Need help!
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Need help!

This is a discussion on Need help! within the Dodge Dart Transmission forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; Bought a short throw shifter and new shift knob, I cannot figure out how to remove the reverse ring to completely uninstall the bottom of ...

User Tag List

Thread: Need help!

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

is researching build in progress.

Vehicle
      2016 2.4L Dodge Dart GT Sport Blacktop
      Mods
      Yes
      Liked
      40 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Angry Need help!

Bought a short throw shifter and new shift knob, I cannot figure out how to remove the reverse ring to completely uninstall the bottom of the shift knob
      2016 Dart GT manual transmission.
      Currently sitting in my car frustrated with my center console in a million pieces. If anyone can point me to a video that would be great!

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      762 times
      Mentioned
      133 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Manual, C635 / KNOB, Gearshift / Removal

REMOVAL

NOTE: The upper hemisphere of the gearshift knob is fastened to the lower hemisphere with polyurethane adhesive. The upper hemisphere must be destroyed to remove it.

1.•Using a 15 mm (5/8 in.) hole saw or drill bit, drill a hole (3) in the crown of the upper hemisphere of the gear shift knob (1) to gain access to an internal nut (2).
      •Alternate method: Using Channel-lock™ pliers, fracture the upper hemisphere and separate it from the gear shift knob lower hemisphere.

Name:  dartgearshiftknob1.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  17.4 KB

2.Using a suitable vacuum cleaner or regulated 3.4 kPa (50 psi) shop air, clean the access hole of debris.

3.Remove nut (2) holding the gear shift knob to the gear shift lever.

4.Separate the gear shift knob from the gear shift lever.

21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Manual, C635 / KNOB, Gearshift / Installation

INSTALLATION

NOTE: The service replacement package should contain a small tube of adhesive.

1.Align the flat guide surface inside the center pass through hole in the lower hemisphere with the flat on the gearshift lever and push down until the gearshift knob seats.

2.Install the nut (1) to hold the gearshift knob (2) to the gearshift lever.

Name:  dartgearshiftknob2.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  19.2 KB

3.Apply 6 mm (1/4 in.) daubs of adhesive in three locations (2) next to the elongated slots on the lower gear shift knob (1).

Name:  dartgearshiftknob3.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  21.7 KB

4.Align the longest lock-tab on the upper hemisphere (1) to the longest slot on the lower hemisphere (2).

5.Push the upper hemisphere (1) downward until it locks in place.

Name:  dartgearshiftknob4.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  20.4 KB
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Vehicle
      Mods
      Yes
      Liked
      40 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      You're a life saver thank you so much! It turns out they put a ton of adhesive on both hemispheres... Good thing I bought a new knob too. Completely destroyed my stock one trying to get passed the glue...

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2016 Dart 1.4l T
      Mods
      On going
      Liked
      65 times
      Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      i thought you need to get the reverse lock out removed? the shift knob was easy for me...pics of the removal of the reverse collar please? i ordered the short shifter as well and would like to see details

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Vehicle
      Mods
      Yes
      Liked
      40 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by 187Flatliner View Post
      i thought you need to get the reverse lock out removed? the shift knob was easy for me...pics of the removal of the reverse collar please? i ordered the short shifter as well and would like to see details
      My shifter was glued to the stalk, probably the only reason I had hell with it.
      As for the reverse collar removal, I removed the O-Ring first, then I straightened out a paper clip and cut it into 4 prices. I used a flat head screwdriver driver to pry the 4 "lips" away from the bevel in the stalk. After that I gave it a good tug and it slipped right off. I don't have pictures right now, but I did forget to install my shift let bushings while I was in so I'll take some while I'm back in there unless you get it straightened out by then.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
      Dual AeroForce Pillar Gauges, Alpine 10" Sub, Ground Effects, 30 Front 0 Rear Tint, LED interior and exterior conversion, HercuLEDS Island Bezel, HercuLEDS Sequential Tail Lights, MOPAR CAI, MOPAR Forced Air Induction, MOPAR Shift Knob, MPx Bored Throttle Body, MPx Shift Bushings, MPx Short Throw Shifter, RRM Spectrum Tuner, Smoked Tail Lights, Footwell Lights.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Vehicle
      Mods
      Yes
      Liked
      40 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by OkiDoke View Post
      My shifter was glued to the stalk, probably the only reason I had hell with it.
      As for the reverse collar removal, I removed the O-Ring first, then I straightened out a paper clip and cut it into 4 prices. I used a flat head screwdriver driver to pry the 4 "lips" away from the bevel in the stalk. After that I gave it a good tug and it slipped right off. I don't have pictures right now, but I did forget to install my shift let bushings while I was in so I'll take some while I'm back in there unless you get it straightened out by then.

Shifter bushings*

Dual AeroForce Pillar Gauges, Alpine 10" Sub, Ground Effects, 30 Front 0 Rear Tint, LED interior and exterior conversion, HercuLEDS Island Bezel, HercuLEDS Sequential Tail Lights, MOPAR CAI, MOPAR Forced Air Induction, MOPAR Shift Knob, MPx Bored Throttle Body, MPx Shift Bushings, MPx Short Throw Shifter, RRM Spectrum Tuner, Smoked Tail Lights, Footwell Lights.

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by alpinegreenneon View Post
      21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Manual, C635 / KNOB, Gearshift / Removal

REMOVAL

NOTE: The upper hemisphere of the gearshift knob is fastened to the lower hemisphere with polyurethane adhesive. The upper hemisphere must be destroyed to remove it.

1.•Using a 15 mm (5/8 in.) hole saw or drill bit, drill a hole (3) in the crown of the upper hemisphere of the gear shift knob (1) to gain access to an internal nut (2).
      •Alternate method: Using Channel-lock™ pliers, fracture the upper hemisphere and separate it from the gear shift knob lower hemisphere.

Name:  dartgearshiftknob1.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  17.4 KB

2.Using a suitable vacuum cleaner or regulated 3.4 kPa (50 psi) shop air, clean the access hole of debris.

3.Remove nut (2) holding the gear shift knob to the gear shift lever.

4.Separate the gear shift knob from the gear shift lever.

21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Manual, C635 / KNOB, Gearshift / Installation

INSTALLATION

NOTE: The service replacement package should contain a small tube of adhesive.

1.Align the flat guide surface inside the center pass through hole in the lower hemisphere with the flat on the gearshift lever and push down until the gearshift knob seats.

2.Install the nut (1) to hold the gearshift knob (2) to the gearshift lever.

Name:  dartgearshiftknob2.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  19.2 KB

3.Apply 6 mm (1/4 in.) daubs of adhesive in three locations (2) next to the elongated slots on the lower gear shift knob (1).

Name:  dartgearshiftknob3.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  21.7 KB

4.Align the longest lock-tab on the upper hemisphere (1) to the longest slot on the lower hemisphere (2).

5.Push the upper hemisphere (1) downward until it locks in place.

Name:  dartgearshiftknob4.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  20.4 KB
      I don't have that 10mm bolt, 2015 SXT 2.4 Manual. Any ideas on how I can get that knob off?Name:  dart1.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  498.2 KB

Sponsored Links