Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 68 dart gts 4 speed car. The motor a 349 was detonated a couple of years ago. What are my best choices to re power the car.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
@Pstevens -

You might have better luck over at the "For A Bodies Only" (www.forabodiesonly.com) forum ... which includes discussion of the "4th Generation" (1967-1976) Dodge Darts. This forum is all about the "5th Generation" (2013-2016) Dodge Darts.

That stated, your '68 Dodge Dart GTS came standard with a 340 ci (not 349 ci) V8 ... and most of the members of the "For A Bodies Only" forum are gonna recommend you just rebuild the 340 to keep it original.

What are your plans for your '68 Dart GTS? ... just get it running again? ... daily driver? ... show car? ... race car? ... 100pt restoration? ... ???

When you asked "What are my best choices to re power the car", I'm assuming you've already looked into what it CO$T$ to rebuild a '60s-'70s Mopar V8 ... and are considering putting a modern V8 in it ... ???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi I have a 68 dart gts 4 speed car. The motor a 349 was detonated a couple of years ago. What are my best choices to re power the car.
A '68 GTS is a fairly rare car. If the 340 was the original engine, I would recommend a rebuild if the block is salvageable. A sound stock '68 340 was no slouch, and there are a lot of upgrades available today. You can get some big power out of one with a stroker kit. As 57ChryslerDart recommended FABO is one of the best resources out there. Lots of info in the archives, and lots of builds, even late model HEMI swaps. Good luck with your rebuild.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It doesn't cost that much more while rebuilding a motor to stroke it. The 340 becomes 416 cubic inches. That makes big block torque with out the size and weight. It still looks stock but will be a whole lot more fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts