1.4T Misfiring
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

1.4T Misfiring

This is a discussion on 1.4T Misfiring within the Dodge Dart Mechanical Problems forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Pit Row category; Hey all, I know I have a few threads open at the moment that have this info, but those threads are not centered around this ...

User Tag List

Like Tree9Likes
    • 2 Post By sharkcohen
    • 2 Post By Alec123
    • 2 Post By pkgmsu2000
    • 1 Post By Alec123
    • 2 Post By wasaab

Thread: 1.4T Misfiring

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is :)

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T
      Liked
      37 times
      Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Smile 1.4T Misfiring

Hey all,

I know I have a few threads open at the moment that have this info, but those threads are not centered around this issue.

About a week after installing my E+D Phase 1+ tune, I started getting misfires. With my engine being at 36k miles, I figured that it was the spark plugs, no big deal. I flashed back to stock just to be sure, and voila, I'm still getting misfires. So I checked the coils and what do I find under coil #1? What looks to be water damage, and I cannot tell if it seeped into the cylinder, but I doubt it, the thread side of the plug didn't have the same damage as the coil side. Figured I should buy new plugs ASAP just to narrow down the issues.

So since I wanted to treat myself, and I bought a bunch of stuff from Eurocompulsion, including the Brisk Silver plugs, and I put those in last night, and flashed E+D Phase 1+. I noticed a tiny increase in performance, but as soon as I put the pedal down to the floor, bang. Misfire. Cylinder #1.

I'm at work currently, and can't go check things, but I can monitor this thread to answer any questions that can lead to me fixing this issue. I've read around and figured it very well may be the coils, which if I'm going to replace 1, I might as wel do all 4, so I'll hold off since they're kinda pricey.

Also let's go on a dealer rant!

I bought my lovely Dart from a Dodge dealership near me. Fantastic buying experience, I'll say that. However, my bumper-to-bumper expired in February, after buying the car in December. All I have left is Powertrain, and that ends at 100k miles or December 2018.

To my point:

When I found that the car was misfiring, I called up the dealer and let them know the issue. The damage in the spark plug well, the misfire, everything. The tech on the phone said "Yeah bring it in, how does 8am do for you?" Told him I would see him at 8am. Fast-Forward to yesterday morning when I went to the dealer. I get there a bit early, and I see the techs bringing in a couple cars, so I figure I should go inside and see them. Speak to the same guy I spoke to on the phone, and he asks me a couple more questions. "What's wrong?", "How many miles?", and "How long has this been going on?"

After answering his questions, he says "Do you mind waiting around for 3-5 hours? One of our techs called in sick and we won't be able to get to your car for a long time"
      I tell him that I have to be at work and that I can't be there all day. He says Ok and starts tacking away at his keyboard. After about a minute, he looks at me and says "Your Bumper-To-Bumper is expired, which is what spark plugs fall under, so I would have to charge you per plug and for labor." I tell him that I have new plugs on the way, and that I would install them myself. So I asked him about the coils, and he says the same thing.

Now what makes me mad about this whole thing is this next part.

He says "I'm sorry man, I see you have quite a drive to get here.[30 min] If I knew that I would have told you not to come in since my tech wasn't here."

B**CH! You knew he called in sick and you still jerked me around, trying to get me to stay for 3-5 hours just to be told that I'd have to pay you more money since something isn't covered. Very inconsiderate person, and very unprofessional.

END RANT.

Anyway, what do you guys think about the misfire issue? Coils? Something different? Let me know, and thank in advance for your help!
      EDIT:

Let me just add that I have an OBD-II scanner, and verified that it is a cylinder #1 misfire. The one with that water damage in the spark plug well. I believe the code was P0301?
      Last edited by dankqueef; 10-20-2016 at 06:37 AM.

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is What to do next?

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart Aero 1.4L Turbo w/ 6-speed Manual Trans.
      Mods
      CHECK THE SIGNATURE PUNK!
      Liked
      1713 times
      Mentioned
      260 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by dankqueef View Post
      Hey all,

I know I have a few threads open at the moment that have this info, but those threads are not centered around this issue.

About a week after installing my E+D Phase 1+ tune, I started getting misfires. With my engine being at 36k miles, I figured that it was the spark plugs, no big deal. I flashed back to stock just to be sure, and voila, I'm still getting misfires. So I checked the coils and what do I find under coil #1? What looks to be water damage, and I cannot tell if it seeped into the cylinder, but I doubt it, the thread side of the plug didn't have the same damage as the coil side. Figured I should buy new plugs ASAP just to narrow down the issues.

So since I wanted to treat myself, and I bought a bunch of stuff from Eurocompulsion, including the Brisk Silver plugs, and I put those in last night, and flashed E+D Phase 1+. I noticed a tiny increase in performance, but as soon as I put the pedal down to the floor, bang. Misfire. Cylinder #1.

I'm at work currently, and can't go check things, but I can monitor this thread to answer any questions that can lead to me fixing this issue. I've read around and figured it very well may be the coils, which if I'm going to replace 1, I might as wel do all 4, so I'll hold off since they're kinda pricey.

I bought my lovely Dart from a Dodge dealership near me. Fantastic buying experience, I'll say that. However, my bumper-to-bumper expired in February, after buying the car in December. All I have left is Powertrain, and that ends at 100k miles or December 2018.

To my point:

When I found that the car was misfiring, I called up the dealer and let them know the issue. The damage in the spark plug well, the misfire, everything. The tech on the phone said "Yeah bring it in, how does 8am do for you?" Told him I would see him at 8am. Fast-Forward to yesterday morning when I went to the dealer. I get there a bit early, and I see the techs bringing in a couple cars, so I figure I should go inside and see them. Speak to the same guy I spoke to on the phone, and he asks me a couple more questions. "What's wrong?", "How many miles?", and "How long has this been going on?"

After answering his questions, he says "Do you mind waiting around for 3-5 hours? One of our techs called in sick and we won't be able to get to your car for a long time"
      I tell him that I have to be at work and that I can't be there all day. He says Ok and starts tacking away at his keyboard. After about a minute, he looks at me and says "Your Bumper-To-Bumper is expired, which is what spark plugs fall under, so I would have to charge you per plug and for labor." I tell him that I have new plugs on the way, and that I would install them myself. So I asked him about the coils, and he says the same thing.

He says "I'm sorry man, I see you have quite a drive to get here.[30 min] If I knew that I would have told you not to come in since my tech wasn't here."

B**CH! You knew he called in sick and you still jerked me around, trying to get me to stay for 3-5 hours just to be told that I'd have to pay you more money since something isn't covered. Very inconsiderate person, and very unprofessional.

END RANT.

Anyway, what do you guys think about the misfire issue? Coils? Something different? Let me know, and thank in advance for your help!
      EDIT:

Let me just add that I have an OBD-II scanner, and verified that it is a cylinder #1 misfire. The one with that water damage in the spark plug well. I believe the code was P0301?
      Im gonna add a guess to this one, maybe its the wiring from the ignition system to the coilpaks? That would be lame, but I am also wondering which coilpaks you bought and how many? Not only that, but the unless your brisk plugs are gapped correctly there will be issues... For those of us in the northern states that done see constant nice weather, the brisk plugs do not run their best once it starts to get colder out. My personal experiences with them lead me to recommend stock NGKs for the fall and winter months and then spring/summer months are safe for the brisk plugs at least thats how ive been running an have had no issues... I also have my brisk plugs gapped at either .022" or .023".
      FOR P0299 CODE: REPLACE YOUR BOOST SOLENOID EITHER VIA THE DEALER OR OEM REPLACEMENT...

1 of 81 BUILT IDENTICAL

Mods:
      - MPx Intercooler Pipes
      - Custom Built 3" SRI w/ K&N cone filter
      - Stock Wastegate Adjustment (8mm)
      - RRM Lightweight Pulley
      - DRP Race Dump
      - AEM Boost Gauge
      - CravenSpeed TB Spacer
      - ECS Tuning Catch Can on the line from the PCV to the intake manifold
      - 17"x 7" Konig Control Matte Black Rims
      - BF-Goodrich G-Force Sport COMP-2 tires
      - Black Bezel Headlight Swap
      - RRM Ultimate Stage 3 Tune
      - Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors
      - Cravenspeed Short Throw Shifter
      - XenonSupply 6000K HID headlights
      - Progress Rear Sway Bar
      - Energy Bushings
      - Moog Front & Rear End Links
      - Deyeme Flex Rear Engine Mount
      - Deyeme CDV Delete
      - HPSI Silicone Vacuum Hose Kit
      - Red Plasti-Dipped Crosshair, Fog light accents & "Mouth" grille
      - AGS Assembly Removal
      - Bosch Alfa Romeo 4C CoilPacks
      - 27" x 7" x 2.5" Upgraded FMIC
      - RRM Hi-Flow Cat Downpipe
      - PTP Turbo Blanket
      - Heat Wrapped Cold Intercooler Pipe
      - Weathertech In-channel Air/rain Deflectors
      - Squadra Sportiva Carbon Nero S shift knob
      - Moog Front Wheel Bearings
      - Oracle Red Halos
      - Forge Atmospheric BOV
      SOON TO COME: MTD Cam, Exhaust Manifold, Turbo & Tune

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

Vehicle
      Liked
      37 times
      Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Exitus04 View Post
      Im gonna add a guess to this one, maybe its the wiring from the ignition system to the coilpaks? That would be lame, but I am also wondering which coilpaks you bought and how many? Not only that, but the unless your brisk plugs are gapped correctly there will be issues... For those of us in the northern states that done see constant nice weather, the brisk plugs do not run their best once it starts to get colder out. My personal experiences with them lead me to recommend stock NGKs for the fall and winter months and then spring/summer months are safe for the brisk plugs at least thats how ive been running an have had no issues... I also have my brisk plugs gapped at either .022" or .023".
      I'm running the stock coils at the moment. I'll be able to test them more this weekend when I'm off. And how would I test the wiring?

Let me add that it's not a constant misfire, and seems to misfire when I'm around 3.5k RPM. This issue just has me lost.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

is For great justice.

Vehicle
      2017 Fiat 124 Spider
      Liked
      773 times
      Mentioned
      77 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Swap the cylinder 1 coil to another cylinder, see if the misfire follows it.
      pkgmsu2000 and wasaab like this.
      2013 Aero DDCT
      My Garage
      Build Thread

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4L Turbo 6 Speed Manual
      Mods
      K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake, Powerstop Drilled & Slotted Front Rotors w/pads, Red Painted Calipers,
      Liked
      49 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by dankqueef View Post
      Hey all,

To my point:

END RANT.

EDIT:

So i was having misfiring issues as well with my dart. it was a 2013 1.4t rallye. with around 30,000 miles when it started happening. I replaced all 4 coilpacks. I had the same thing. I was having a misfire in cylinder 3 so i changed that pack. Then a week later i had a misfire in cyliner 4, so i changed that coilpack. This continued for a month. I literally changed one a week for 4 week. The misfires just kept changing cylinders. Once I replaced all 4, it was fine from then on. I was later told that it kept changing cylinders because i changed one at a time and not all 4 at once. I dont know if this information is true or not, but i figured id pass it along. I would recommend allmoparparts for the coilpacks. Same part number as the dealer had and i paid around 45 when the dealer wanted 98. https://allmoparparts.com/amp-parts/#parts Hope this helps
      youngsmith53 and pkgmsu2000 like this.

Car Chief
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      1931 times
      Mentioned
      209 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Alec123 View Post
      So i was having misfiring issues as well with my dart. it was a 2013 1.4t rallye. with around 30,000 miles when it started happening. I replaced all 4 coilpacks. I had the same thing. I was having a misfire in cylinder 3 so i changed that pack. Then a week later i had a misfire in cyliner 4, so i changed that coilpack. This continued for a month. I literally changed one a week for 4 week. The misfires just kept changing cylinders. Once I replaced all 4, it was fine from then on. I was later told that it kept changing cylinders because i changed one at a time and not all 4 at once. I dont know if this information is true or not, but i figured id pass it along. I would recommend allmoparparts for the coilpacks. Same part number as the dealer had and i paid around 45 when the dealer wanted 98. https://allmoparparts.com/amp-parts/#parts Hope this helps
      post #23 from @wasaab ... https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodg...tml#post528898... he talks about why you need to replace all 4 packs at once, we are blessed to have such knowledgeable and friendly car guys here at the ORG
      Alec123 and sharkcohen like this.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4L Turbo 6 Speed Manual
      Mods
      K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake, Powerstop Drilled & Slotted Front Rotors w/pads, Red Painted Calipers,
      Liked
      49 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by pkgmsu2000 View Post
      post #23 from @wasaab ... https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodg...tml#post528898... he talks about why you need to replace all 4 packs at once, we are blessed to have such knowledgeable and friendly car guys here at the ORG
      I wish i saw that post before i started having those issues. And yes, honestly this forum has so much information and helpful members. I traded in my dart and now have a jetta now. And ive been looking for a forum and nothing comes close to comparing to here.
      pkgmsu2000 likes this.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

Vehicle
      Liked
      37 times
      Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      After reading that post, and seeing that the user was getting "Jerky acceleration between 2nd and 3rd" It's kinda of similar to my issue. Lower RPMs between 1st, 2nd and 3rd are usually fine. 4th gear and on it misfires around 3.5k RPM and the smooths out. I'll swap out the coils and see how it goes from there. Thanks everyone for your input!

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 6speed Manual
      Mods
      K&N Typhoon CAI, Go Fast Bits DV+, Deyeme Racing Firm Transmission Mount, CDV Delete
      Liked
      42 times
      Mentioned
      9 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @pkgmsu200 thanks for the mention! I am happy to see this is helping people with their issues. I also feel the same, this forum is great and I have learned a lot from many of the knowledgable people here as well. I'm sorry lately i've been swamped and have not been able to post more as of recent. Hopefully that will change soon, been a very busy month. If people would find it helpful I can make a video explaining the test procedure checking the coils using the current ramp method. Keep in mind you will need a scope and a current clamp for this, which I understand not everyone will have or want to invest in. The current ramp method can be applied to many other things as well, such as fuel injectors or fuel pumps which all help to diagnose issues. I have found the scope to be an invaluable tool when I was a mechanic, and it was nice to not just throw parts at a customers car but to walk them over and prove that the part actually failed.

Anyway i'm hoping to very soon purchase the Eurocompulsion tune as well and do some testing with it. Have to wait a bit as I had to drop $1200 on new suspension Parts for my wife's Volvo, our rough CT roads have finally worn it out after 93K.
      dankqueef and pkgmsu2000 like this.

Sponsored Links