Manual Transmission Question for the 2.4 - Page 2
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Manual Transmission Question for the 2.4

This is a discussion on Manual Transmission Question for the 2.4 within the Dodge Dart GT forums, part of the Dodge Dart GT Forum - Dodge Dart GT Discussion category; I really hope you didn't buy it unless it was like $500 and with a new clutch setup is worth 6K.. I think that's the ...

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Manual Transmission Question for the 2.4

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT Manual Blue Streak Pearl Coat
      Mods
      See signature
      Liked
      160 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I really hope you didn't buy it unless it was like $500 and with a new clutch setup is worth 6K.. I think that's the only way I would buy it... And I would have to have already had a daily to drive.
      Last edited by Dartanyion; 01-22-2019 at 03:21 PM.
      Mods:
      NGK LZTR4A-11 5306 copper spark plugs gapped to .048
      MOPAR Cold Air Intake
      MOPAR Shift knob
      Deyeme ice blue CDV delete
      Deyeme Short shift arm
      Deyeme ice blue shift rod
      Deyeme ice blue Firm Rear Trans Mount
      Kenda Kaiser KR-20s (Front)
      Metal blue valve stem caps
      Chrome door handle covers

Supporting Vendor
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Vendor
      This user has no status.

Liked
      46 times
      Mentioned
      25 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Zark View Post
      I just took it for a drive and going up hill in 5th gear at 52mph I was losing speed while the RPMs were climbing.
      The easiest way to find out if your clutch is slipping, is to put the car in gear.
      Say, 3rd gear. Then hold the gas consistently with your right foot.

Then with your left foot push on the brake. You should see the rpms stay consistent, and the speed fall.

If you see the rpms flare up and raise higher, than you have a slipping clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGun36 View Post
      Let me start off my saying: RUN!

I purchased my 2015 GT 2.4, 5 spd, w/19k miles on it and the clutch began slipping a year later. The exact same symptom as you described. The flywheel alone is almost $500, and the clutch kit doesn’t even include the throwout bearing (another $200). Pretty sure the previous owner learned how to drive stick on it and turned it in. Additionally, I was unaware that the dart had a CDV, which for anyone who knows how to drive a manual, only adds additional and unnecessary wear and tear. Long story short, I went online to Modern Performance for parts, and even with them being a fraction of the dealership’s cost, came out to around $1200. I upgraded my clutch to Clutchmasters FX100, replaced the dual mass flywheel with the OEM, as well as throwout bearing, and CDV delete. Save yourself a HUGE headache and look somewhere else. Hope I got to ya before you make a regretful decision...
      Thanks for supporting ModernPerformance TopGun36!
      Dartanyion and Swordsage like this.
      https://www.modernperformance.com

2013 Dart SXT 1.4 Turbo manual
      2014 Dart GT 2.4 manual

Have a question about an order at Modern Performance? Call us 713-270-8520

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is waiting for VTEC to kick
      in...yo

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT Fully Loaded 6MT
      Mods
      RRM LW pulley, EC CAI, HID/LED swap, Redlinegoods shiftboot, Rally Armors, Heartthrob exhaust
      Liked
      1950 times
      Mentioned
      288 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I just took it for a drive and going up hill in 5th gear at 52mph I was losing speed while the RPMs were climbing.
      Yeah that is definitely the clutch going out. If your RPMs ever go up (significantly) and your car is not going with it, the clutch is slipping. At least in most cases. Especially here in your example with hills. Obviously OP probably won't be back, since he is not, and it looks like most of the users told him before the end of the day he posted, he probably got the hint and returned it.
      Dartanyion likes this.
      Looking for HIDs? Xenon-Vision install click HERE

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      See signature
      Liked
      160 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Cntrollerfanboy View Post
      Yeah that is definitely the clutch going out. If your RPMs ever go up (significantly) and your car is not going with it, the clutch is slipping. At least in most cases. Especially here in your example with hills. Obviously OP probably won't be back, since he is not, and it looks like most of the users told him before the end of the day he posted, he probably got the hint and returned it.
      Yeah. I'm glad that well.. HOPEFULLY we got through to him. At the same time tho, a little sad for the inevitable new person on the forum.. Posting they just bought a Dart and they love it but.. 'the car is doing weird things like it slows up a hill but the engine is revving higher'... Hopefully that sales lot he was about to get the car from does the right thing and decides to fix the issue before attempting to sell to the next person.
      Mods:
      MOPAR Cold Air Intake
      MOPAR Shift knob
      Deyeme Short shift arm

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

is 04-03-2019: Installed Genuine
      Mopar Pedal Kit Manual Part
      Number: 82214197

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT (Pitch Black)
      Mods
      RRM Lightweight Pulley*Injen CAI*MPx Bored Throttle Body*CDV Delete*Flex Rear Mount
      Liked
      345 times
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Dartanyion View Post
      Yeah. I'm glad that well.. HOPEFULLY we got through to him. At the same time tho, a little sad for the inevitable new person on the forum.. Posting they just bought a Dart and they love it but.. 'the car is doing weird things like it slows up a hill but the engine is revving higher'... Hopefully that sales lot he was about to get the car from does the right thing and decides to fix the issue before attempting to sell to the next person.
      Probably not. They either pawn it off on someone else, or send it to auction where another possible less than reputable situation may come out of it. The sales person also may have no idea. When I bought my Dart, the sales person did not know how to drive a standard, nor did they have any idea how to get the car into reverse.

Prior to purchasing my Dart, I test drove a Red 2014 GT. I heard a noise coming from the passenger rear and thought that the brake pad was shot. As the test drive went on, the noise got worse and you could start smelling the brake. I had took a longer route than the salesperson wanted me to take. At first he was trying to say it was nothing, then he said maybe it was a pad. When the noise got loud and continuous, he sat in silence the rest of the drive.

When I got back to the dealer, the manager and another salesperson finally came to me and said that the caliper was shot and needed to be replaced. They would do it, but then they would no longer be able to sell it to me at the price we had originally been talking about. I told them, I will not pay a penny more than what I originally stated and held firm. I am not obligated to buy a vehicle from them, and they are not obligated to sell me a vehicle. After their continued sales pitch, I just said goodbye and left. The left me a few messages saying they could get a bit closer to my price, but I had my price, and would not move off of that.

I noticed the next day the car was off of their site. I drove by the lot over the next week and the car was never to be seen again.
      Last edited by Mass_Paul; 01-25-2019 at 09:33 AM.
      Dartanyion and 87ShelbyZ like this.
      Mass_Paul
      2014 Dodge Dart GT (Pitch Black)
      * 1 of 4 2014 Dodge Dart GT 4 Door Sedans manufactured in the same color paint &
      built with the same equipment, options & groups (configurations) in the United States

Mods:
      • RRM 2.4L Spectrum Tuner & Lightweight Pulley
      • Injen 2.4L CAI
      • MPx Bored Throttle Body, Polished Shift Knob & Stubby Antenna
      • Deyeme Clutch Delay Valve Delete & Rear Mount (Flex)
      • Autolite Copper Plugs
      • Rally Armor Flaps
      • AVS In-Channel Ventvisors

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      See signature
      Liked
      160 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Mass_Paul View Post
      Probably not. They either pawn it off on someone else, or send it to auction where another possible less than reputable situation may come out of it. The sales person also may have no idea. When I bought my Dart, the sales person did not know how to drive a standard, nor did they have any idea how to get the car into reverse.

Prior to purchasing my Dart, I test drove a Red 2014 GT. I heard a noise coming from the passenger rear and thought that the brake pad was shot. As the test drive went on, the noise got worse and you could start smelling the brake. I had took a longer route than the salesperson wanted me to take. At first he was trying to say it was nothing, then he said maybe it was a pad. When the noise got loud and continuous, he sat in silence the rest of the drive.

When I got back to the dealer, the manager and another salesperson finally came to me and said that the caliper was shot and needed to be replaced. They would do it, but then they would no longer be able to sell it to me at the price we had originally been talking about. I told them, I will not pay a penny more than what I originally stated and held firm. I am not obligated to buy a vehicle from them, and they are not obligated to sell me a vehicle. After their continued sales pitch, I just said goodbye and left. The left me a few messages saying they could get a bit closer to my price, but I had my price, and would not move off of that.

I noticed the next day the car was off of their site. I drove by the lot over the next week and the car was never to be seen again.
      Yes. No one should ever back away from the original agreed price before hand. If the car is broke that is their problem not yours and no one wants to purchase crap.

Reminds me of back in 05' when I had that crappy Cavalier Z24... After the issues really started with it, I decided to fix everything really quick and trade it in. There was a Honda used lot selling a very nice looking Hyundai for a fair price. This was kind of hard to come by for a few years after Hurricane Katrina, as most cars in the area were either flooded, or brand new. Not much in between and even if you could find one, it wasn't cheap. So I went to the dealer to see the car. I saw it online and it looked great. When I got there however.... It looked like someone took a tree branch and just scraped it across the entire car over and over and over. Surely it was probably one that just got beat up in their yard but didn't get flooded. I could tell it didn't get flooded because the interior looked like it had not been cleaned since... Probably ever. It was disgusting inside, but I thought to myself, well.. I can use that to come off the price and maybe I could buff out the scratches outside. Either way it was white which is the cheapest color to get painted or refreshed and I knew body shop guys from being in the car parts biz.. So we went for a test drive. Now the sales guy talked this car up hard from the get go. The first thing I noticed was the auto trans was slipping and hickuping. This wasn't a DDCT... It wasn't a VVT.. It was a standard issue 4 or 5 speed automatic. There is NO good reason for that to be happening. The sales guy said they could check it out for me. But after we got back from the test drive I knew it just wasn't right. So as soon as we got out of the car, of course they were appraising my Cavalier and the guy starts telling me about a one year old Hyundai they have on the lot. I had told the guy multiple times what my budget was (young dumb mistake), but he kept trying to get me to look at the newer (and cleaner, yet $6k more) car. It got to the point that he rudely shouted at me: "You wanted to buy a car didn't you?!" I was like... Nope. Give me my keys I'm leaving. I never went back to that lot. I had an absolute TON of trouble with my cavalier but I will never regret walking away from that lot without the Hyundai.

So many people get conned into the idea of 'Well I'm already here', or 'The salesperson seems like a nice person' or any combination of that and get screwed royally....
      Last edited by Dartanyion; 01-29-2019 at 10:36 AM.
      Mods:
      MOPAR Cold Air Intake
      MOPAR Shift knob
      Deyeme Short shift arm

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Voting in 2020. Because
      Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob and Weathertech mats!
      Liked
      2678 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Hey Everyone, new member to these forums. I just bought a 2016 Dart GT with the manual transmission/11,000 miles and had a question you guys might be able to help me with as I have 5 days left to determine if I want to keep this vehicle.

When I shift into 3rd, 4th or 5th gear and hit the gas the RPMs rev up similar to an automatic transmission. For example, I am doing 30mph in 4th gear and hit the gas, the RPM might rev up to 5000rpm after i've already let off the clutch then taper off down to 3000rpm. Is this normal on new manual vehicles? I know in the past on manual vehicles I've driven and I hammer the gas the rpm locks in relative to my speed. I just want to make sure the gears aren't stripped in this car or that I don't strip the gears by doing this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated =)

Edit: Still trying to determine what's going on but seems like the clutch is slipping. Not sure how bad that is though...
      Flipping around threads - came to this one by chance just today. Two things (maybe three) A) looks like the OP already bought the car, whereas some responses imply "don't buy". B) You don't have to have been an inexperienced clutch driver (first owner) to cause clutch system failures on the Dart. C) Where do these OP's go?
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT
      Mods
      None yet...
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Mine did that ...I shut off the traction control... eliminated the problem

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Voting in 2020. Because
      Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob and Weathertech mats!
      Liked
      2678 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Looks like the OP vanished. I assume he didn't buy it.
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links