that I seem to be going through an extra 1.5 qt if oil between changes.
I've had the other half start the car to check for smoke but there never seems to be any. I also have not seen the occasional puff that you would normally see when burning oil but, the oil seems to be vanishing .

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.
Daniel
I'll be off grid for a couple days but will check back soon . TY

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wonder if anyone has tried using high mileage oil instead of the regular oil ? I wonder if that might at lease slow down the high consumption

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if anyone has tried using high mileage oil instead of the regular oil ? I wonder if that might at lease slow down the high consumption
I use high milage oil. From what I've read about the two. There's more detergent in high milage oil vs regular synthetic but viscosity doesn't change. Only thing i think might work is going to a 0 40 in the summer. I live in az so, winter I'll still have to run a lighter weight .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, my head was on other things.

I think I get about 4k between changes. I do it when the car says it's time. So what ever the computer is set for.
I usually change it at 5% . I usually don't track the milage directly

·
Registered
139 Posts
1.5 qts per 4K is actually not bad. Thats quite typical for this engine. My car consumes 1 qt per 600 miles, and has been since it was new ( 7 years ago). The dealership and Chrysler Cooperate refused to do anything for me and said its normal. Just check your oil level regularly and top up when necessary. You're out of warranty now so you don't need to spend money on a new engine when the new one will probably burn the same mount of oil. Its just a flaw with this engine that you'll have to live with.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yeah i'd say that's pretty good if you're getting the oil change interval that soon with that little amount of time you must do a lot of stop and go or any other sorta way that make the engine work harder

·
Registered
55 Posts
1.5 qts per 4K is actually not bad. Thats quite typical for this engine. My car consumes 1 qt per 600 miles, and has been since it was new ( 7 years ago). The dealership and Chrysler Cooperate refused to do anything for me and said its normal. Just check your oil level regularly and top up when necessary. You're out of warranty now so you don't need to spend money on a new engine when the new one will probably burn the same mount of oil. Its just a flaw with this engine that you'll have to live with.
A quart every 600 miles and they think that's within an acceptable tolerance? Those people are high, no way that is acceptable. I've been fortunate, my 2.4 doesn't burn anything after 100k plus miles

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
38 Posts
I did a change yesterday with 2200 miles on the oil, a 15 2.4. It used just over 3.5 oz and thats pretty good but ive read they found the oil issue is from decel, and seeing how from when I leave my drive way in my 70 mile round trip I slow down from 65 mph only 4 times on most days so that might have something to do with it. I do run 5w vs 0w.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did a change yesterday with 2200 miles on the oil, a 15 2.4. It used just over 3.5 oz and thats pretty good but ive read they found the oil issue is from decel, and seeing how from when I leave my drive way in my 70 mile round trip I slow down from 65 mph only 4 times on most days so that might have something to do with it. I do run 5w vs 0w.
Yeah, I read that aswell. The deceleration could explain why my oil consumption is so high. All my driving is in the city, in stop and go traffic. 1000Kms (600 Miles) in my car would involve a lot more deceleration then someone who does highway driving

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its from cold starts. The rings are too small on purpose. They swell up as the engine heats up and stop burning oil. That is a problem. I asked a high end mercedes tech and some of their cars have the same problem.

·
Registered
Helga - 2015 Dart GT/True Blue/2.4L/Auto/Sunroof/Mopar Sills/Mats/Bumper Protector/No Mods
6 Posts

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.
Daniel
About 1 quart every 5000 miles for my 2015 GT.

From what I have researched, as well as my personal experience when driving my car more aggressively (which I normally don’t do), oil loss can occur due to the Multi-Air system atomizing the rather thin oil in
our Darts more ready during hard use.

Try driving less aggressively for a couple of weeks or so, it might help but may not be as fun! 👍

1 - 19 of 19 Posts