New Car Choices - Page 19
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

New Car Choices

This is a discussion on New Car Choices within the General Automotive Discussion forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; Another reason I don't trust electronics to 'drive me' Another Tesla driver claims the model S accelerated out of control without pressing the acceleration pedal: ...

User Tag List

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Like Tree140Likes

Thread: New Car Choices

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT Manual Blue Streak Pearl Coat
      Mods
      See signature
      Liked
      160 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Another reason I don't trust electronics to 'drive me'

Another Tesla driver claims the model S accelerated out of control without pressing the acceleration pedal:
      https://electrek.co/2019/03/10/tesla...celerated/amp/

Claims are made that the logs clearly show people pressing the wrong pedal but we all know things can happen and when you have millions of packets flying around in a miniature network inside a car there can be weird things that just happen. As a person who has been a self driven computer programmer here and there throughout my life, I can honestly say you never know.. as a network, I have personally seen $200,000+ network switches do all kinds of wacky things and logs won't show anything out of the ordinary. Give me drive by cable any day.
      Last edited by Dartanyion; 03-10-2019 at 05:23 PM.
      Mods:
      NGK LZTR4A-11 5306 copper spark plugs gapped to .048
      MOPAR Cold Air Intake
      MOPAR Shift knob
      Deyeme ice blue CDV delete
      Deyeme Short shift arm
      Deyeme ice blue shift rod
      Deyeme ice blue Firm Rear Trans Mount
      Kenda Kaiser KR-20s (Front)
      Metal blue valve stem caps
      Chrome door handle covers

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3862 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Dartanyion View Post

Another Tesla driver claims the model S accelerated out of control without pressing the acceleration pedal:

Claims are made that the logs clearly show people pressing the wrong pedal but we all know things can happen and when you have millions of packets flying around in a miniature network inside a car there can be weird things that just happen. As a person who has been a self driven computer programmer here and there throughout my life, I can honestly say you never know.. as a network, I have personally seen $200,000+ network switches do all kinds of wacky things and logs won't show anything out of the ordinary. Give me drive by cable any day.
      My Dart very occasionally has "uncommanded acceleration". I take my foot off the throttle, but the RPMs just keep going up at a moderate rate. It's done this maybe a dozen times in the time I've owned it (it will be 6 years in May). Braking will stop it after a couple of seconds. The first time it happened, I bumped it into neutral, and that also stopped it after a few seconds. One time it happened and I happened to be going in a straight line with no other traffic, so I just let it go. As far as I could tell, it was going to accelerate at a moderate rate until it hit a drag limit. Should I report this? *shrug* I have no intention of letting some government agency that probably can't tell a PCM from a sundial touch my Dart, so it's never going to happen.

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Voting in 2020. Because
      Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob and Weathertech mats!
      Liked
      2675 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      This seems less a problem related to the quality of the vehicles affected, and more about the flat-rate model of paying for warranty repairs. Several techs in the comments below the article have noted that while the manufacturers are telling them to take their time completing with the intricate repairs and making sure the old sealant is properly removed and the new sealant is applied properly, they aren't actually paying for them to take that extra time. This is going to be even more of an issue for Toyota techs, who don't work on Boxer engines all the time. Using a BMW engine in the new Supra is probably going to result in the same uneven service experience.
      Yes. I agree 100%. We can't expect all the bugs to be discovered by a company before launch. I wish that was the case, but it never seems to be. I wonder what the actual cost of "proper" take your time labor is when compared to just sending out a new engine and dropping it in. Labor is always more costly than parts. An engine sounds like a big deal, but it's still just a part. Things like this turn me away from a Brand however. Subaru reportedly keeps more problems secret than GM does. If that's even possible. Moving forward, very little in this world can be kept secret. Even bigger things like the darker global affairs of governments. Everything is just OUT THERE in plain sight. And we, as consumers, just get "used to it" . Weird.
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Liked
      2675 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      My Dart very occasionally has "uncommanded acceleration". I take my foot off the throttle, but the RPMs just keep going up at a moderate rate. It's done this maybe a dozen times in the time I've owned it (it will be 6 years in May). Braking will stop it after a couple of seconds. The first time it happened, I bumped it into neutral, and that also stopped it after a few seconds. One time it happened and I happened to be going in a straight line with no other traffic, so I just let it go. As far as I could tell, it was going to accelerate at a moderate rate until it hit a drag limit. Should I report this? *shrug* I have no intention of letting some government agency that probably can't tell a PCM from a sundial touch my Dart, so it's never going to happen.
      Repeat after me : Boeing 737 MAX 8 and 9 . (and on an even more fun note: Corvette mid engine C8 test mules - Hee Haaw !)
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      See signature
      Liked
      160 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by dad's dart View Post
      Repeat after me : Boeing 737 MAX 8 and 9 . (and on an even more fun note: Corvette mid engine C8 test mules - Hee Haaw !)
      "The United States government has found no basis in which to ground these planes until further evidence is found of these issues"...

Wait WTF?! Yeah. Good ole gov. Look into it AFTER it's all messed up (and spend billions in investigations and hiring 'contractors'.. ie. Someone's cousins making it rich off of someone else's backs and issues.m)
      dad's dart likes this.
      Mods:
      MOPAR Cold Air Intake
      MOPAR Shift knob
      Deyeme Short shift arm

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      2675 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      "The United States government has found no basis in which to ground these planes until further evidence is found of these issues"...

Wait WTF?! Yeah. Good ole gov. Look into it AFTER it's all messed up (and spend billions in investigations and hiring 'contractors'.. ie. Someone's cousins making it rich off of someone else's backs and issues.m)
      Well, they grounded them now as far as I know. I like how the news says that the "inspectors" were largely Boeing employees. Personally, I always think the worst when it comes to any technology changes in transportation products. There IS a point in time where manufacturers of ANY product find a sweet spot - where "things" are working just fine. Without going off into a tangent, for the purpose of the Boeing planes, I believe that the goal is to build planes that require less qualified and expensive human pilots. Eventually , all of advancements in technology will be for this goal. Be it Grocery Clerks or Medical Doctors or Air Pilots.
      Anything so that the 0.5% (used to be the 2%, then later the 1%) can keep more of their money. End Game: The 0.5% enjoying the Worldly pleasures without paying and employing humans to Gitt Thangs Dunn.
      Back in the 70's we were alarmed by the fiction stories of a "Brave New World" . Turns out, the New World isn't even based on any bravery. Just the opposite. It's now based on fear.
      Back to car talk & new car choices..... why don't we call out Boxer engines for what they are? Bad Ideas. Bad Ideas with low height and bringing a lower center of gravity to design.
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      See signature
      Liked
      160 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Well, they grounded them now as far as I know. I like how the news says that the "inspectors" were largely Boeing employees. Personally, I always think the worst when it comes to any technology changes in transportation products. There IS a point in time where manufacturers of ANY product find a sweet spot - where "things" are working just fine. Without going off into a tangent, for the purpose of the Boeing planes, I believe that the goal is to build planes that require less qualified and expensive human pilots. Eventually , all of advancements in technology will be for this goal. Be it Grocery Clerks or Medical Doctors or Air Pilots.
      Anything so that the 0.5% (used to be the 2%, then later the 1%) can keep more of their money. End Game: The 0.5% enjoying the Worldly pleasures without paying and employing humans to Gitt Thangs Dunn.
      Back in the 70's we were alarmed by the fiction stories of a "Brave New World" . Turns out, the New World isn't even based on any bravery. Just the opposite. It's now based on fear.
      Back to car talk & new car choices..... why don't we call out Boxer engines for what they are? Bad Ideas. Bad Ideas with low height and bringing a lower center of gravity to design.
      Boxer engines? I'm not sure if you are being cheecky or if there is something wrong with them. Lol. I never heard anything bad about them except they use timing belts but I'll digress from that argument.

How about that though with technology. I remember this book I had when I was a wee boy back in the mid 80s. It talked about in the near future we will have self driving cars (now found to be a bad idea), robots to do the work for us (and make everyone poor), and that the average humans work week would be 3 to 4 days a week at 4 to 6hrs a day (driving companies to high turnover and pinching every penny as well as not requiring giving options for health insurance and humans having to work 3 jobs to make ends meet).

Wow.. what a future.. /soapbox
      dad's dart and Killraven like this.
      Mods:
      MOPAR Cold Air Intake
      MOPAR Shift knob
      Deyeme Short shift arm

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      2675 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Kind of kidding about Boxer engines...... I mean, who expects performance engines to work trouble free for long times without fussy service intervals? I mean, the free espresso at Porsche dealer service depts is kind of part and parcel..... unless those customers just do the valet servicing. What fun is that?
      I see the future... and it is robotic golf club caddys .... and lots more!
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      2675 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Does anyone else think it will be hard for GM to introduce a new mid engine Corvette without more than typical first year problems? I do .
      They already delayed it dueto electrical problems requiring a whole new harness system and the chassis couldn't tolerate the power of a top trim engine.
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3862 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Does anyone else think it will be hard for GM to introduce a new mid engine Corvette without more than typical first year problems? I do .
      They already delayed it dueto electrical problems requiring a whole new harness system and the chassis couldn't tolerate the power of a top trim engine.
      I question why GM is even doing this. There's nothing wrong with them wanting to build a high-performance mid-engine car, but why make it a 'Vette? This is an iconic car with 66 years of history that they're screwing around with. Also, if they got the chassis specs and the wiring harnesses wrong, I question the quality of the engineering going into this thing.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Sponsored Links