New Car Choices
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

New Car Choices

This is a discussion on New Car Choices within the General Automotive Discussion forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; As I continue with my "hobby" of researching cars I can't afford to buy, I am seeing a fast paced trend of everything that gives ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Like Tree143Likes

Thread: New Car Choices

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Voting in 2020. Because
      Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob and Weathertech mats!
      Liked
      2679 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

New Car Choices

As I continue with my "hobby" of researching cars I can't afford to buy, I am seeing a fast paced trend of everything that gives me the creeps ever expanding into the market.
      V8's exist but are tortured with Displacement On Demand when no one wants that. (except maybe trucks - that doesn't count in my research.)
      V6's are hard to find but when they pop up, they too have DOD. Wow.
      4 cyls have pretty much taken over - even on luxury cars - with 2.0T's. Fairly large cars getting these little guys.
      I won't even mention the final blow to all cars ...... start / stop.
      Then, when I think of a lower priced "fun" little car that is written about almost in a religious tone, like a Miata, I find out that they are noisy as sin and drivers find it hard to tolerate a long highway ride due to noise levels. So, it's the same in reverse: Cost,Mileage, Performance, Comfort. You can not have it all in most cases. And when you do find it all, there's guaranteed to be something you dislike.
      Some of the tv commercials are the best part of some cars. Like the Volvo S90. It's like "Even the fox along the road is impressed". But, it sums up the fantasy mindset I try to have on those early AM drives.

The East and the West are mine. The North and the South.... ugh..... beautifully done.

Re post of commercial.... why would it become null ?

<span style="color:#ff0000;">
      Last edited by dad's dart; 01-20-2019 at 08:43 AM.
      Dartanyion likes this.
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart Rallye 2.4L Blacktop Edition
      Mods
      35% window tint all around Blacked out reverse lights and reflectors Custom designed Tigershark badg
      Liked
      253 times
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I find that I am pretty much disliking every new car made. I know they are more comfortable, better equipped, more powerful, get better MPG, ect., ect., than ever before...but for me there is a disconnect from "the feel" of driving. It takes away the joy of it, IMO. I love the quite comfort of my Dart, especially sitting in ATL traffic or a medium road trip...but get me out on the open road I'd rather be in my Neon, or even the Mrs 2001 Durango on a long road trip. Even though 30+MPG >15+MPG...it's not quite as satisfying when you are rolling down the highway, and not hearing the grumble of the engine/exhaust and the sounds of the tires rolling down the road.
      JonsGT likes this.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2016 Dodge Dart GT
      Mods
      Mopar automatic pedal kit, Mopar slush mats, Mopar trunk mat, tinted windows, Mopar license plate f
      Liked
      42 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      [QUOTE=loxmith;611617]I find that I am pretty much disliking every new car made. I know they are more comfortable, better equipped, more powerful, get better MPG, ect., ect., than ever before...but for me there is a disconnect from "the feel" of driving. It takes away the joy of it, IMO. I love the quite comfort of my Dart, especially sitting in ATL traffic or a medium road trip...but get me out on the open road I'd rather be in my Neon, or even the Mrs 2001 Durango on a long road trip. Even though 30+MPG >15+MPG...it's not quite as satisfying when you are rolling down the highway, and not hearing the grumble of the engine/exhaust and the sounds of the tires rolling down the road.[/QUOTE

Don't forget the dreaded CVT! I had a hard time finding a smallish inexpensive car without one! Dart!

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3879 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by loxmith View Post
      I find that I am pretty much disliking every new car made. I know they are more comfortable, better equipped, more powerful, get better MPG, ect., ect., than ever before...but for me there is a disconnect from "the feel" of driving. It takes away the joy of it, IMO. I love the quite comfort of my Dart, especially sitting in ATL traffic or a medium road trip...but get me out on the open road I'd rather be in my Neon, or even the Mrs 2001 Durango on a long road trip. Even though 30+MPG >15+MPG...it's not quite as satisfying when you are rolling down the highway, and not hearing the grumble of the engine/exhaust and the sounds of the tires rolling down the road.
      A long road trip... in a Neon? Eh, I'll take my bicycle, thanks. I can drive my Dart for 10+ hours and not feel tired or stiff, and that makes it unique in all the cars I've ever encountered. And the muted howl of the 1.4T/DDCT drivetrain at almost 3000rpm, the thrumming of the tires at 70mph, the sheer connectedness I have with the road... well, it can make me smile when nothing else will. The Dart was somewhat unique in having quirky character in a class of car mostly known for bland homogeneity. It also has styling that should age well, unlike many of its competitors. I'm curious what a "refreshed" Dart would have looked like, because there really isn't a lot, style-wise, that could be improved much, at least in my opinion. But what's done is done, and we'll never know that now. Unless something changes, it's likely that I'm done with FCA for now, at least for my own vehicular wants and needs. I have nothing against them, and own two Dodge vehicles that have been very good to me, but they don't really sell anything that appeals to me, and if I had to get a new car now my first choice would be to convince my wife that I can afford a Focus RS, and when that invariably failed, seriously consider the Focus ST or the 2.3T Mustang. Sure, it's possible I end up not loving any of those cars, but they at least interest me enough to get me in the dealership, and car dealerships still need us to go to them.

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      774 times
      Mentioned
      135 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I'm more in agreement with @loxmith . I could drive my '95 Neon for 18 hours and never turn the radio on, just listen to the music of the engine. It's hard to put into words but when one has had a car completely apart, and knows every detail, it becomes a part of you. I want to keep that Neon forever so it rests in the garage all winter and hardly ever goes out in the rain. The '98 Neon may not last as long, it's seen too much road salt and no longer has a garage space. I'm all Mopar so I'm giving the Darts a chance. So far I'm not disappointed. The Darts are what my wife wanted for the long trips to see our children and grandchildren. The more I learn about them, the more I like them. At age 69, I don't think I'll ever be driving something that isn't Mopar.
      Last edited by alpinegreenneon; 03-17-2017 at 10:14 AM.
      longtimemopar likes this.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      35% window tint all around Blacked out reverse lights and reflectors Custom designed Tigershark badg
      Liked
      253 times
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      A long road trip... in a Neon? Eh, I'll take my bicycle, thanks. I can drive my Dart for 10+ hours and not feel tired or stiff, and that makes it unique in all the cars I've ever encountered. And the muted howl of the 1.4T/DDCT drivetrain at almost 3000rpm, the thrumming of the tires at 70mph, the sheer connectedness I have with the road... well, it can make me smile when nothing else will. The Dart was somewhat unique in having quirky character in a class of car mostly known for bland homogeneity. It also has styling that should age well, unlike many of its competitors. I'm curious what a "refreshed" Dart would have looked like, because there really isn't a lot, style-wise, that could be improved much, at least in my opinion. But what's done is done, and we'll never know that now. Unless something changes, it's likely that I'm done with FCA for now, at least for my own vehicular wants and needs. I have nothing against them, and own two Dodge vehicles that have been very good to me, but they don't really sell anything that appeals to me, and if I had to get a new car now my first choice would be to convince my wife that I can afford a Focus RS, and when that invariably failed, seriously consider the Focus ST or the 2.3T Mustang. Sure, it's possible I end up not loving any of those cars, but they at least interest me enough to get me in the dealership, and car dealerships still need us to go to them.
      So if I am honest, as it sits right now, my Neon would be my last choice for roadtrips. My son had it for 6 month, and he took out the SRS seats and put in those :censored: awful Viper inspired seats. Right now, it's not a big deal for me but if I ever have to go back to daily driving my Neon, or take it for a long roadtrip, the air bag seats are going back in. Still even with those :censored: Viper seats, if I were taking a small day trip just for the fun of driving I would pic my Neon over my Dart. My wife doesn't really agree with me on that though. LoL! She likes the open road, but she doesn't appreciate the visceral experience as much as I do. I think her first choice would be the Dart, or the Durango if she is dragging the kids with us.
      jsblanch likes this.

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Voting in 2020. Because
      Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob and Weathertech mats!
      Liked
      2679 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by loxmith View Post
      So if I am honest, as it sits right now, my Neon would be my last choice for roadtrips. My son had it for 6 month, and he took out the SRS seats and put in those :censored: awful Viper inspired seats. Right now, it's not a big deal for me but if I ever have to go back to daily driving my Neon, or take it for a long roadtrip, the air bag seats are going back in. Still even with those :censored: Viper seats, if I were taking a small day trip just for the fun of driving I would pic my Neon over my Dart. My wife doesn't really agree with me on that though. LoL! She likes the open road, but she doesn't appreciate the visceral experience as much as I do. I think her first choice would be the Dart, or the Durango if she is dragging the kids with us.
      Interesting. And makes a good point. Assuming you're going to make the odd "longer road trip", many of the smaller sporty marketed cars lose their luster. You need a certain amount of mass , weight, and seats that aren't made for hard track duty. Even drivers that aren't too large or fat like me find some of these Recaro torture bolsters a bit much. Some of the high end makes are trying their hardest to make the great compromise between comfort and performance but they never end up looking all that sporty. Take BMW for example. Even their sportiest models look like pedestrian Hondas. The day someone builds a Corvette looking Godzilla as a Grand Tourer is the day I'll hand out awards.
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      253 times
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by dad's dart View Post
      Interesting. And makes a good point. Assuming you're going to make the odd "longer road trip", many of the smaller sporty marketed cars lose their luster. You need a certain amount of mass , weight, and seats that aren't made for hard track duty. Even drivers that aren't too large or fat like me find some of these Recaro torture bolsters a bit much. Some of the high end makes are trying their hardest to make the great compromise between comfort and performance but they never end up looking all that sporty. Take BMW for example. Even their sportiest models look like pedestrian Hondas. The day someone builds a Corvette looking Godzilla as a Grand Tourer is the day I'll hand out awards.
      I have taken my Neon out for a few track days and done some autocrossing with it, and yeah, I would have loved to have had the Viper Seats then! But as far as daily driving, I am 6'3" 275 lbs...those seats just weren't designed for the likes of me. LoL!
      dad's dart and McLabia like this.

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

is "Love my BODACIOUS
      GT!"

Vehicle
      2016 Dart GT
      Liked
      270 times
      Mentioned
      31 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I find the majority of new cars uninspiring. If i had to buy new now i'd want a WRX sti first, Focus RS 2nd...they fit in garage. BUT, i really want a electric blue Charger scatback or similar
      2016 Dodge Dart GT
      TorRed
      Black Napa Leather
      2.4 Tigershark
      8.4" NAV touch screen with GPS & Sirius
      Sun & Sound with Alpine system with subwoofer
      Technology Group; rear camera, blind side monitor etc
      Functional Sport Hood
      MOPAR Dual Exhaust Exterior Package
      6-Speed Powertech Auto
      Remote Starter, Hands-Free Entry
      Heated Steering Wheel, Seats and Mirrors

Upgrades:
      MOPAR Cold Air Intake with RAM-Air Induction
      MPx PVO Style Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler
      Power Stop K6373 Front & Rear Drilled/Slotted Rotors
      Z23 Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads
      WeatherTech Floor liners
      RokBlokz Mud Flaps
      Visual Garage Sharkfin antenna
      Factory spare tire
      Tint - 35% front & rear, 20% back

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2016 Dodge Dart GT
      Mods
      Mopar automatic pedal kit, Mopar slush mats, Mopar trunk mat, tinted windows, Mopar license plate f
      Liked
      42 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by JonsGT View Post
      I find the majority of new cars uninspiring. If i had to buy new now i'd want a WRX sti first, Focus RS 2nd...they fit in garage. BUT, i really want a electric blue Charger scatback or similar
      Are you talking about the B5 Scatpack? That is what i am looking at or maybe another white car? Not sure just yet? That blue is awesome!
      JonsGT likes this.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links