Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody encountered any issues with 2013 Darts that can be attributed to high mileage? I am trying to keep the car in good shape but the dealer has no experience with Darts with this many miles on them so all I have to go by is the maintenance schedules.

The car is a 1.4T 6sp and just turned over 100K. So far, knock on wood, I haven't paid for anything but a rear wheel bearing at 90K. I would like to share a few things that I have noticed in case you have a new Dart.

1. I travel between Ohio (real gas) and Virginia (ethanol only) and do see the expected drop in mileage on my trips back to Ohio when I have the ethanol in it. Going to Virginia I get about 38 MPG averaging 75 mph with 93 octane real gas. You can drop that 3 MPG with ethanol. Drop it another 4 MPG if you turn on the A/C (interestingly, opening the sun roof has the same effect). If I use 87 octane (real gas or ethanol) with the A/C on, I may as well get out and push it up the West Virginia Turnpike.
2. Using 87 octane real gas versus 93 in the winter does not seem to have much of an effect so I switch to 87 in the winter.
3. Being cheap and old school, I did not replace the spark plugs at the recommended 20K mark but at 50K I broke down and replaced them. The mechanic showed me that they had some heat related burn on them but otherwise were OK. At $30 apiece, it was worth the wait. Some people find plugs on the internet but if you compare them, they are not the same. I would rather use the right plug at a longer interval. At 90K, I replaced them myself and it took maybe 20 minutes - if you own a socket set do it yourself.
4. The hatred I have for the smoked headlight covers is deep - I can't see crap. I put in new higher power bulbs and they were some, but not much, help. Seriously, I clean the covers before every trip and that does help.
5. Funny thing about that many miles in two and half years, I still have the original brake pads! Does need rotors soon though - apparently high speed breaking does that!
6. Complaints are few - broken passenger visor, rear door has been repainted twice because it was out of alignment and kept chipping in the corner, and the biggest one.....my cruise control shuts down when it is hot. I get a couple hours on the highway and it will shut off. After I stop a few minutes, it will work again for awhile. There does seem to be some correlation between having the cruise turn off when I clutch to down shift up a mountain while the cruise is on and the weather is hot.

Anybody else have high mileage stories?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
@Beachbum2463 -

Welcome to the dodge-dart forum logo.png !!!

Congrats on the 100K mile mark on your 2013 Dodge Dart SXT (with RALLYE appearance package, 1.4L MultiAir Turbo, & C635 6-sp manual)! :D

When you get a chance, be sure to fill-out the rest of your user profile (i.e., your location, gender, and a short bio) ... and please "vote" in the following polls:

NOTE: If you haven't already done so, it's also a good idea to read the Guidelines of Conduct for Dodge-Dart.org

·
Super Moderator
4,816 Posts
Congradulations, i think you are the first reported 100K dart!!!!! Thanks for all the information too! most new people threads are shorter then a twitter post.
I believe one other user on here has it as well! But this is still awesome! The way I drive I will be there soon :shocked:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
3. ... I did not replace the spark plugs at the recommended 20K mark but at 50K I broke down and replaced them ...
FYI ... The "Maintenance Schedule" in the 2013 Dodge Dart Owner's Manual actually recommends that the 1.4T spark plugs (NGK #SIKR9A7 / MOPAR part #: SP070507AC) be changed every 30K miles (not 20K miles) ... but like you, I went a little longer ... first change at 41,931 miles ... second change at 77,910 miles.

5. Funny thing about that many miles in two and half years, I still have the original brake pads! Does need rotors soon though - apparently high speed breaking does that!...
I just had my front rotors (MOPAR part #: 68082120AA) & rear rotors (MOPAR part #: 68082121AA) replaced last week (at 77,910 miles) ... pads were still okay (10mm front, 12mm rear) ... but the front rotors were starting to warp and the rear rotors had quite a bit of lateral run-out.

6. Complaints are few - broken passenger visor ...

... my cruise control shuts down when it is hot. I get a couple hours on the highway and it will shut off. After I stop a few minutes, it will work again for awhile. There does seem to be some correlation between having the cruise turn off when I clutch to down shift up a mountain while the cruise is on and the weather is hot...
My passenger-side visor (MOPAR part #: 1TC60DX9AG - black) broke at 38900 miles (i.e., after the 3-Year/36,000-Mile (bumper-to-bumper) Basic Limited Warranty had expired) ... but my dealer replaced it for FREE under the "Good-Will" warranty :D.

I'm about 99.9% sure that your Cruise Control shutting off (and not being able to turn back on until restarting the car) issue is caused by the "Turbo Underboost condition".

I'm guessing it typically happens on a hot day (so you have the A/C on) ... and you have it in 5th or 6th gear (i.e., in overdrive so the RPMs are below 2500) ... and when you begin climbing a steep grade it feels a bit sluggish so you downshift into 4th ... but a pending P0299 code has already been tripped (i.e., turbo underboost condition was detected but not bad enough to throw an actual CEL/MIL) ... and the Cruise Control gets (temporarily) disabled ... ???

FCA / Dodge's answer to the P0299 issue is to replace the entire turbocharger for FREE (under the 5-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty) ... Unfortunately your Dart has already passed the 100K mark, so unless you have a Lifetime Maximum Care service contract or an extended Powertrain warranty, a turbo replacement would have to come out of your pocket.

NOTE: Before replacing the turbo ... I'd suggest trying the so-called "WasteGate Actuator Preload Adjustment" (documented HERE).

PS: With over 100K miles on your 2013 Dodge Dart (equipped with the FPT C635 6-speed Manual transmission), I'm a bit surprised that you have yet to experience the so-called "Clutch pedal does not return (remains on the floor) after depressing the pedal" issue (FCA STAR Case #: S1406000001) ... ???

Reactions: longtimemopar

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow that is a good bit of info there! Your diagnosis of the cruise control is spot on but the A/C doesn't need to be on. I use the "455" A/C when its below 80 degrees.

I forgot about the clutch pedal because it only did it about 3 times one week and only on the first start of the day (40 degrees). That was about two months ago and I reviewed it on this site. After the day warmed up, I had no problems and it hasn't been that cold since. I guess that is something that I can look forward too in the future.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm close to 80k. Car still runs like new. I'm replacing my rotors next week to drilled n slotted. Break pads are still meaty so I may save the pads that came with my new rotors. No major mechanical issues. I did have an ABS module replaced under extended warranty due to trying to clone my ECM. But as for simply high mileage my 2013 1.4t 6speed has been great other than the usual quirky things. Body is in great condition other than paint chip repair on rear left door due to drive by egging. A few small rock dings and chips.
Good to know that 100k isn't the end of anything for these cars.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Has anybody encountered any issues with 2013 Darts that can be attributed to high mileage? I am trying to keep the car in good shape but the dealer has no experience with Darts with this many miles on them so all I have to go by is the maintenance schedules.

The car is a 1.4T 6sp and just turned over 100K. So far, knock on wood, I haven't paid for anything but a rear wheel bearing at 90K. I would like to share a few things that I have noticed in case you have a new Dart.

1. I travel between Ohio (real gas) and Virginia (ethanol only) and do see the expected drop in mileage on my trips back to Ohio when I have the ethanol in it. Going to Virginia I get about 38 MPG averaging 75 mph with 93 octane real gas. You can drop that 3 MPG with ethanol. Drop it another 4 MPG if you turn on the A/C (interestingly, opening the sun roof has the same effect). If I use 87 octane (real gas or ethanol) with the A/C on, I may as well get out and push it up the West Virginia Turnpike.
2. Using 87 octane real gas versus 93 in the winter does not seem to have much of an effect so I switch to 87 in the winter.
3. Being cheap and old school, I did not replace the spark plugs at the recommended 20K mark but at 50K I broke down and replaced them. The mechanic showed me that they had some heat related burn on them but otherwise were OK. At $30 apiece, it was worth the wait. Some people find plugs on the internet but if you compare them, they are not the same. I would rather use the right plug at a longer interval. At 90K, I replaced them myself and it took maybe 20 minutes - if you own a socket set do it yourself.
4. The hatred I have for the smoked headlight covers is deep - I can't see crap. I put in new higher power bulbs and they were some, but not much, help. Seriously, I clean the covers before every trip and that does help.
5. Funny thing about that many miles in two and half years, I still have the original brake pads! Does need rotors soon though - apparently high speed breaking does that!
6. Complaints are few - broken passenger visor, rear door has been repainted twice because it was out of alignment and kept chipping in the corner, and the biggest one.....my cruise control shuts down when it is hot. I get a couple hours on the highway and it will shut off. After I stop a few minutes, it will work again for awhile. There does seem to be some correlation between having the cruise turn off when I clutch to down shift up a mountain while the cruise is on and the weather is hot.

Anybody else have high mileage stories?
Awesome post. 5 out of 5 stars. I don't know what percent of people that go to automotive sites just to complain is, but I bet it is very high. Your post was encouraging and informative.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It looks like this thread has been dormant for a while and is about time to be revisited. Don't you think?
I'm super pleased to see some 100k-ers out there going relatively trouble free.
I would like to hear more form the 100k-ers. The good, the bad and the ugly. Let it all out!

·
Registered
75 Posts
you know I just noticed that this thread was in the "Forum: New Member Introduction & Site Assistance" it seems to me that this is in the wrong place, maybe an Admin can move it to a more appropriate forum.

I apologize if I have overstepped in some way.

Ps- feel free to delete this post as it doesn't really pertain to the subject.

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
you know I just noticed that this thread was in the "Forum: New Member Introduction & Site Assistance" it seems to me that this is in the wrong place, maybe an Admin can move it to a more appropriate forum.

I apologize if I have overstepped in some way.

Ps- feel free to delete this post as it doesn't really pertain to the subject.
The reason for this specific thread being in the "intro section" is because this is/was the OP's introductory posts/thread. For the official 100k mile club thread we have that here: http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-general-discussion/26640-100-000-mile-club.html. That's the reasoning why one is here and that one is there.

You didn't overstep any boundaries and there is no harm or foul with keeping your post. All is well. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts