Just bought a 2016 SXT
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Just bought a 2016 SXT

This is a discussion on Just bought a 2016 SXT within the New Member Introduction forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; I'm wanting to replace the radio with a backup camera, XM and GPS system. Anyone have experience with this? Are there issues with any integrated ...

User Tag List

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Just bought a 2016 SXT

I'm wanting to replace the radio with a backup camera, XM and GPS system. Anyone have experience with this? Are there issues with any integrated controls/sensors info with the radio?

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      762 times
      Mentioned
      133 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Wiring is very different. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and be happy you have the plain trouble free radio. The touch screen is a can of worms.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Wife wants XM, and the one thing I don't like about it is that vision is so obscured in the back.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      762 times
      Mentioned
      133 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Neither of my Darts have the touch screen and after reading about so many members here and other FCA forums complain about U-Connect problems, I am very glad not to have to deal with it. One of my Darts had XM for one year and I let that run out, never found anything worth listening to. It's like satellite TV, way too many channels and nothing worth watching. There is a version of the base radio that can get XM but it also requires the special antenna and it isn't free. Even with the special offers, it is more than what I want to spend. I use a phone with google maps if I need GPS. The GPS on U-Connect is a pain to update and it isn't free. I really don't understand the fascination with touch screens in a car, it's just a distraction. Somehow cars didn't have or need them for a hundred years and all of the sudden, people got to have them. Same with back up cameras, what did people do before cars had them? They backed up carefully, used side and rear view mirrors and actually turned around to look. Do some searching before you buy anything. It's just not worth it.
      -Case

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 GT
      Mods
      20% Window Tint
      Liked
      17 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      The 8.4 inch Uconnect is great, mainly for the navigation, and reverse camera if you have those options built in. Yes, Google maps is always updated and a better option for navigating, but the screen isn't as big, and you need it mounted in the right place to see the map. Not sure if the 16' model year Dart with the 8.4 Uconnects had Android Auto capabilities, but AA makes navigation the best while using a phone on these systems. My other 2 vehicles have it, and I use it more than the built-in navigation in both of them.

The backup camera is a great addition to any vehicle, and is starting to become standard on many models. It's not so much of a needed option, but it enhances your view, and adds safety while backing up. I can't tell you how many times a big truck/van or SUV has parked next to me, and I couldn't see around it. The camera alleviates that issue, because mirrors alone aren't always the best option in every situation. I've got no experience in this, but the rear camera itself is going to be your biggest issue here. I do know that an OEM camera probably won't be able to be used because of how it's mounted to the trunk. A license plate camera is probably the best, and cheapest way even if an OEM camera is able to be mounted to the trunk. I don't know about the Dart forum, but if you search around in the Charger and Durango forums, they have some threads about how to get the 8.4 in and working with a camera. I do know the Uconnect unit is possible if you really want it in. The other platforms should be very similar if not the same as the Dart, in terms of the Uconnect installation.

I've also had Sirius XM in several vehicles, all Dodge, since 2008. It is convenient to have whatever your into available to listen to on a road trip, across the state, etc. However, as time went on, technology got better, as did bluetooth. Now with my new vehicles, I let the subscription run out. I stream Spotify, and for me it is better because I control whether or not I want to continue to listen to the current media or not. I can skip to the next song, repeat it, or never listen to it again. Satellite radio is nice, but it's not always nice to listen to the same stuff on a channel day after day. If you listen long enough, they repeat songs as much if not more than local radio DJ's do.

And like AlpineGreenNeon pointed out, you get A LOT of useless channels. While my year trial is active on a new vehicle, I find on their extensive lineup, I listen to 1 or 2 channels on a regular basis. When the trial is up, I just use Spotify and I don't miss Sirius XM at all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by JFire72; 05-30-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      762 times
      Mentioned
      133 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      The 8.4 on Darts is different from all the 8.4 U-connects on other FCA vehicles. The Dart has a Telematics gateway module that is the brains for the touchscreen under the glove box with a ribbon connector with 40 all black wires. That is not on the base radio. Then there is the anti theft code that many have a problem with getting the code. You would almost want to get a wrecked Dart from CoPart so you could do the swap. Then you never know if the one you get will be functional. You will need alfaOBD to do the PROXI. If you really want those options, you should have searched harder to get the Dart that had those options.
      -Case

Sponsored Links