Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a summary thread to put some order in the wastegate adjustment thread. Tork Motorsports', who discovered this in during one of their numerous dyno runs when tuning and provided us with this info for the good of the community, original thread can be found here.

What is it:
The waste gate is the part that controls when boost is circulated through the system and when its supposed to dump into the exhaust (when you let off the throttle for instance).

The problem:
Most early modeled (up to the end of 2013 is kinda the cut off) 1.4l engines came from factory with 0-1.5mm of preload (the pressure that the wastegate has to overcome to dump the boost). This causes premature boost dumping, resulting in:
A. The P0299 UnderBoost Code
B. Horrific Turbo Surge
C. No power below Turbo
D. Subpar MPG
E. Bad Throttle responce (bad throttle manipulation, jumps from idle to like 1800rpm)

The fix:
Newer turbo'd darts come with Rev F of the turbo and have 8-9mm of preload on them from factory. It has been found that the problems above can be fixed simply by adjusting the preload on the wastegate to 4-6mm of preload (amount varies, starting with 4mm is common, especially among those without boost gauges, and jumping to 6mm after a couple miles). After the adjustment, the ECM takes around 75 miles to fully adjust. Before that point though, right off the bat you need to do around 10 WOT pulls (up into 3rd gear, so like 65mph) to do the initial adjustment. Don't be scared if you hear pinging (like a jackhammer firing in the air), just let off the throttle, give the engine a minute, and continue (if you continue to ping or have major issues, back the preload down an mm or 2). Adjustment is easy and takes as little as 15 minutes. Here is a video on how to do the adjustment-

My experience after adjustment:
I never had the P0299 code, but driving this car was a nightmare. Getting going meant slipping the clutch since throttle was so jumpy. Now I have great throttle manipulation, I no longer look like a metal head doing some sort of head banging when the turbo kicks in, I can actually move below turbo and in 6th gear on the highway, and my MPGs went up by 9 (use to get 30 at 65 and 27-29 at 70, now I get 39-42 and 34-36 respectively). The car now sounds better too, louder exhaust and you can hear the turbo blow off. Drives like its supposed to.

Warranty questions:
There is no way to prove that you adjusted the wastegate. They do not really have a preset from factory early on, so proving it should be a certain number is not possible. If you are really concerned, there is a small amount of marking tack used to check off that it was put on at factory, you can pick some up at any hardware store. Also just being gentle on the nuts to not show removal can help.

Troubleshooting:
If you still experience the P0299 code, you may have other issues to the car. Tork offers a pressure testing kit that charges your system with pressure to find any leaks. In addition, a trip to the dealer may be in order.

Warning- Attempt this at your own discretion, no problems have been reported, only people thankful for this fix and having a car they can actually enjoy driving so much more!

Proper Torq Specs for those interested:
Exhaust manifold shield-80 inch lbs
Cat converter heat shield -71 inch lbs
Turbo Charger support bracket--18 ft lbs
turbo charger upper heat shield--80 inch lbs
Accessory mounting bracket--- m10 bolts (37 ft lbs) M8 bolts (18 ft lbs)

·
Registered
9 Posts
New dart owner questions.

Okay so this might be a stupid question, but what does WOT mean? Also when I first bought my dart I purchased a CAI and adjusted my preload to 5mm from 1.5mm, after a week the uderboost code popped up, so I dropped it back down to 1.5 and cleared the code and it has not shown back up 2.5 weeks later. Should I try to bump it up to 4mm or leave it alone? I'm still very sluggish until around 3000 RPM, but this is also my first turbo'd car so I'm not sure whats normal as far as turbo lag goes.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Okay so this might be a stupid question, but what does WOT mean? Also when I first bought my dart I purchased a CAI and adjusted my preload to 5mm from 1.5mm, after a week the uderboost code popped up, so I dropped it back down to 1.5 and cleared the code and it has not shown back up 2.5 weeks later. Should I try to bump it up to 4mm or leave it alone? I'm still very sluggish until around 3000 RPM, but this is also my first turbo'd car so I'm not sure whats normal as far as turbo lag goes.

WOT = Wide Open Throttle

I'd leave the wastegate alone. You're always going to be sluggish until 3,000rpm because of the turbo lag. The turbo creates pressure of the air going into the engine, usually it'll top out at about 20-23psi. However like an air compressor, it takes time to create this pressure....which is called "turbo lag", and it usually takes a couple seconds to compress all the air in the intake tubes and intercooler (which is what you're waiting on while the rpms climb up to 3,000rpm). So the bigger the tubes and air intercooler, the longer it takes to make the pressure because there's more air to be compressed. So getting a bigger intercooler and pipes doesn't really help much in the Dart's application unfortunately.

The other big problem with the Dart is the learning computer. I'm going to guess that after you set the wastegate to 5mm the turbo was really nice for about an hour before the power started to go away right? That's the ecu adjusting things, and unless you have a tune anything you do to the engine like that will be nullified.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You are very correct, it felt great for about a day, throttle was stupid responsive and felt amazing and then it went back to normal, but then it started getting slower and thats when I checked the engine even though there wasn't a code it did have the pending underboost code which eventually turned into a code. Thanks for the input and the definition! quick question if you know it. I just bought the alphaobd and scanner and did a check on my radio and the code B11E8 popped up. My touch screen freezes up constantly and hardly works. I can't find a code on google explaining what it is, but I'm guessing my touchscreen is bad?

·
Administrator
6,116 Posts
28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Integrated Center Stack/Screen / Diagnosis and Testing

B11E8-2A-HVAC/AUDIO LOWER SWITCH BANK BUTTON(S) STUCK

•When Monitored:
With the ignition on.

•Set Condition:
The Integrated Center Stack (ICS) detects a closed switch for 120 seconds on the HVAC/Audio Switch Bank.

Possible Causes

HVAC/AUDIO SWITCH BANK

VERIFY OPERATION OF THE BUTTON

1. With the scan tool, erase ICS DTCs.

2. Press and release the button(s) and controls three times.

3. Wait 120 seconds.

4. With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Is DTC B11E8-2A-HVAC/ AUDIO LOWER SWITCH BANK BUTTON(S) STUCK active?

Yes

•Replace the HVAC / Audio Switch Bank in accordance with the Service Information.
•Perform the BODY VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Body Control (BCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Test complete, the condition or conditions that originally set this DTC are not present at this time. Using the wiring diagrams as a guide, check all related splices and connectors for signs of water intrusion, corrosion, pushed out or bent terminals and correct pin tension.
•Perform the BODY VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Body Control (BCM) - Standard Procedure).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.