Hello All
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Hello All

This is a discussion on Hello All within the New Member Introduction forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; Just purchased a 2015 2.4 SXT Dart automatic with 75k miles. This is my first venture away from GM or Euro models, and my previous ...

User Tag List

Thread: Hello All

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Hello All

Just purchased a 2015 2.4 SXT Dart automatic with 75k miles. This is my first venture away from GM or Euro models, and my previous ride was a 2001 Olds Alero SLT V6. So I'm going from a comfy cruiser to a much firmer ride with a more responsive powerband and 6 speed transmission. The Dart is a blast out on country roads with great handling and the manual shift option, but a bit of a handful around town with the jumpy engine and low first gear.

I'm hoping to get some assistance with a couple of problems that showed up within a week after purchase. The used car dealer is trying to resolve these faults at his preferred shop (next door) and providing a loaner car as well - very cool. If anyone here at the forum has experienced these particular faults, please advise as I am concerned that his guys might head off in the wrong direction again - maybe pull the steering wheel, etc when it's not necessary. Thank you!!

*Check engine light comes on - stays on - after engine start, and code reader reports 3 codes having to do with "steering angle sensor conflict" or something to that effect.

*Cruise control shuts off at around 62 mph and will not come back on at this speed or higher, but otherwise works fine at lower speeds.

Last week his shop addressed the steering angle sensor conflict code problem and ended up installing a new computer along with the latest download, etc. (Not sure as to whether they tried a reset/calibration on the steering angle sensor first). This corrective action only held up for one day, as the check engine light came back on the next morning when I drove to work. I'm turning the car back in to his shop this week and just hoping they can get a proper diagnosis/correction on the engine light and also figure out the situation with the cruise control.

I'm looking forward to getting everything resolved with my new ride and hope to have some good years ahead as a Dodge owner. Thanks for having me at the forum!

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      734 times
      Mentioned
      130 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Get the code numbers. I can post possible fixes. It's almost never the computer, not sure why mechanics jump to that conclusion. A real mechanic will diagnose a problem before changing parts.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Thank you, it's a single code: U0428, "Invalid data received from steering angle sensor module".

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      734 times
      Mentioned
      130 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      The following diagnostic tree below is from the FSM. Notice The PCM is the least likely and last possibility. Network codes (U prefix) are almost always wiring problems. With the STAR connector system, diagnosis isn't difficult. A real mechanic will understand it, there is a video in the digital FSM. The actual steering angle sensor is in the steering rack and is not a separate part, meaning the whole rack would need replacement if it is the culprit. The steering column control module is part of the Multifunction Switch/Clockspring assembly behind the steering wheel. Except for a wiring problem, all expensive parts, so throwing parts at it is foolish. Diagnosis is key.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM), 2.4L / Diagnosis and Testing

U0428-IMPLAUSIBLE DATA RECEIVED FROM STEERING ANGLE SENSOR MODULE

NOTE: Treat this DTC as an IMPLAUSIBLE SIGNAL DTC when performing the COMMUNICATION PRE-DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE.

Perform the COMMUNICATION PRE-DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Body Control (BCM) /Standard Procedure).

•When Monitored:
      Continuously while the system is active.

•Set Condition:
      An error message has been received over the CAN C bus from the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS).

Possible Causes

CAN BUS OPEN OR SHORTED CONDITION
      STEERING ANGLE SENSOR (SAS) / STEERING COLUMN CONTROL MODULE (SCCM)
      POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
      -Case

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Well, I really appreciate the detailed explanation and in fact I am trying to decipher what it all means. The car is back in the shop, so tomorrow afternoon I'll find out where they ended up on this thing. Out of respect for their efforts I probably won't be discussing this info with them unless they come to a dead end. And if/when the problem is resolved I will post the result here.

Thank you for your generous assistance!

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      734 times
      Mentioned
      130 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Hopefully, you're not paying for this. Ask what diagnostic steps told them to replace a perfectly good PCM? Did they bother to check both the steering wheel module or the steering rack steering angle sensor and the wiring?
      -Case

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Yes, the dealer is handling all costs and had a fresh little Kia ready as a loaner when I showed up yesterday. He has some connection to the service shop next door that's working on the Dart, and I am hesitant to begin questioning their abilities until they have a second try at a repair. I do know that they ran thru a troubleshooting procedure and performed a reset on the steering angle sensor before replacing the computer.

Today they will try again on the steering sensor issue (they now suspect a wiring fault/short) and also try to figure out the problem with the cruise control shutting off between 60-65 mph.

Sponsored Links