Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I have had this car for about 4 years, we got it as a commuter since it accually tops out around 43MPG
anyway, about 3 weeks ago there came a strange noise from the right front that sounds like a wheel bearing but I have confirmed it is not. thought it was the CV carrier shaft bering, it is not.
I am thinking it is the timing chain.
makes a moan type sound that is very pronounced when cold, slowly goes away after apx 15 min of driving and then perfectly fine all day then repeats next day.
I dont want to spend $800 having a garage change out the tensioner when it may be something else far cheaper.
I know the tensioner only lasts about 100K but I dont hear any rattling or noise standing over the engine, you can only hear it in the car.
car has apx 130K now and has never been changed.
any help with me trying to track down my issue would be greatly appreciated.
I live by flint MI if anyone is close that could help diagnose.
thank you for your time

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
Probably a worn engine mount. Factory mounts are not the best and when they start to fail can make some really strange noises as the engine starts to rest on metal instead of rubber. Look at Deyeme Racing's mounts for a longer lasting set. The mounts are not difficult to replace yourself.
If you decide to replace the accessory belt tensioner, that is easily done yourself as well.
The procedures are posted if you search.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so it could also be a serpentine belt tensioner? these are what I like to hear. I don't mind some Maintenace but I don't want to dip into the timing system in the winter either?
so far its been a great car and this is the first real problem I have encountered

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
The 2.0 has an internal timing chain that should last to at least 250k miles. You will likely never need to worry about the timing chain or it's tensioner. The accessory belt is rubber and drives pulleys for the AC, alternator, and water pump. It has its own tensioner that is very easy to replace.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ok, I have had this car for about 4 years, we got it as a commuter since it accually tops out around 43MPG
anyway, about 3 weeks ago there came a strange noise from the right front that sounds like a wheel bearing but I have confirmed it is not. thought it was the CV carrier shaft bering, it is not.
I am thinking it is the timing chain.
makes a moan type sound that is very pronounced when cold, slowly goes away after apx 15 min of driving and then perfectly fine all day then repeats next day.
I dont want to spend $800 having a garage change out the tensioner when it may be something else far cheaper.
I know the tensioner only lasts about 100K but I dont hear any rattling or noise standing over the engine, you can only hear it in the car.
car has apx 130K now and has never been changed.
any help with me trying to track down my issue would be greatly appreciated.
I live by flint MI if anyone is close that could help diagnose.
thank you for your time
250k on my tensioner. These cars are so picky with electrical. Shut car of randomly touch wires under hood, start back up and fine. No idea culprit, but smile and be happy till the next under the hood groping has to be performed. Lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I going with the engine mounts. I have a trans mount on the way as well but it seems the most prevalent source of the noise.
I am guessing the hydraulic is blown

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably a worn engine mount. Factory mounts are not the best and when they start to fail can make some really strange noises as the engine starts to rest on metal instead of rubber. Look at Deyeme Racing's mounts for a longer lasting set. The mounts are not difficult to replace yourself.
If you decide to replace the accessory belt tensioner, that is easily done yourself as well.
The procedures are posted if you search.
you were correct, I replaced the engine mount and it sounds like I replaced the entire suspension, engine tires you name it.
its hard to believe that that one small ripped out rubber mount caused all this noise. crap I would have never conceived was coming from an engine mount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts