Dodge Dart Forum banner

I think it's a wheel bearing, dealer says its just tire wear

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Cntrollerfanboy 
#1 · (Edited)
Going between 40 and 60 is most noticable, as the video shows. Making right turns, the sound goes away completely, straight and left it's there.

This would most likely be the passenger side bearing, wouldnt it? Dealer is trying to blame tire feathering on both rears. We have the extended warranty, and it seems like the dealer is trying to avoid repairing it.

You have to listen closely, because of the wind/road noise, but its noticeable in the video.

Who's right?

TIA!

#2 ·
Video doesn't show up. If you jack up the front end, do you notice any slop when you try to shake the wheel?

Reactions: SmokyOwl
#3 ·
I will just say I thought I had a bad wheel bearing on my rear driver side, I took my car in for to get a leak fixed and it turned out to be my tire. They replaced the rear tires and the noise was gone. But AFAIK you should be able to jack the car up and grab the wheel at the 12 and 6 position and push in at 12 pull out at 6 and do that back and forth and if there is movement then the wheel bearing is the issue. or if you spin the tire while its in the air do you hear it growling or grinding.

#4 ·
I had a feathering/cupping issue too, and after several thousand miles the tire ended up oval-shaped and turned out to be a bad/bent rim. I deduced this after several months. I didn't want to move the wheel to a different axle in case it was the tire, and I didn't want to damage a wheel bearing if that was the case (because I had replaced the bearing thinking that was the problem once already). But after replacing the tire (due to excessive tire wear) and having the problem return I knew it wasn't the tire anymore, so all that was left was the rim. It did give me an excuse to buy an aftermarket set of rims, and it solved my problem.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks.

I went back outside, jacked up both sides and checked thoroughly and it is definitely the bearing. The rear driver side has no play from 12 to 6, and spins free with no noise. The rear passenger side is a different story. There is the slightest amount of play, and spinning it by hand is pretty noisy/grindy.

I'm calling the dealer in the morning and setting up an appointment to have it actually fixed. I have a feeling the tech didn't even check; just saw the feathering on the tire and assumed that was it.

I forgot to mention in the previous post, but the noise has gotten worse over the past few months. My wife flatout refuses to drive it, anshd I don't like taking my kids in it because of how loud it can get inside the cabin. Also, gas mileage has tanked to around 21-22mpg range, from the usual 27 (mixed city/highway).

I'll update with results, or lack thereof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.