what's up with the 500 Abarth?
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on what's up with the 500 Abarth? within the Fiat Chrysler Automobile Discussion forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; Trying to figure it out on my own, but I must admit, the internet is very confusing right now regarding the 500 Abarth. There seems ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Like Tree18Likes

Thread: what's up with the 500 Abarth?

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Voting in 2020. Because
      Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob and Weathertech mats!
      Liked
      2675 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Trying to figure it out on my own, but I must admit, the internet is very confusing right now regarding the 500 Abarth. There seems to be some really cool versions that were put out in Europe only, Aussy, etc, but the new versions never made it to the States from what I can read. Very confusing. Local dealers have Spiders all over the new lots. But not a single 500 Abarth.
      The Fiat official site seems unclear also. Maybe it's just me. But I don't understand what Fiat is doing with the North American version. If anything.
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Dodge Dart GT 2014 orange
      Mods
      See sign
      Liked
      277 times
      Mentioned
      23 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I wouldn't be suprise if they ditch it in america. I would have love to see some 695 biposto or 595 competizione over here or just the face lift 500 but it doesn't seems like they are bringing them. Even their american website still have them as 2017 models while their europe website are 2018 models
      RRM lightweight Pulley + Tuner, HPSI CAI with Ram air, MPX Ceramic coated Header, MPX catback, MPX bored throttle body, Catch Can, Autolite Copper plug, MPX hood strut, Mopar lip kit, Mopar sport hood, Black wrap roof, Rideskinz Spoiler, Eibach Pro-kit, Eibach rear sway bar, Moog Link Kit front/rear

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3862 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by dad's dart View Post
      Trying to figure it out on my own, but I must admit, the internet is very confusing right now regarding the 500 Abarth. There seems to be some really cool versions that were put out in Europe only, Aussy, etc, but the new versions never made it to the States from what I can read. Very confusing. Local dealers have Spiders all over the new lots. But not a single 500 Abarth.
      The Fiat official site seems unclear also. Maybe it's just me. But I don't understand what Fiat is doing with the North American version. If anything.
      The European and North American Abarths have always been different under the skin. For example, the NA version has always been MultiAir, but the European version was DOHC (that may have changed). They had completely different ECUs as well. Also, I think the automatic version of the Abarth (which uses a heavy-duty Aisin 6-speed) is only offered in North America. As @Anch implied, the entire 500 line is something of a sales disaster in North America. There is really no reason for the Fiat or Abarth brands to exist in North America at all. These vehicles should have probably been part of a more comprehensive Dodge lineup, along with the Dart, although the 500 would have needed extensive cosmetic surgery.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Liked
      2675 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      The European and North American Abarths have always been different under the skin. For example, the NA version has always been MultiAir, but the European version was DOHC (that may have changed). They had completely different ECUs as well. Also, I think the automatic version of the Abarth (which uses a heavy-duty Aisin 6-speed) is only offered in North America. As @Anch implied, the entire 500 line is something of a sales disaster in North America. There is really no reason for the Fiat or Abarth brands to exist in North America at all. These vehicles should have probably been part of a more comprehensive Dodge lineup, along with the Dart, although the 500 would have needed extensive cosmetic surgery.
      Yes..... FCA , other than Jeep/RAM and somewhat Dodge "heavies" , has no desire to cater to American tastes in the smaller car and lower cost funmobiles. In my area, all of a sudden, and even though it's frigid winter, a TON of Focus ST's and Fiesta ST's have been popping up all over the place! They used to be a rare summer sight, but now the dealers are pumping them out like Civics !!!
      And not to have an FCA bash-fest, but I'll also say that the Alfa cars and suv's are frozen in place (very cold around here) on dealer lots. Great job Sergio..... I wonder how many "Edsel's" you can come up with here in North America? Maybe they need a Movie Franchise tie-in like Nissan to get the blood pumping?????
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Dodge Dart Mopar '13 Edition #105
      Liked
      21 times
      Mentioned
      5 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I live along I-35 in Kansas and when I see a 500, about 50% are Abarths. Of course I don't see 500's every day, but the Abarths do seem to be more common around here. I just did a quick build and price on Fiat's website and out of 38 500's within a 150 mile radius, 7 were Abarths. I would be interested except my wife isn't comfortable in sub-sub-compacts. To her the Dart is ALMOST too small...
      dad's dart likes this.

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      2675 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by HSARMopar13 View Post
      I live along I-35 in Kansas and when I see a 500, about 50% are Abarths. Of course I don't see 500's every day, but the Abarths do seem to be more common around here. I just did a quick build and price on Fiat's website and out of 38 500's within a 150 mile radius, 7 were Abarths. I would be interested except my wife isn't comfortable in sub-sub-compacts. To her the Dart is ALMOST too small...
      That sounds about right percentage. Some Abarth's aren't much more than a lesser model ! But they are small. There is no way of describing them without the small part thrown in. Also, even the fans of the car (owners) on the zillion YouTube reviews I've seen always always always mention the high seat height and odd placement of the three pedals (manual of course) that do not equal a desirable driving position for pert near any size human. But, I suppose we're "splitting hairs" about things like comfort and such. Even a Spider/Miata interior is just plain tight. Almost as though to say that if you are too big to enjoy such a sporting unit, you are probably either too old, or too overweight, or both. I can see why my money would have to go to a Mustang or a Corvette or a Challenger. At least you got some wiggle room. It's almost like shopping the men's department at Target. I swear their entire inventory was sized for Munchkins. Seriously.
      Name:  The-Wizard-Of-Oz-1939.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  45.5 KB "And as we wind on down the tar ....Our shadows taller than our car......"
      BTW.... where the H E double hockey sticks IS everybody???? How dare Forum members have lives outside of this territory! And what about Off Topic Area? It's gonna be COLD for over a week and I'm on vacation........ C'mon ... I know you're out there.................................

Name:  Sheldon-sheldon-cooper-31414107-500-337.gif
Views: 147
Size:  659.3 KB Bring it back! Apparently Small is the new Big..... Name:  small car.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  134.8 KB
      HSARMopar13 likes this.
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      16 Gti
      Liked
      163 times
      Mentioned
      13 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      500s are actually a lot bigger on the inside then the outside and sit pretty well. It also helps that they don't hold value at all and can get then stupid cheaper even new. When they finally get around to updating it i would be interested to see if it does any better because the current interior looks liek it's out of teh mid 2000s

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2016 Dodge Dart GT
      Mods
      Mopar automatic pedal kit, Mopar slush mats, Mopar trunk mat, tinted windows, Mopar license plate f
      Liked
      41 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I read that the new 500 Abarth is coming out in the spring. That is really what I wanted when I purchased my Dart. They were hard to find and whenI did find one they sold quickly. This fall it was different story, I found a lot of them. Right now the short supply is a result of waiting for the 2018 model.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is missing her Dart!

Vehicle
      '05 Grand Cherokee
      Mods
      [stock]
      Liked
      5686 times
      Mentioned
      516 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by rsamson67 View Post
      I read that the new 500 Abarth is coming out in the spring. That is really what I wanted when I purchased my Dart. They were hard to find and whenI did find one they sold quickly. This fall it was different story, I found a lot of them. Right now the short supply is a result of waiting for the 2018 model.
      I dunno who told you there's a new Abarth coming. I know that they've done a minor facelift to the 500, but I haven't read anything about the Abarth 500 after 2017.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Dodge Dart GT 2014 orange
      Mods
      See sign
      Liked
      277 times
      Mentioned
      23 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by suzq044 View Post
      I dunno who told you there's a new Abarth coming. I know that they've done a minor facelift to the 500, but I haven't read anything about the Abarth 500 after 2017.
      In europe, the abarth did got a little facelift similar to the regular 500 but with a more aggressive front end. I don't see them bringing all their abarth versions over here, since they offer two differents versions of it, the 595 and 695. The regular 595 is our abarth, but the three 595 packages (pista, turismo and competizione) are more track focused. Then the 695 Rivale, is the track car with brembo brakes, more power and stuff like that. In america, I think offering the 595 turismo would be a good compromise while keeping the abarth alive.
      RRM lightweight Pulley + Tuner, HPSI CAI with Ram air, MPX Ceramic coated Header, MPX catback, MPX bored throttle body, Catch Can, Autolite Copper plug, MPX hood strut, Mopar lip kit, Mopar sport hood, Black wrap roof, Rideskinz Spoiler, Eibach Pro-kit, Eibach rear sway bar, Moog Link Kit front/rear

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links