Dodge Dart Forum banner

2014 Dart 2.4 Oil Question

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Tamachick 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, well we all know that the 2.4 has oil consumption issues. I have read things stating it is the Multi-air and also that piston rings were incorrectly installed among other things. I would like to know if anyone who has a 2015 and newer Dart and if they are experiencing any oil consumption issues. My Dart has about 90k and loses about a quart every 700-1000 miles. When it gets low it will stall from a stop and puff out a huge cloud of white/blue smoke. I am still paying off this car so I don't want to sell/trade at a loss. I am thinking about buying a newer motor if they do not have the same issues as I am having now and yanking my old one out and getting rid of it. I am also considering inspecting the bores and seeing if they are worn and sending out the block to be bored and installing new pistons, rings, bearings and seals. Dodge obviously isn't gonna replace my engine so please chime in with your experiences.

#3 ·
Hi I’m going through allll of this mess now as I type. My 2015 dart limited starting stalling on me and shutting off. Soooooo long story short. Car was at 44,000 when purchased 8 weeks ago, now is at 50,300! Dealership was giving me the run around so I had to THOROUGHLY/ SLIGHTLY AGGRESSIVELY explain my frustrations. Sooo they sent the car to my local dodge dealer for diagnostics. Came back excessive oil consumption; oil was low. The vacuum SOMETHING? and one dead cell in battery. Here’s the kicker, the resolution was to replace entire engine. Now it does fall under the 60k warranty and it’s beibg put in now. But now my biggest issue is am I just gonna have to monitor my oil like a hawk, just because it’s a new engine does it mean the issue at hand is fixed? As far as the oil consumption goes, this seems like a forever issue. What’s going on with you now?

#4 ·
I would contact FCA Customer Service and see what they can do for you. The next thing would be a dealership who is willing to work with you. When I spoke with them, my car fell in the "normal" range for oil consumption, by their assessment based on my mileage at the time which was about 80k. The dealer told me the 2.4 uses oil and there were also some issues but, regardless, the engine uses some oil based on the design and that is it. There is a powertrain 100k warranty that is still transferable even if you were not the original owner, so if they are willing to change the motor at no cost to you, I would say go for it. I would get everything in writing, ask the same questions at least twice, and also make sure that you are not going to have to put out a penny. They did the oil consumption tests and it led to nothing. I just made it a habit of always checking my oil, and when the car starts to have that stall, take it as a sign that it is low and I need to top it off. If I drive aggressively, it uses more oil than normal as with some vehicles. It sucks but it is what it is.

#7 ·
Hi, I am also in the process of doing the oil consumption test. Same thing happened to me. The car all of a sudden stalled in middle of road. It turned out it was out of oil and I have been on top of changing my oil and had just changed it and the oil life was at 60% or so. Took it to dealer. They found no leaks. Now doing consumption tests. We shall see how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.