100,000 miles and still going
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on 100,000 miles and still going within the New Member Introduction forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; Has anybody encountered any issues with 2013 Darts that can be attributed to high mileage? I am trying to keep the car in good shape ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 100,000 miles and still going

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Rallye 1.4 Turbo 6-Speed
      Liked
      9 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Has anybody encountered any issues with 2013 Darts that can be attributed to high mileage? I am trying to keep the car in good shape but the dealer has no experience with Darts with this many miles on them so all I have to go by is the maintenance schedules.

The car is a 1.4T 6sp and just turned over 100K. So far, knock on wood, I haven't paid for anything but a rear wheel bearing at 90K. I would like to share a few things that I have noticed in case you have a new Dart.

1. I travel between Ohio (real gas) and Virginia (ethanol only) and do see the expected drop in mileage on my trips back to Ohio when I have the ethanol in it. Going to Virginia I get about 38 MPG averaging 75 mph with 93 octane real gas. You can drop that 3 MPG with ethanol. Drop it another 4 MPG if you turn on the A/C (interestingly, opening the sun roof has the same effect). If I use 87 octane (real gas or ethanol) with the A/C on, I may as well get out and push it up the West Virginia Turnpike.
      2. Using 87 octane real gas versus 93 in the winter does not seem to have much of an effect so I switch to 87 in the winter.
      3. Being cheap and old school, I did not replace the spark plugs at the recommended 20K mark but at 50K I broke down and replaced them. The mechanic showed me that they had some heat related burn on them but otherwise were OK. At $30 apiece, it was worth the wait. Some people find plugs on the internet but if you compare them, they are not the same. I would rather use the right plug at a longer interval. At 90K, I replaced them myself and it took maybe 20 minutes - if you own a socket set do it yourself.
      4. The hatred I have for the smoked headlight covers is deep - I can't see crap. I put in new higher power bulbs and they were some, but not much, help. Seriously, I clean the covers before every trip and that does help.
      5. Funny thing about that many miles in two and half years, I still have the original brake pads! Does need rotors soon though - apparently high speed breaking does that!
      6. Complaints are few - broken passenger visor, rear door has been repainted twice because it was out of alignment and kept chipping in the corner, and the biggest one.....my cruise control shuts down when it is hot. I get a couple hours on the highway and it will shut off. After I stop a few minutes, it will work again for awhile. There does seem to be some correlation between having the cruise turn off when I clutch to down shift up a mountain while the cruise is on and the weather is hot.

Anybody else have high mileage stories?

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is Looking for 7th gear

Vehicle
      2014 Dart SE Blue Streak 6 speed
      Mods
      CAI, STS, Rear trans mount, CU plugs, RRM pulley,
      Liked
      2405 times
      Mentioned
      497 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Congradulations, i think you are the first reported 100K dart!!!!! Thanks for all the information too! most new people threads are shorter then a twitter post.

'BlueStreak'
      2014 Dodge Dart SE manual Blue Streak

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is Glorious

Vehicle
      Citrus Peel Pearlcoat Rallye w/ 2.0L Powertech
      Mods
      Too many for this box. Visit the build thread, click the link in signature...
      Liked
      4296 times
      Mentioned
      672 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      @Beachbum2463 GREAT INFORMATION!!! Thank you so much for providing this information to our community...
      YoungSmith53 / Aya Build Thread
      To make the .org enjoyable, follow the .org guidelines, use the new and improved reputation system (star button at bottom left of post) & the new and improved .org search.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Car Chief
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      '13 Dart LIMITED (1.4L MultiAir Turbo with 6-speed manual)
      Liked
      2016 times
      Mentioned
      224 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @Beachbum2463 -

Welcome to the Name:  dodge-dart forum logo.png
Views: 310
Size:  7.2 KB!!!

Congrats on the 100K mile mark on your 2013 Dodge Dart SXT (with RALLYE appearance package, 1.4L MultiAir Turbo, & C635 6-sp manual)!

When you get a chance, be sure to fill-out the rest of your user profile (i.e., your location, gender, and a short bio) ... and please "vote" in the following polls:

NOTE: If you haven't already done so, it's also a good idea to read the Guidelines of Conduct for Dodge-Dart.org
      57ChryslerDart

2013 DODGE DART LIMITED

• Bright Silver Metallic
      • Black Nappa Leather seats
      • 1.4L I-4 16V MultiAir® Intercooled Turbo engine
      • 6-speed C635 Manual Transmission
      • 17" x 7½" Aluminum Polished Wheels
      • Power Express Open / Close Sunroof
      • Premium Group
      • Uconnect® 8.4N AM/FM/NAV with SiriusXM
      • HID Headlamps
      • LED 'Racetrack' Taillamps
      • Visual Garage Shark Fin antenna

Ordered: 21-JUL-2012
      Took Delivery: 24-AUG-2012

Currently over 192,250 miles on the odometer!

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

is v^

Vehicle
      '14 Dodge Dart Rallye
      Mods
      30/5% Tint, Mopar Remote Start, K&N drop-in, TRS 5500k HIDs, LED fog light bulbs
      Liked
      515 times
      Mentioned
      136 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      congrats on 100k
      the cruise is supposed to shut off when the clutch is pressed, so maybe there isnt an issue there
      tweav88 and longtimemopar like this.
      '17 Chrysler 300 S AWD
      '93 Chevy K1500
      Visit the Dart Bible and then Find out how unique your Dart is, and then play The Dart Photo Game!

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      9 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I should have been more specific - the dash light goes out and pressing the button does not turn it back on to reset it

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is waiting for VTEC to kick
      in...yo

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT Fully Loaded 6MT
      Mods
      RRM LW pulley, EC CAI, HID/LED swap, Redlinegoods shiftboot, Rally Armors, Heartthrob exhaust
      Liked
      1950 times
      Mentioned
      288 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
      Congradulations, i think you are the first reported 100K dart!!!!! Thanks for all the information too! most new people threads are shorter then a twitter post.
      I believe one other user on here has it as well! But this is still awesome! The way I drive I will be there soon
      longtimemopar likes this.
      Looking for HIDs? Xenon-Vision install click HERE

Car Chief
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      '13 Dart LIMITED (1.4L MultiAir Turbo with 6-speed manual)
      Liked
      2016 times
      Mentioned
      224 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Beachbum2463 View Post
      3. ... I did not replace the spark plugs at the recommended 20K mark but at 50K I broke down and replaced them ...
      FYI ... The "Maintenance Schedule" in the 2013 Dodge Dart Owner's Manual actually recommends that the 1.4T spark plugs (NGK #SIKR9A7 / MOPAR part #: SP070507AC) be changed every 30K miles (not 20K miles) ... but like you, I went a little longer ... first change at 41,931 miles ... second change at 77,910 miles.

5. Funny thing about that many miles in two and half years, I still have the original brake pads! Does need rotors soon though - apparently high speed breaking does that!...
      I just had my front rotors (MOPAR part #: 68082120AA) & rear rotors (MOPAR part #: 68082121AA) replaced last week (at 77,910 miles) ... pads were still okay (10mm front, 12mm rear) ... but the front rotors were starting to warp and the rear rotors had quite a bit of lateral run-out.

6. Complaints are few - broken passenger visor ...

... my cruise control shuts down when it is hot. I get a couple hours on the highway and it will shut off. After I stop a few minutes, it will work again for awhile. There does seem to be some correlation between having the cruise turn off when I clutch to down shift up a mountain while the cruise is on and the weather is hot...
      My passenger-side visor (MOPAR part #: 1TC60DX9AG - black) broke at 38900 miles (i.e., after the 3-Year/36,000-Mile (bumper-to-bumper) Basic Limited Warranty had expired) ... but my dealer replaced it for FREE under the "Good-Will" warranty .

I'm about 99.9% sure that your Cruise Control shutting off (and not being able to turn back on until restarting the car) issue is caused by the "Turbo Underboost condition".

I'm guessing it typically happens on a hot day (so you have the A/C on) ... and you have it in 5th or 6th gear (i.e., in overdrive so the RPMs are below 2500) ... and when you begin climbing a steep grade it feels a bit sluggish so you downshift into 4th ... but a pending P0299 code has already been tripped (i.e., turbo underboost condition was detected but not bad enough to throw an actual CEL/MIL) ... and the Cruise Control gets (temporarily) disabled ... ???

FCA / Dodge's answer to the P0299 issue is to replace the entire turbocharger for FREE (under the 5-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty) ... Unfortunately your Dart has already passed the 100K mark, so unless you have a Lifetime Maximum Care service contract or an extended Powertrain warranty, a turbo replacement would have to come out of your pocket.

NOTE: Before replacing the turbo ... I'd suggest trying the so-called "WasteGate Actuator Preload Adjustment" (documented HERE).

PS: With over 100K miles on your 2013 Dodge Dart (equipped with the FPT C635 6-speed Manual transmission), I'm a bit surprised that you have yet to experience the so-called "Clutch pedal does not return (remains on the floor) after depressing the pedal" issue (FCA STAR Case #: S1406000001) ... ???
      Last edited by 57ChryslerDart; 07-01-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: eye kant spel
      longtimemopar likes this.
      57ChryslerDart

2013 DODGE DART LIMITED

• Bright Silver Metallic
      • Black Nappa Leather seats
      • 1.4L I-4 16V MultiAir® Intercooled Turbo engine
      • 6-speed C635 Manual Transmission
      • 17" x 7½" Aluminum Polished Wheels
      • Power Express Open / Close Sunroof
      • Premium Group
      • Uconnect® 8.4N AM/FM/NAV with SiriusXM
      • HID Headlamps
      • LED 'Racetrack' Taillamps
      • Visual Garage Shark Fin antenna

Ordered: 21-JUL-2012
      Took Delivery: 24-AUG-2012

Currently over 192,250 miles on the odometer!

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      9 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Wow that is a good bit of info there! Your diagnosis of the cruise control is spot on but the A/C doesn't need to be on. I use the "455" A/C when its below 80 degrees.

I forgot about the clutch pedal because it only did it about 3 times one week and only on the first start of the day (40 degrees). That was about two months ago and I reviewed it on this site. After the day warmed up, I had no problems and it hasn't been that cold since. I guess that is something that I can look forward too in the future.
      57ChryslerDart likes this.

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

is v^

Vehicle
      '14 Dodge Dart Rallye
      Mods
      30/5% Tint, Mopar Remote Start, K&N drop-in, TRS 5500k HIDs, LED fog light bulbs
      Liked
      515 times
      Mentioned
      136 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      if you have it in good with your dealership, they could goodwill a turbo for you if you have that underboost code
      '17 Chrysler 300 S AWD
      '93 Chevy K1500
      Visit the Dart Bible and then Find out how unique your Dart is, and then play The Dart Photo Game!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links