Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I started smelling a faint gas smell in the cabin. I thought it was other cars, but it's definitely coming from me. It's only there if I don't have recirculation on and I'm stationary.

I had found something about checking behind the engine somewhere, but lost the thread before I could check, and can't for the life of me find it again.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Definitely you want to find this leak. An engine bay fire would not be good. The intake manifold is on the back or firewall side of the engine. If you don't find anything there, the fuel pump is accessible by removing the rear seat cushion and access plate.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Last week I started smelling a faint gas smell in the cabin. I thought it was other cars, but it's definitely coming from me. It's only there if I don't have recirculation on and I'm stationary.

I had found something about checking behind the engine somewhere, but lost the thread before I could check, and can't for the life of me find it again.

Any ideas?
Check for any exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, this is hard to pin down. It's real faint. I can definitely smell it over on the passenger side of the engine towards the firewall. I didn't smell it at first idling for about 5m, so I drove 5 miles and it popped up.

Are these lines my suspects? (Passenger firewall)

How would I check for exhaust leaks? Might just take this into the shop. 😕

·
Registered
19 Posts
My fuel return line went bad around 60k. It was very easy to diagnose once I looked in the bay while the engine was running. There is some mesh loom around the lines in the back of the bay on the passenger side. Replacing it was also easy, you just need the tool which is pretty cheap on amazon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you diagnose it? It's hard to reach back there with the engine cover on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts