Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the price of the Pennzoil Euro oil has gone up quite a bit in the last few months, has anyone found a place to get the oil for the 1.4L for less than Amazon?

Are there any new oil types that work for our car?

At $50 an oil change, I cringe every time I have to buy oil.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Personally, I like to stick with what the factory recommends, Pennzoil 5w-40 full synthetic. I try to watch the various automotive stores for special sales and search Amazon as well. No, it is not cheap, but I guess with the technology of today's engines and the milage and HP they are trying to squeeze out of them.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
I noticed the price of the Pennzoil Euro oil has gone up quite a bit in the last few months, has anyone found a place to get the oil for the 1.4L for less than Amazon?

Any current brand of 5W-40 synthetic should be fine as long as it's ILSAC GF-5 and API SN rated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I prefer to stick with the MS #### certified oil. Just sucks that the Pennzoil has gone up from about $40 a 6 pack to $56. I was hoping there was something less expense out by now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ya $56.00 for 6 quarts of the pennzoil i just ordered some and the only good part is that 2 cases gives you 3 oil changes. so far this is the only oil i found with the proper ms-xxxx rating so that's what i use. does anyone else think it smells more like solvent than oil?

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
I prefer to stick with the MS #### certified oil. Just sucks that the Pennzoil has gone up from about $40 a 6 pack to $56. I was hoping there was something less expense out by now.
Which MS-XXXXX spec, though? In different editions, the Dart's owner's manual has stated MS-10896, MS-12991 (which supersedes MS-10896), MS-10750, or no MS-XXXXX spec at all. There are only a handful of oils that meet MS-10896/MS-12991, and some aren't typically sold in North America (5W-40 is much more commonly used in Europe). I can tell you that Canadian dealers don't (or at least didn't back in late 2013 and early 2014) use MS-12991 certified 5W-40 oil, because Pennzoil Euro Ultra isn't distributed in Canada. The 2 times I had dealer oil changes, they used Mobil 1 5W-40, which was discontinued some time in 2014. Mobil 1 does not meet MS-10896/MS-12991, so the dealership is using oil other than is recommended by my owner's manual. I now do my own oil changes, using API-SN Castrol Syntec 5W-40, which frequently goes on sale for 40-60% off at Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
94 Posts
mobil one and castrol do not meet ms-12991,10850, and 10725 those are all the chrysler specs i could find. i believe the 1.4 falls under 10850 . rotella t-6 is good oil i use it in the outboards but it also does not meet the spec for our engines. the certification that chrysler uses takes into account shear breakdown and detergent level amongst 100 other parameters. i think the simple fact that the multi air system uses the oil like hydraulic fluid to actuate the valves is the reason for the spec on the oil. the heat resistance and the detergent will help in not forming sludge in these valves with very small passages. now i know that pennzoil platinum euro is expensive and a pia to find but warranty wise it is still the only oil that is acceptable for the 1.4 multiair. at least that is what i have found searching for 5w-40 synthetics.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Jiffy lube here in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan stocks the penzoil euro 5w40 oil that meets the 1.4 specs (Chrysler ) Todd. Other jiffy lubes may stock also. See about bringing a container in and buying the oil. To change oil yourself

·
Registered
5,313 Posts

$50 is better than the amount of damage a dealer or oil shop will do when they crush your rocker panels, and the best part of changing of your oil is that you get to take a peek under the car and do a quick lookover for potential issues coming down the pike.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
mobil one and castrol do not meet ms-12991,10850, and 10725 those are all the chrysler specs i could find. i believe the 1.4 falls under 10850 . rotella t-6 is good oil i use it in the outboards but it also does not meet the spec for our engines. the certification that chrysler uses takes into account shear breakdown and detergent level amongst 100 other parameters. i think the simple fact that the multi air system uses the oil like hydraulic fluid to actuate the valves is the reason for the spec on the oil. the heat resistance and the detergent will help in not forming sludge in these valves with very small passages. now i know that pennzoil platinum euro is expensive and a pia to find but warranty wise it is still the only oil that is acceptable for the 1.4 multiair. at least that is what i have found searching for 5w-40 synthetics.
I posted this is a different thread, but different versions of the Dart owner's manual list different oil specs for the 1.4T, and some don't mention the oil meeting any particular spec other than "API 5W-40". It is unlikely that any brand-name API-SN 5W-40, which pretty much all meet current VW/MB/BMW/Porsche specifications, would actually fail the Chrysler testing. It's far more likely that most oil manufacturers simply opted not to pay to have their 5W-40 recipe certified for those particular specs. Also, contrary to what your dealership and FCA might tell you, you are absolutely not required to use the oil specs that are recommended in the owner's manual in order to retain warranty coverage. The onus is on the manufacturer to prove that your choice of oil was the cause of a given failure. From what I've heard, car makers typically don't delve that deeply into the oil in a car when dealing with an engine failure, as long as oil starvation (which will leave tell-tale scoring on various parts due to lack of lubrication) doesn't seem to be the issue.

The other day when I was looking I did find a couple of other oils that met MS-12991 (which is what is listed in the 2013 rev.6 PDF owner's manual, though the paper manual I got with the car doesn't list a spec at all), but I think the only ones available through normal distribution channels in North America are the Pennzoil and Shell Helix Ultra. The others were European brands that I had never heard of, which isn't surprising, since 5W-40 is really a European oil weight. Dodge kind of dropped the ball by not finding a suitable alternative oil grade for North American 1.4T engines, though I suspect it's the turbocharging that is forcing the issue rather than the Multiair, since the 2.4L Multiair uses 0W-20 oil without issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Automotive Powertrain Mechanical Engineer here,
I spoke to a engine durability mechanic that works at the Chrysler Tech Center and he recommended that I use Rotella diesel oil (5w40). I mentioned my concern with the Multi-air brick and he told me that diesel oil has more detergents so it will only clean out the small passages in the multi-air brick more than lower detergent oil.
So I have been rocking $20 oil changes for years now (most of the time they have a $5 mail in rebate so its more like $15 oil change).
Also I run 87 octane not the "recommended" 91.
I drive 20,000 miles/year so I am a pretty good case study for this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is Castrol Edge full synthetic ok to use in the USA? Its alot cheaper than going to jiffy lube for pennzoil. I can't find any other type of oil where I live

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
As long as the oil weight is correct and you don't wait until the oil monitor says zero, I think you should not have a problem. However, I would never let any fast oil change place like jiffylube touch my cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jiffy lube here in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan stocks the penzoil euro 5w40 oil that meets the 1.4 specs (Chrysler ) Todd. Other jiffy lubes may stock also. See about bringing a container in and buying the oil. To change oil yourself
I have my oil change through jiffy lubes and they use 5w40 as stated on top of oil cap and listed on factory sticker affixed at inside door. Oil change is pricey yes but I can take it back into jiffy lubes as many times I want between oil change and they check the oil level and top off (FREE) as needed. They also show you the dip stick showing level is full and how much was added.
I just took it in 2 days ago to have stopped off. Myself, I think the cost of the oil change is worth it cause I dont have to run purchase a quart here and there from auto parts in between oil changes. Where I live a quart is $15. No thank you I will stick to the free unlimited top off

·
Registered
788 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
Been looking too, ended up buying a 6 pack box of the Pennzoil Euro from Amazon as usual. so like $62.00. I seen the "Amazon Basics" Euro they advertised but doesn't seem to have any type of specs from i could see on it. That goes for $30.00 for 6 qts.

Link for anyone interested
Many any reviews on there are very happy with it and say it's actually the Walmart Brand SuperTech or something like that rebranded. Many buyers said they have been using that brand for years anyways due to the availability and price and have compared it as on par with any other big name brands. Which I can believe. If you're changing your oil all the time, and keeping up with the maintenance of it every few k miles to change it, then this oil should perform just as well as the name brand, for a fraction of the cost. As stated above, those MS specifications have been all over the place, and I think at this point we are looking at the conclusion of - if it's the correct grade, you're all good.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Many any reviews on there are very happy with it and say it's actually the Walmart Brand SuperTech or something like that rebranded. Many buyers said they have been using that brand for years anyways due to the availability and price and have compared it as on par with any other big name brands. Which I can believe. If you're changing your oil all the time, and keeping up with the maintenance of it every few k miles to change it, then this oil should perform just as well as the name brand, for a fraction of the cost. As stated above, those MS specifications have been all over the place, and I think at this point we are looking at the conclusion of - if it's the correct grade, you're all good.
I think there are only a few 5W-40 oils available that have the Chrysler MS spec certification for the 1.4T, and maybe one other than the Pennzoil that is sold in North America. 5W-40 is a "Euro" oil grade, which was a really stupid choice by FCA. In any case, I just wait for the Pennzoil Platinum Euro Tears of a Dying Angel Under a Full Moon at Midnight (or whatever it's called) to be 40-50% of regular price at my local retailer and get it for like CAD $40-$45 for a 5L jug.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts