Dual Dry Clutch Transmission Problems - Page 6
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Dual Dry Clutch Transmission Problems

This is a discussion on Dual Dry Clutch Transmission Problems within the Dodge Dart Transmission forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; Originally Posted by StrikeEagle So, I've isolated a common thread in my Dart's U0101 error. The past 3 times that I've been out, parked and ...

User Tag List

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Dual Dry Clutch Transmission Problems

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dart Limited Bright White Diesel Gray/Ceramic Leather Interior 1.4 L Multi-Air Turbo w/ DDCT 6
      Liked
      2 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by StrikeEagle View Post
      So, I've isolated a common thread in my Dart's U0101 error. The past 3 times that I've been out, parked and then turned the ignition to "Accessory" to keep the radio going, the car has flipped on the CEL and thrown a U0101 code. The code keeps the CEL on for about 4 start cycles, then goes off. Two more cycles, and I get the dreaded Service Transmission message on the Driver Info Center. Five more start cycles, and the transmission message goes away to be replaced by the CEL light again. This CEL stays on for 3-6 start cycles. During the entire time, the U0101 code stays on; even when I clear the codes.

I'm uploading a couple of video's to YouTube for reference. Will post links as soon as they finish loading.
      So, several months have gone by, and no, I didn't fall off the face of the planet. Life gets crazy when you have teenage kids.

Shortly after posting the videos, I took "Zero" into the dealer who sold us the car. They pulled the codes and said that there was some issue with the ECU talking to the TCU. Great! They reflashed the TCU again, and sent me on my way. After driving for just a few weeks, the issue returned, but was not as previlent, and frankly, I just learned to 'work around' the behavior for a bit.

Last week, though, things took a MAJOR change. My wife was driving "Zero" and was pulling onto a freeway on ramp, when the car just stopped running. The engine reved once, with no power to the wheels, and then nothing. She tried to restart, but got zip. All of the tranny shift indicators where red, as in my video, and the car would NOT start.

Called Dodge roadside assistance, and had the car towed to the nearest dealer. A different dealer than it had been going to for prior service. Since it was a Friday evening, there was little to be done. A tech looked at it on Saturday, and basically could not get the TCM to even respond. It was acting like it was dead. Since the expert tech did work on Saturday, I'd have to wait until Tuesday for him to spend focus time on the car. (he was already booked up for his Saturday shift) So, the dealer gave us a loaner, and said they'd be in touch.

Tuesday afternoon rolls around, and we get a call that the car is fixed and ready for pickup. Turns out the TCM had died, and had intermittently been dropping off line in talking with the ECM on a regular basis. The ECM codes all related to lack of communication with the TCM. 13 codes in all. As a result, they swapped out the TCM, checked all the connections and communications functions between the computers, and called us.

Thus far, all seems well. The car is again relearning how I drive, as they had to clear the ECM and the TCM had to be flashed to the latest code. So, from an computer perspective, it's like driving a newly rebuilt car. The standard shift points seem to be back down to 3500 rpm, or so, but under load, they will run up past 4k. Different shift point than I've ever had on the car, to date. I've specifically performed the behaviors that previously would cause the CEL and/or Service Transmission errors, and, thus far, nothing has thrown a code.

In speaking with the tech that worked on the car, he mentioned a couple of key things to me. 1. This is now his 3rd Dart with a similar issue, that has needed a TCM replacement. (and that's why they had the unit in stock at the dealer) 2. based on the error code log, the issues started after the 'recall flash' was performed. I pressed on this issue, and pointedly asked if the flash was performed incorrectly, or if the code was just bad. Though he would not come right out and say so, it was clear that in his opinion that the flash was not correctly applied, or some other issue occurred at the time the TCM was flashed the first time. He also indicated that this was NOT the first time he'd seen a bad flash job kill a TCM. (but he would not get any more specific than that)

This "new to me" dealer is a 5 Star dealer, and they will in all likelihood get the majority of my business, even though they are a 30 minute drive from my house. Their communication and openness about the issues are IMHO a big win. And, since I have the Chrysler Lifetime extended warranty, dealers will get a fair share of my service business as the vast majority of it will be covered under warranty.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart SXT/Ralleye 1.4L Turbo
      Liked
      68 times
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      The moral of the story....Don't get a DDCT, or automatic. Get a manual!
      Deadpool likes this.

Banned
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      13 1.4T DDCT SXT *pending buyback* 03 1.8T VW Jetta 02 2.8 VR6 VW GLX
      Liked
      2462 times
      Mentioned
      121 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by tmhilliard74 View Post
      Maybe not.

https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodg...d-all-way.html

Its a car, not perfection on wheels. Then again, the new $70,000 Alfa Romeo 4C comes with my exact same DDCT transmission. Must not be that bad after all, no?

Last edited by Pretty Boy Floyd; 07-16-2014 at 09:06 PM.
      tandr2005 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dart Limited Bright White Diesel Gray/Ceramic Leather Interior 1.4 L Multi-Air Turbo w/ DDCT 6
      Liked
      2 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by tmhilliard74 View Post
      With my knees, a stick is NOT an option.

Banned
      Rank

Rep

is ignored, OHHHH darn,lol.

Vehicle
      header orange 2014 GT / 2000 Dodge Dakota RT [email protected]
      Mods
      baby seats, HT 2.25 Exhaust, RRM pulley, Injen CAI, MPx STS, Focus Based 91 Octane Tune
      Liked
      968 times
      Mentioned
      86 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy Floyd View Post
      Maybe not.

https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodg...d-all-way.html

Its a car, not perfection on wheels. Then again, the new $70,000 Alfa Romeo 4C comes with my exact same DDCT transmission. Must not be that bad after all, no?
      i doubt that, the 4c makes more power to the wheels stock then your 1.4 maxed out. im sure the DDCT in that car is rated for almost DOUBLE what your gas saver is rated. get a clue, your DDCT is a watered down gas saver trans not a luxury / sports model. plus rich ppl are lazy and dont like to drive manuals. duh.
      Last edited by Deadpool; 07-16-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart SXT
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      My 2013 SXT has just over 20K miles on it. We too have had some alarming transmission problems).

Issue #1 - Car slipped from Drive to Neutral (two different times). Vehicle lost power while pulling onto a roadway (in front of a pack of cars). Another time, I was in the merge lane entering a highway. I thought I was going to have to ditch into the median. It was terrifying.

Issue #2 - Car would not go into gear. After backing into a parking space to wait for a passenger, the car would not go back into gear when we tried to leave. Every light on the gear panel was illuminated red. The car ignored every attempt to change gears. After turning the vehicle off, and then back on, I was able to get it into gear. However, the CHECK TRANSMISSION light came on, and lingered for 2 days.

During the same visit, the Service Dept applied some "updates" and neither problem has recurred since (we've gone 3 months without any transmission incidents).

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dart Limited
      Liked
      4 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Time to add one more to the list.
      Name:  10619917_690537254363403_8037109393423803057_o.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  419.2 KB

2013 Limited, 1.4L Turbo w / DDCT
      Purchased 2/1/2013 (My B-day present to myself last year, so I can't forget the date)

I have multiple vehicles, so although the Dart is my "daily driver", I do sometimes drive my van or my Jeep. I average about 1,000 mi per month in the Dart.

April 18th, 2014, the FIRST problem occurred:
      Name:  10259253_616270768456719_1530660362004970818_o.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  186.1 KB

Note the left: All the gears lit up in RED. When this happens, it won't start, nor can you get it out of Park.
      Also, the 'wind up' noise sounded 'strained' compared to normal.
      If I kept trying, it would eventually go back to normal (only P in red, rest in white) and start.

I reported this to the dealership, and had them look since it had the "Service Transmission" notification show up every start for a while.
      They checked it out, said they couldn't find anything wrong, and said 'it must have been a one-off'.

Now, let's fast-forward a few months: Sometime in August, my Odometer starts flashing and I could no longer get into the Hands-Free setup, nor connect my phone via Bluetooth. It seemed to one a one-time thing, so I didn't worry about it then, but toward the end of August, it became a 'permanent' problem were restarting the car would not fix it. I took it to the dealership on September 2nd.

Now get this:
      I drive the car there, and it seems okay.
      They pull it into the Service Dept, then not even 15 minutes later come out and offer me a loaner telling me in trying to read the codes, it went 'dead' and wouldn't start (I bet the gearshift was all red, too). They replaced the "Conversense" module, re-flashed everything else, and had me pick up the car on 9/9. I drove it home, parked it since I needed the use of another vehicle. Driving it home, it didn't seem right to me, so I advised my father to not drive it since I feared the problem would rear it's head again.

And sure enough, on 9/14, my dad drove the car about 6 miles to a store. When he tried to return home, the shifter went all-red, and wouldn't start. After 30 minutes when I got there, it was back to the flashing ODO. Waiting a few more minutes, we got it to start, but now the CEL is on, and it was shifting very slow.

Tuesday, it went back to the dealer. They checked it out and first advised the transmission needs to be replaced. After some hub-bub around it, apparently Chrysler caught it and informed the dealership to replace the TCM and another component, and test.

I love the car when it works. But this is just one more thing on top of all other issues since day 1 with it.
      Last edited by UberGadgetFreak; 09-17-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart 1.4 Turbo w/DDCT
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I have the 1.4 with the DDCT, and have been watching this site for a bit now. I have been having the same problems service transmission message comes up and won’t go away until the car is turned of for a bit. sometime the check engine light will come of and eventually after letting the car sit it will be normal again. I bought the car in the states and now stationed in England where my warranty doesn't apply here but they do have dodge mechanics. Anyways the dealer said it was the ECU not talking to the TCM, but they wouldn't change anything until they see it with their own eyes.

I just want to know if anyone has found a fix for this transmission problem. I am past the 36000 mark now and i can't sell the car in the country without paying import tax which is about 4000 pounds. The transmission service has been coming on for about 3 months now and i just keep driving the car because no one here will fix it for me.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is Great

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4t.
      Mods
      RRM Products: CAI, Downpipe, Lightwieght Crank Pulley, Stage 3 ultimate ECU, Turbo Blanket, Downpipe
      Liked
      20 times
      Mentioned
      8 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I just got the service trans light drove 20 MI then parked it, wouldn't start then disconnected the battery then reconnected it starts with transmission eeprom code and lost coms with trans control module code. Anyone else know of updates or had this issue?

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is Great

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4t.
      Mods
      RRM Products: CAI, Downpipe, Lightwieght Crank Pulley, Stage 3 ultimate ECU, Turbo Blanket, Downpipe
      Liked
      20 times
      Mentioned
      8 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Feztech View Post
      I just got the service trans light drove 20 MI then parked it, wouldn't start then disconnected the battery then reconnected it starts with transmission eeprom code and lost coms with trans control module code. Anyone else know of updates or had this issue?
      Shifted fine seemed normal operation for the trans and actually shifted very smoothly

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links