Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 17 daughter fell in love with this car and I bought it. It's been great. Until last Thursday when it quit shifting in a busy intersection and she had to push it. I drive it often and there has been no warning signs, sounds, or changes. So I thought at first bushings but they look ok(?) I can move it through all the gears under the hood and move the shifter to the appropriate places with no wiggle or play except some rotation. After I did that, it worked for a minute and quit shifting again. I can turn it off and put it in gear now and it makes a loud rattling noise when I crank it (in gear). I got it out of the highway and to a place I can work on it a little but I don't really know where to start. The clutch never felt spongy or loose. The shifter isn't loose, sloppy or off center. It just won't change gears and it seems engaged without pressing or releasing the clutch. Brake fluid in lower reservoir was low. Does need a front brake change. I am thinking about starting with that and flush and fill/bleed brake fluid tomorrow since the clutch shares the brake fluid but I don't want to mess it up worse if it's something serious with clutch/bearing etc. Don't want to pay a shop 700+ for a "big" issue if it's not and well it's always serious when 2 clueless females bring a car in (sorry all mechanics but I've been burned more than once). I'm not afraid to get under the hood but I can't really pull a transmission. Any direction or troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this has been covered already and I just missed it. Getting a little discouraged reading all the posts that maybe instead of a little peach of a car I bought her a lemon.

·
Premium Member
2013 Dart Limited 1.4T 6-Speed
311 Posts
It does sound like a hydraulic issue, except that typically the pedal will not return if you have a leaking master cylinder, slave cylinder, or line. Could be a failed pressure plate, but you would have to pull the transmission to get a good look at that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts