Dinghy Towing with the DDCT
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Dinghy Towing with the DDCT

This is a discussion on Dinghy Towing with the DDCT within the Dodge Dart Transmission forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; Does anyone have any experience with dinghy towing a Dart with the DDCT transmission?...

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
    • 2 Post By jsblanch

Thread: Dinghy Towing with the DDCT

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart
      Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Question Dinghy Towing with the DDCT

Does anyone have any experience with dinghy towing a Dart with the DDCT transmission?

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3875 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Huiess View Post
      Does anyone have any experience with dinghy towing a Dart with the DDCT transmission?
      While no explanation is given, this is what it says in the 2013 owner's manual:

1.4L Turbo Engine
      Trailer towing is not recommended.
      This is independent of the transmission type. Presumably towing puts too much load on the engine/turbo and creates excessive heat. I'm not sure what effect towing has on the DDCT itself, but it's probably nothing good.

Note that the early editions of the 2013 owner's manual did indeed have towing recommendations listed for the 1.4T (I can't remember them, and I ain't going out to my car in the freezing rain to check). I would recommend you make sure you refer to the 6th (and final) edition of the 2013 Dodge Dart owner's manual, as there are other changes as well (I know the wheel lug torque specs changed, and having the wheels bolted on properly is... kind of important).

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart
      Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      While no explanation is given, this is what it says in the 2013 owner's manual:

This is independent of the transmission type. Presumably towing puts too much load on the engine/turbo and creates excessive heat. I'm not sure what effect towing has on the DDCT itself, but it's probably nothing good.

Note that the early editions of the 2013 owner's manual did indeed have towing recommendations listed for the 1.4T (I can't remember them, and I ain't going out to my car in the freezing rain to check). I would recommend you make sure you refer to the 6th (and final) edition of the 2013 Dodge Dart owner's manual, as there are other changes as well (I know the wheel lug torque specs changed, and having the wheels bolted on properly is... kind of important).
      I'm not towing a trailer with my Dart. I'm looking for people who have used the Dart as a "dinghy" (That is towing the Dart behind a motorhome with all four down).

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member

Vehicle
      Liked
      3875 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      I'm not towing a trailer with my Dart. I'm looking for people who have used the Dart as a "dinghy" (That is towing the Dart behind a motorhome with all four down).
      Ah, my apologies. The owner's manual says that can't be done with the DDCT. The only "correct" way to tow a DDCT Dart is with all 4 wheels off the ground (ie. a flatbed trailer).

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Dodge Dart Mopar '13 Edition #105
      Liked
      21 times
      Mentioned
      5 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      Ah, my apologies. The owner's manual says that can't be done with the DDCT. The only "correct" way to tow a DDCT Dart is with all 4 wheels off the ground (ie. a flatbed trailer).
      Correct. The only Darts that are safe to dinghy tow are the manual transmission versions. The DDCT and automatic transmission will suffer damage if towed four down. Also, towing with just the front wheels up can result in rear end dragging, so dolly towing is never acceptable.

Currently the only FCA vehicles good for dinghy tow seem to be the 4WD versions with two speed transfer cases (read: Jeep, Ram, Durango), the Jeep Wrangler in all forms and the manual transmission version of the new Compass. The manual Challenger used to be dinghy towable but is no longer (at least since 2017). Motor Home Magazine's website posts a yearly guide that is mostly correct regarding cars/trucks that are dinghy towable. If in doubt, check the owner's manual.

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart
      Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by HSARMopar13 View Post
      Correct. The only Darts that are safe to dinghy tow are the manual transmission versions. The DDCT and automatic transmission will suffer damage if towed four down. Also, towing with just the front wheels up can result in rear end dragging, so dolly towing is never acceptable.

Currently the only FCA vehicles good for dinghy tow seem to be the 4WD versions with two speed transfer cases (read: Jeep, Ram, Durango), the Jeep Wrangler in all forms and the manual transmission version of the new Compass. The manual Challenger used to be dinghy towable but is no longer (at least since 2017). Motor Home Magazine's website posts a yearly guide that is mostly correct regarding cars/trucks that are dinghy towable. If in doubt, check the owner's manual.
      According to this site the 2015 Dart with DDCT can be towed with all four down which matches the 2015 Owners Manual: http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/dtg_2015.pdf (this is consistent with the MotorHome Magazine also). I have cross checked that both the 2015 and the 2013 have the same transmissions (same part numbers). So which is correct? I either can't or can. I have asked Mopar, but they say to refer to my owners manual.
      Dual Clutch transmissions are not automatic transmissions in that they consist of a manual transmission with dual input shafts and either a hydraulic shift solenoids in the case of the Dart or electronic shift solenoids as in the Focus. Here is a great video explaining the transmission used in the Dart: . I see nothing mechanically that could be damaged while flat towing. If it where in neutral, the only thing spinning would be the differential and the output shaft which is being lubricated by the transmission fluid just like in a manual transmission. I'm looking for a good explanation to why it can't be flat towed before I either sell the car or take the gamble and try it out. I will most likely sell the car - I'm not a gambler.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member

Vehicle
      Liked
      3875 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      According to this site the 2015 Dart with DDCT can be towed with all four down which matches the 2015 Owners Manual: http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/dtg_2015.pdf (this is consistent with the MotorHome Magazine also). I have cross checked that both the 2015 and the 2013 have the same transmissions (same part numbers). So which is correct? I either can't or can. I have asked Mopar, but they say to refer to my owners manual.
      Dual Clutch transmissions are not automatic transmissions in that they consist of a manual transmission with dual input shafts and either a hydraulic shift solenoids in the case of the Dart or electronic shift solenoids as in the Focus. Here is a great video explaining the transmission used in the Dart: . I see nothing mechanically that could be damaged while flat towing. If it where in neutral, the only thing spinning would be the differential and the output shaft which is being lubricated by the transmission fluid just like in a manual transmission. I'm looking for a good explanation to why it can't be flat towed before I either sell the car or take the gamble and try it out. I will most likely sell the car - I'm not a gambler.
      The 2013 owner's manual doesn't differentiate between the C635 DDCT and 6F24 automatics, whereas the 2015 manual does. I guess it's probably fine to flat-tow the DDCT, then.

Sponsored Links