Vibration on acceleration - Page 2
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Vibration on acceleration

This is a discussion on Vibration on acceleration within the Dodge Dart Mechanical Problems forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Pit Row category; I never had a problem putting a floor jack under an engine. Just use a short piece of 2x4 between the oil pan and the ...

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vibration on acceleration

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      770 times
      Mentioned
      135 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I never had a problem putting a floor jack under an engine. Just use a short piece of 2x4 between the oil pan and the jack to help distribute the weight. Never dented an oil pan yet.
      Zeprider likes this.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart Rallye, bone stock.1987 Ford Mustang GT, loud and proud
      Liked
      5 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I've had this issue as well, and it's progressed to the point of severe knocking and shaking under regular driving. From what I understand it's the cv axle, as mine doesn't vibrate under idle conditions.

It basically feels like a wheel is about to fly off. I would suggest getting your cv axles checked. When I searched this issue I saw many posts from 2013 and 2014 about it being a cv axle.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2016 Dodge Dart GT
      Mods
      HPSI Intake/Ram Air Tube, Solid Rear Trans Mount, RRM Pulley, CDV delete, MP Bored TB/Short Shifter
      Liked
      42 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      The vibration you are describing is normally one of the cv joints going bad.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Limited 2.0L Tungsten 6spd/Auto
      Liked
      137 times
      Mentioned
      17 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Today I had the chance to investigate the right front wheel area. This appears to be the source of the vibration on acceleration. In addition I've been looking for a clunk noise from the right side as well. So everything points to this area. Based on research here I need to check tie rods, ball joints, brake caliper play (there was a TSB for earlier models), play in the cv shaft, damaged boots etc.

I rocked the wheel at 3 and 9, solid. Rocked the wheel at 12 and 6, solid. So I start removing the lug nuts and I come across one that is loose! Tight enough to stay in place however. I continued to take it out. Felt like it was spinning against some rust. No biggie. Happened many times before on many vehicles. When I finally got it out it was stripped.

It doesn't come out stripped unless it was stripped going in.

Name:  20190611_124758.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  2.17 MB

The last time the wheels were removed was in January for a rotation and this was done by Tire Kingdom. I paid them a visit immediately. The fella I talked to told me that between the rotation in January and today, it stripped itself. I told him that was ludicrous. I asked him, "so your telling me that machines the world over suffer from bolts that randomly strip themselves, IN PLACE?" He didn't have much of a reply. He kept countering with well it's been five months. I told him that was irrelevant. It doesn't matter if you stripped it today, yesterday, twelve moths ago. It's stripped!

He also stated that if it was loose over the course of five months that it would have fallen out. I countered with, "Well, it didn't fall out, it's right here!" (showing him the picture). He stated, "How do I know that you didn't do it? Or someone else removed the wheel. I wasn't there when you took the lug nut out. When you first found it loose and it was a little stiff coming out, you should have come to us right away!", I said who thinks like that and what good would it do? You will say the same thing, "How do I know you didn't bla bla bla."

I told him, the last people to remove the wheel was Tire Kingdom. Bolts don't strip themselves and that this must be remedied. In addition, there are no weights on the wheel. Your cheap weights flew off somewhere. He said that some wheels might not need weights. I said I am aware of that but there are two locations on the wheel where there were weights. The factory weights, and the weights you put on when I bought the tires.

This manager does his best to redirect and deflect. I don't fall for that. We've made arrangements to bring it in tomorrow after ten am.

10-1 the guy that did the rotation stripped it going in and decided to snug it best he could. And he would do this because when the lug nut is stripped you can probably bet that the hub is stripped. That's MONEY and he didn't want to take the hit. The employee knew this and quietly moved on. Sending me on my way with a stripped lug nut.

These people irritate me.
      2013 Dodge Dart Limited

• Tungsten Metallic Clear Coat
      • Diesel Gray / Ceramic White Leather Seats
      • 2.0-Liter I4 DOHC Engine
      • 6-speed Powertech 6F24 Automatic Transmission
      • 17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Aluminum Wheels
      • Uconnect® 8.4/RE2 AM/FM with SiriusXM
      • Power Express Sunroof
      • Keyless Enter-N-Go Push Button Start
      • LED "Racetrack" Taillamps
      • Limited, Technology, and Premium Groups

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      770 times
      Mentioned
      135 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      That lug bolt is about $5 new from Dodge. Not worth the grief arguing and making a nuisance of yourself, even though you are in the right. Buy your self another and learn to do your own work. You also run run the risk of these tire shop monkeys crushing your rocker panels when they put your car on their lift. Just not worth it.
      I just remembered I have some spare lug bolts. PM me your address, I'll send you a couple. Cancel the appointment. Driving on 4 lugs until you get the spare lug bolt is not all that risky since you have been basically doing that for 5 months.

EDIT:
      You may want to try a good lug bolt where the stripped bolt was to verify that the hub threads are not also stripped. If they are, you will need a new hub.

Consider getting yourself a M12 x 1.25 lug bolt guide to hang the wheel and make it easier to start the lug bolts:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/M12x1-25-lu...sAAOxyVLNS6FaN
      Last edited by alpinegreenneon; 06-11-2019 at 08:32 PM.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Limited 2.0L Tungsten 6spd/Auto
      Liked
      137 times
      Mentioned
      17 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by alpinegreenneon View Post
      That lug bolt is about $5 new from Dodge. Not worth the grief arguing and making a nuisance of yourself, even though you are in the right. Buy your self another and learn to do your own work.
      I absolutely do my own work. I've been wrenching since the early 80's. My cars, my motorcycles, I love the work. But I hold those accountable for their work to a strict rule.

I just remembered I have some spare lug bolts. PM me your address, I'll send you a couple. Cancel the appointment. Driving on 4 lugs until you get the spare lug bolt is not all that risky since you have been basically doing that for 5 months.
      That is very kind of you. However, I have made an ERROR in assigning fault. I went through my records and discovered that the last outfit to remove the wheels was Hollywood Chrysler in Aug/18 when they did a rotation during an oil change. I will certainly apologize to the guy at the tire store. I may hold people to a strict rule but when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Let me see how the dealer handles this first.

EDIT:
      You may want to try a good lug bolt where the stripped bolt was to verify that the hub threads are not also stripped. If they are, you will need a new hub.
      First thing I tried. It would not go in. I knew right then and there that the hub was damaged.

Consider getting yourself a M12 x 1.25 lug bolt guide to hang the wheel and make it easier to start the lug bolts.
      I know about them. I ran a wrecker for years, ran calls for AAA and other motor clubs. Mounting a wheel is second nature. Lugs go in and come out typically smooth. It would take an air gun to do this. Because if you threaded it by hand you would know that it went in wrong.

The proper way to remount a wheel is to insert the lugs by finger and spin them a couple of turns. Then move onto your tool of choice. These shop guys mate the lug to the air gun, shove it in the hole, and pull the trigger. What kind of results can you expect when this is your practice.
      57ChryslerDart likes this.
      2013 Dodge Dart Limited

• Tungsten Metallic Clear Coat
      • Diesel Gray / Ceramic White Leather Seats
      • 2.0-Liter I4 DOHC Engine
      • 6-speed Powertech 6F24 Automatic Transmission
      • 17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Aluminum Wheels
      • Uconnect® 8.4/RE2 AM/FM with SiriusXM
      • Power Express Sunroof
      • Keyless Enter-N-Go Push Button Start
      • LED "Racetrack" Taillamps
      • Limited, Technology, and Premium Groups