Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Anyone else have to get their turbo replaced? My check engline light came one with a few codes regarding the turbo. Took it in (this was this past sept) the dealership said that they were remaking the original turbo and would be ready for november. So sure thing, November came around, they installed it and no issues to date. What seemed to kill the turbo was accelerating in low RPMs in 6th gear. Turbo would be dead until I restarted the car. Did it a few times on the highway, just a quick flick on the key. So I guess I was wondering if anyone else had their turbos replaced. If they were revamping the new one, I assume I wasnt the only one with turbo issues.

S

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
The turbo wasn't the culprit on these issues like some people make it out to be. Turbos just don't quit all of a sudden. They also just don't magically start working again once the car is turned back on. The entire turbo assembly gets replaced, and part of that assembly is the waste gate and the bypass valve, which either of those two items can cause the symptoms people were experiencing on the old turbo when they aren't functioning properly.

·
Registered
275 Posts
From reading some of the threads on this problem, it sounds to me like it was just the bypass valve acting up a bit. I can't make out why it would have been acting up, but it seems more a boost control problem rather than a turbo problem. The dealerships just replace the whole turbo though for some reason. Are the individual parts for the wastegate and bypass valves not available maybe? Or is it just bad diagnosis or laziness on the dealership's part? As Starscream mentioned, turbos don't just magically start working properly after shutting down and restarting the engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I have the exact issue with the turbo and it is not under warranty, so I have to pay $2500 (Canadian). I am hesitant to restart it, afraid that other issues will come up after. My question: how was your car so far after the turbo replacement?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts