Should I purchase the 2014 2.4L Rallye
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on Should I purchase the 2014 2.4L Rallye within the Dodge Dart Purchasing forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; So I think I want to purchase a 2014 2.4 Rallye with the UConnect. Should I avoid this? If I go through with it what ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Should I purchase the 2014 2.4L Rallye

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

So I think I want to purchase a 2014 2.4 Rallye with the UConnect. Should I avoid this? If I go through with it what are some problems I should expect to occur? Thanks!

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is never trading the thrill of
      living for the safety of
      existance.

Vehicle
      White 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4T Manual SXT
      Mods
      Weathertech floormats, CAI, Plastidipped white rims/pillars, various decals
      Liked
      377 times
      Mentioned
      48 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Well there's a few things.

1. Don't swivel the passenger sunvisor, they are prone to breaking off. It's possibly built to break. Up and down is OK just don't swivel it carelessly, there's a weak spot in the stem for no apparent reason.
      2. In colder weather there's the squeaking of the front strut towers when turning at parking lot speeds, common complaint. Not a whole lot you can really do about it other than replacing the front strut caps and waiting for it to happen again.
      3. Cold weather causing the gas cap to freeze shut; lubricate the lid seal to avoid the problem in winter.
      4. Electrical gremlins with the touchscreen; quite the variety of problems out there about them.

I have a 2013 1.4, and have experienced all the above except #4 because I have the standard radio (which ironically I have to replace next week). Quality control improved drastically in subsequent years overall, but I'd stay away from the year '13. Biggest thing I'd be worried about if I were you would be the fancy tech dash and the electrical gremlins. The Dart isn't fast and was never intended to be fast so if speed is your thing I'd look elsewhere. It's a heavy car, around 3,300 pounds and doesn't have the 200+ horsepower needed to get out of it's own way. However you put on an oversized rear sway bar and some good tires and the car handles corners like a dream and it's where the Dart imo really shines. I've heard with a light foot it can also get pretty good gas mileage though with the 2.4 I'd expect less than the shouted 40+ mpg I hear from time to time.

A couple things new drivers miss out, and salesmen often forget about, is the radio controls on the back of the steering wheel and the cubby storage area under the passenger seat cushion. Another thing of note is the Dart has one of the deepest glove boxes I've ever encountered.
      "You hate your car. It is meant to be destroyed and repaired. It is merely a machine that is keeping you from attaining your true top speed. Press on the skinny pedal. Turn every once in a while. Fasten your belts securely. Drive it in anger." -Don Burress, Demon Rally Team

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT Auto Bright White
      Mods
      Driver Mod
      Liked
      1109 times
      Mentioned
      72 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by B_2847 View Post
      So I think I want to purchase a 2014 2.4 Rallye with the UConnect. Should I avoid this? If I go through with it what are some problems I should expect to occur? Thanks!
      What are you looking for in a vehicle? What other vehicles have you considered?

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Killraven View Post
      Toss up between the 2014 Dart, 2015 Volkswagen Jetta, and 2015 VW Golf. The dart is just the cheapest option, then the Jetta, and the golf is the most expensive

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Killraven View Post
      What I’m looking for in a vehicle is styling, decent performance, and something that won’t break down on a regular basis.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      16 Gti
      Liked
      164 times
      Mentioned
      13 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Toss up between the 2014 Dart, 2015 Volkswagen Jetta, and 2015 VW Golf. The dart is just the cheapest option, then the Jetta, and the golf is the most expensive
      I'm gonna say this. I had a dart gt (15) and ended up switching to a 16 gti just this past december. As a whole the vw is way quieter, more powerful (not totally sure on the 1.8 but they are very tunable like the 2.0 gti), and way nicer in looks (my opinion) and materials. The only thing the dart did better was having a uconnect but the vw system isn't all that bad. If you can try to get a 16 golf, that was the first year you could android auto or apple car play which is really nice. On top of all that the golf in 15 switched to the mqb platform which helped a ton in reliability. If i had to rank i would go 1. Golf, 2. Dart, 3. Jetta (worse interior then both and questionable reliability much like the dart unless you get lucky)

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart rallye 2009 Chevy Colorado 5.3 v8 2002 Chevy Camaro SS 2005 Harley Superglide custom
      Liked
      11 times
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I have the 2014 Rallye and no problems. u connect acts up once in a while, disconnect battery and it resets itself. Gas mileage could be better, 23mph city, 31mph hwy.

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      743 times
      Mentioned
      131 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      The 2.4 engines can have oil consumption problems. Because of the multiair, if oil goes low, it can stall for no apparent reason. The touch screen can fail and there is no other replacement other than another touch screen. At least verify the touch screen and check the dipstick. If you really like the Dart, consider looking for one that has the 2.0 and no touch screen. It may be a slower engine and the radio doesn't dazzle, but don't you want reliable above all else? Many on here have that engine and a touch screen with no issues but the chances of getting one that is trouble free in the used vehicle market are not that great. Would you trade in a vehicle that is trouble free?
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      16 Gti
      Liked
      164 times
      Mentioned
      13 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by alpinegreenneon View Post
      Would you trade in a vehicle that is trouble free?
      Yes? A ton of people trade in their cars to upgrade to something better. We traded in out dart for a 19 ram and out 14 cherokee for the gti technically. At the end of the day there were zero issues wit the two cars, we just wanted something different/ more fun

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Voting in 2020. Because
      Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob and Weathertech mats!
      Liked
      2676 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      And there you have it! The smart money goes on a cheap lease of a new unit you can discard like Johnny Carson did wives. Because no matter what car, you're never really out of a payment hole based on average repairs and irritations . Except for maybe a later year Avenger ! With the V6.
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links