Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been recently looking at the dodge darts and I found a 13 Limited 1.4 turbo with 44,430 miles (71500 km.for us Canadians) for $8450 usd (11500 cad), looked to be in great condition I didn't take it for a proper test drive because of engine light being on and it felt like a misfire so I told them I'd come back once they have that looked at. The more I read it seems that I should stay away from the darts completely, I need it to last at least another 5 years and 60,000 miles (95000 km) I just want to get the consensus from people who actually own them with the 1.4 turbo.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Are you a gambling man? A 2013 1.4T with DDCT is a very high gamble. 2013's have the most issues out of any model year. The one you want already has a check engine light and according to you, a misfire.

44k is not a lease turn in, so probably somebody else had enough problems with it and dumped it as a trade in.

Any particular reason for wanting the 1.4T? The 2.4 is more reliable and the 2.0 is the most reliable out of all the engines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually was going to take a look at a 15 dart gt 2.4 with 37k miles for $10,700 usd. Just seems that's priced high

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
There's a reason the 2013's with DDCT are cheap. Almost any DDCT trans problems can be very expensive to fix. If you are mechanically inclined, like working on cars, and buying special tools, then buy it. You will also want to get the factory service manual since the DDCT is so different. If you get really good at it, you could give the dealers service depts in your area some competition.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My wife has a 13 Rallye 1.4 manual with 71k. I have an M13 edition with 81k 1.4 manual. No more problems than any other cars we have owned. Buying used, you luck depends a lot on how it was taken care of before you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do not purchase... I have one and it has been in the shop for almost 3 months. I had a bent valve from the timing belt go out & they are on national back order! I have had nothing but PROBLEM after PROBLEM with it! RUNNNNNNN!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
Do not purchase... I have one and it has been in the shop for almost 3 months. I had a bent valve from the timing belt go out & they are on national back order! I have had nothing but PROBLEM after PROBLEM with it! RUNNNNNNN!!!!!!
So you are blaming the car because you did not know that the 1.4 engine has a timing belt that should be replaced every 100k to 150k miles? Almost any 4 cylinder engine that has a timing belt is an interference engine meaning that the valves will get bent if the timing belt fails. If you got either of the other two engines available for the Dart, those engines have a timing chain.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
OK here we go....what's gone wrong in MY '13 Dart since I bought it just 3 years and 80,000 miles ago in general date order(used at 33k).......inhale......rear brake caliper & rotor (stuck brake cable), radiator (leaking), spark plug coils (failure), passenger side sunvisor (broke), [engine block, turbo, timing belt, clutch, valvetrain (valve blew out and destroyed engine)], transmission replaced (damaged syncros), and finally this week....stock radio (electrical failure). That's just the stuff that went wrong, not including maintenance parts and damaged parts. I'm certain I've forgotten some stuff likely due to blocked memories. So you ask WHY do I keep it? Well with a new block, timing belt, turbo, and newish transmission I feel that trading it in would be like giving away 100,000 miles to the next guy for nothing.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
All dual clutch trans I've ever read about seem to be problematic. The supercars aren't talked about much but they usually are an exclusive section of Hades not discussed much. From what I've read, FCA can't even get the Alpha 4C to present with trouble free reliability. So..... slushbox still wins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts