My car is wrecked, and I’d like some recommendations.
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on My car is wrecked, and I’d like some recommendations. within the Dodge Dart GT forums, part of the Dodge Dart GT Forum - Dodge Dart GT Discussion category; Hey guys I’m fairly new to the forum, but I’ve been on here hundreds of times. Many of your posts are what motivated me to ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My car is wrecked, and I’d like some recommendations.

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Hey guys I’m fairly new to the forum, but I’ve been on here hundreds of times. Many of your posts are what motivated me to not only purchase a Dart, but mod it a bit. Well this past Thursday, I was hit while driving down the highway in my town. While I do have full coverage, I still have a balance on my loan. The car is considered a total loss, and my loan will be paid in full. My question is this: at what point is it worth keeping my Dart and repairing it myself if I’m capable? Any recommended sites to find a good salvage car to use would be great. I just don’t want to give up on this car yet. I’m literally typing this out, while sitting in my Dart. I wanna add that it’s running and idling just fine, with ac on(it’s a humid 88 here lol). The first 4 photos included are of all damage. Last photo is what it looks like after I removed all damaged parts. I can provide a list of everything damaged if needed, but you can almost literally see everything. Most of the suspension looks decent except the strut honestly. Again, just looking for other opinions. Thanks in advance guys.
      Attached Images Attached Images          

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

is 04-03-2019: Installed Genuine
      Mopar Pedal Kit Manual Part
      Number: 82214197

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT (Pitch Black)
      Mods
      RRM Lightweight Pulley*Injen CAI*MPx Bored Throttle Body*CDV Delete*Flex Rear Mount
      Liked
      348 times
      Mentioned
      20 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Sorry for your accident. Is the frame okay? Also, how wide spread was the impact absorption? Meaning, beyond what was physically hit and/or visually damaged, are there other areas of the vehicle that took on the energy of the impact and may need to be corrected as well?
      Mass_Paul
      2014 Dodge Dart GT (Pitch Black)
      * 1 of 4 2014 Dodge Dart GT 4 Door Sedans manufactured in the same color paint &
      built with the same equipment, options & groups (configurations) in the United States

Mods:
      • RRM 2.4L Spectrum Tuner & Lightweight Pulley
      • Injen 2.4L CAI
      • MPx Bored Throttle Body, Polished Shift Knob & Stubby Antenna
      • Deyeme Clutch Delay Valve Delete & Rear Mount (Flex)
      • Autolite Copper Plugs
      • Rally Armor Flaps
      • AVS In-Channel Ventvisors

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      As far as I can tell, most of the impact damage is secluded to just the one spot. The alignment is off because of some bent suspension parts and the tires are wrecked. But I think the frame is decent enough to keep, and fix the car. The worst spots on the frame are pictured here.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT Manual Blue Streak Pearl Coat
      Mods
      See signature
      Liked
      163 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Depends heavily and unfortunately with the suspension messed up as it is you can't try to verify it can drive a straight line without fixing it :/

Of course there is another option. Gut it, fix only what is required, and turn it into a death kart

Seriously though.. I guess it all depends on what resources you have and what your capabilities are. If you have access to a full body and frame shop, why not man. If you don't have access to any of that stuff and do not already have the capability to bend out frame issues, you may be better off getting rid of it. IF you are lucky and there is minimal required frame fixing, then yeah it's worth it. You can find a dart with a blown engine and talk whomever into a couple hundred to let you have the roller and use those parts or go to the local U-pull it and get everything you need for minimal cash. After that it's just the grind of sanding and painting, and sanding, and clearcoating, and sanding... Did I mention sanding?

**BTW nice drilled/slotted rotors and CAI man.. Sorry that happened to you**

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Well I’ve not had a ton of time to post much more on this, but I took the jump and bought all of the repair parts. This thing is majority untouched from that accident.

Fresh pics show all new installed strut(I forget brand?), stabilizer bar link(moog), steering knuckle(used oem), Front Lower control arm (mevotech), hub assembly(moog), and impact bar(?).

Believe it or not, the new moog hub had enough play in it to be considered “bad” so I’m already getting a replacement for that. I have a new fender, bumper cover, transmission/engine mount(mine is cracked), and axle nut on the way. The only thing I have that’s not pictured with the rest of the new parts is the new oem combination headlight which I bought used for 96.00 plus s&h (I think?). Anyway, here’s some pics. What do you guys think so far?

Sorry about the bad pics, will try to post more later. Thanks again for any responses, as he feedback is appreciated.

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @Dartanyion -nice name! Haha. But yeaaaah, she was getting to be nice. Was hoping to add a lot more mods to her, but alas, life gets in the way sometimes.

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Voting in 2020. Because
      Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob and Weathertech mats!
      Liked
      2679 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      It will never be the same. If that bugs you the way it would bug me, I'd just start fresh with a new car of choice. But it doesn't bother some folks. Me, I can here the difference of having a small pebble stuck in my tread and it will bug me all day until it's out.
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT Manual Blue Streak Pearl Coat
      Mods
      See signature
      Liked
      163 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @Motiv8ted - What are you planning to do about the grill shutters? I'm just curious if there is a way to just hack them to stay open but still keep it from throwing a code.

Also the job looks pretty clean so far man. Looks a lot like you ended up getting a FREE DART! (well minus what you already paid for it on the loan). Plus mo money to mod it with!
      Last edited by Dartanyion; 09-04-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 SXT Rallye, 2.4, AT, Blue Streak Pearl
      Liked
      1411 times
      Mentioned
      35 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      So far nobody has mentioned how disgusting it is that a Dart can be considered totaled with that little amount of damage. If I'd known I was buying a disposable car I wouldn't have bothered getting a new Dart and just continued to buy older used cars instead.

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Voting in 2020. Because
      Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob and Weathertech mats!
      Liked
      2679 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      You'd be surprised how easy it is for any new car to be totaled (cost effective wise). Easier for the insurance company to cover the remaining cost of the car than to pay the extortion rates of a body/repair shop.
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links